Is it worth to play satellites?

freddydr87

freddydr87

League Champion
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
the winters series main events had a lot off satellites,it is worth to buy in some satellites insted off buying in the main events directly?

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Definitely! There is such good value! and even playing smaller tournaments and placing in the top 3, thinking of that as a satellite as well. If you're looking for more inexpensive ways to get into main events, it is totally worth it!

J

japg11

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The satellites are great if you have a limited bankroll. They allow you to play events that you could not pay directly. And above all, the level of the satellites is very easy.

honorwar

honorwar

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you don't have enough money yes.But satellites are tourneys that delay too much.

Last edited:
hugh blair

hugh blair

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have won 2 $109 satellites in spin and go sessions that I broke even and tickets where extra or free nearly for winter series.
Well worth playing satellites then min cashes become huge in target events if you are nearly freerolling.
Same with the Sunday million mincashed for $340 while could be a small profit if bought in for $215 or a loss if rebuy and spend $430.
It is an ok result if satellite in for 10 or 20 dollars.:)

Last edited:
X

xx02pl

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, ofc satellites have very good value. You can win a ticket by small buyin and in sats there are many bad players.

pancho_1954

pancho_1954

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
Of course it's worth playing those satellites, you'll have the option of winning the entry by investing a little money, of course as long as you win the ticket, so you do not have to invest all of your bank, and you could earn more than paying the full ticket

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
it depends on me I prefer to pay some events directly instead of going through the sattelites because I also take into account the time and energy that I will have to provide to achieve my goals.

millya5

millya5

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Satellites - This is a good tournament. You can win a good ticket.

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
It comes down to how you value your time versus your money plus the structure of the satellites. Some are not worth your time.

grumblbrumbl

grumblbrumbl

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think satellites are very profitable. I saw one guy who kept playing in satellites. He won a lot of money, because it won the expensive tickets and played in the expensive tournaments, paying ridiculous money. Satellite-man. But I have no luck in the satellites.

Andrei Korolev

Andrei Korolev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It all depends on your bankroll...

greatgame230

greatgame230

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi yes, when you have a limited bankroll the satellites allow you to access high buy-in tournaments, that's why it's very profitable to play satellites, of course it's more difficult since the positions are limited and there are also two tournaments that you would have to face the satellite and if you get the ticket then in tournament itself

dedok0525

dedok0525

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I won a ticket for $ 11 in the spin & go, and make some money.
winter series provides excellent Satellites. spin & go on the Sunday million is also a great chance. I often prefer to play Satellites.

K

kelvin22

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think they're worth it

it is worth to buy in some satellites insted off buying in the main events directly?

Of course it is. Can save you a lot of money in some cases. But be careful, because it might be tricky. I play satellites all the time, like the 2x shootout ones, but you can find yourself spending more money on satellites, than you would if you paid the entry. As a matter of personal experience, i played about 400$ worth of tournaments one day, with a deposit of just 60, by winning a bunch of satellites, and then one day, i spent 90 trying to win an entry for a 55$ MTT, which i simply couldn't and i had to pay it in the end.

P.S. I highly recommend you play the satellites that will place you in the tournament (if you win the entry that is...), at the point where the blinds are just right for you to start building up. It's those MTT's that start half(ish) hour before the actual tournament.

K

knocker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think so. In the sense that first you have to win the satellite. Say it's 9 players. You have to put up 1/9 of the money and you have a 1 in 9 chance of winning. Unless you're sure you're better than at least 1 of the players there, it is of no advantage to you. Zero.

Then after you win the satellite, which is not any easy thing, in order to get paid back, you have to cash in the tournament. I'll tell you this, it's actually easier to cash in a big MTT than it is to beat 9 players and satellite into one. That's no joke. In the MTT, you only need to beat 3 out 4 players, sometimes even less. In the 9 player, you have to beat 8 out of 8. See what I mean?

Now I said 3 out 4 and you might think that still a pretty tall order. Actually it isn't. I'll give you an example. To cash in the pokerstars Sunday Storm you only need 25,000 chips. If you cna get to 25,000 and stay there, you cash with ease. You start with 10,000. So in real terms, you only have to beat 1.5 players and you get your $11 back plus usually 7 or 8 more.

It's actually about 5 times easier to cash and get your money back just paying the entry fee than it is to win the satellite to get there. Me, I never play satellites.

AMTTT

AMTTT

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
often win tickets satellites, I won the satellite for a $ 7.50 ticket for $ 215 and got to the final table in a tournament, the 30/04/2017:)

K

knocker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
often win tickets satellites, I won the satellite for a $ 7.50 ticket for $ 215 and got to the final table in a tournament, the 30/04/2017:)

Sunday Million?

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I do not prefer the satellites, I prefer to try to earn the buy-in from cheaper mtts. A few times I try them. But in the case of a big and expencive mtt I think they are an interesting option!

RiverLord90

RiverLord90

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
They are definitely worth it. This 21 year old kid got 3rd place in a huge tournament and won over a million that all started from a $5 tournament.

If you have a small bankroll, I would play satellites instead of taking shots directly.

drubas

drubas

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good question.

In my opinion it heavily depends on your bankroll, your skill level and the skill level of the other satellite players.

E.g. I keep it that way:

For satellites 1/500 of my bankroll.

All the best for your games!

Gaviria8

Gaviria8

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Satellites are good option, but you have to be careful and don't invest too much money trying to enter to a great tournament and after loose money that your bankroll can't lose.

rikisrakis

rikisrakis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think of satellites as an opportunity to buy-in to a tournament with skill instead of money. If you're a good player, you will on average spend less money getting into tournaments through satellites than you will by buying in. That being said, I can't help but find it unattractive to know that I'll have to do well in two consecutive tournaments (or more) to cash, because as a whole there's a lot of variance involved. The value is definitely there, though.

Marctowin

Marctowin

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Satellites are always a good reason to get access to the main event for less money. Satellites have a lot of weak players. Take your chance.

Poker Tells