Was it right for John Hesp to reraise all in with top 2 pair?

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
It is because of meta game, all in two pair is definitely correct play here.
PS: watched this , it is a cooler.
but play for win is correct, besides even finished in 4th place, still wins a lot money, if I understand correctly, poker player did not need to pay 40% or so, income tax like US player.

at that point 'play for win' by making a poor decision would not be correct at all.
besides even finished in 4th (but he knew that would happen? ... more ridiculousness)

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
In this stage of tournament with that much in the pot, opponent folding at the flop is great for you. You need to intimidate a 7 or fellow Ace-drawer to not get 2 pair etc.

As I said though, because the turn card was a 10, he'd overplay his hand at that point and be coolered regardless.

You might actually learn something if you learned how to listen. Just a thought...

wilpinsi

wilpinsi

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Usually this is a mistake we made when playing poker, we know we're always going to lose to big stacks, so I advise never to try to hit a big stack because you'll be defeated 90% of all the times you try

Odysseus101

Odysseus101

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I probably would have in that spot at that time. Then again, I suck at poker.

darkassassin89

darkassassin89

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sets are difficult to read. Any set wins on the turn. If he was not holding AA then a river A or 10 would give him the win. In the end the turn is a cooler. Imagine he calls the turn instead of shove... River is a T. Still a cooler.

Just a perfect hand for AA.

D

Dmnd888

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey guys. Newbie. I read earlier in this thread about a blotted pot. Had a search but can't find any reference to it. Anyone?

Steve1821

Steve1821

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just to let you know guys I know it's a cooler and he's going to lose chips but my point was did he at to go all in on turn! When you look at the chip stacks at both these players compared to the rest should he have not just called or a smaller reraise! Who knows if the other guy with the set would have reraised all in on the turn or pushed all in on the river! So my point was "could john have saved chips" and this should of been the title really!

Zorba

Zorba

Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AQ
Chips
Please can you post the details of the hand including positions etc? I do not reside in America or keep up with WSOP via online streams.

What, a player of your calibre doesn't watch the wsop.

You and I will get along well. You do the listening, I do the talking.

As the best poker player on the Earth (your description not mine) you would know best, but as that is not true you would do good by following Poker Orrifice's advise, he actually is a good thinking player, not a braggart.

Mahalo.

:top:

BriceNice

BriceNice

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
why would he EVER play AK like that in that spot? & do you think he would actually call it off? That'd be insanity! Pretty sure he didn't get to this point by making decisions like that (although Hesp being a rookie, may have)

saying someone would never do something in a certain situation is the best way to get yourself felted. Gotta take EVERY possibility into consideration.

MoryMorte

MoryMorte

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
John maybe could have called. I mean he did not even think about what Blumstein can have with that action. He was like yea I have two pair, all in [emoji19]

C

colbear

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
agree

I did not watch the hand but from your explanation I assume he was far from the nuts .So yes I tend to try and stay small ball with other chip leaders unless I know I have them . Aggressive to others but not leaders depending on how they are playing of coarse . Unless of coarse I have the nuts or at least close to it . If I am smaller stack I might be more aggressive but as co leader there is no need to risk your game life on over aggression . A raise is fine but no need for risking too many chips. I know some play for the win so say that if I win this hand I'm in a great position to take it all down but in this type of tournament there is too much to be gained from every jump in payout you make in eliminating others so more conservative against him would be the better coarse of action . If he is a good player which I'm assuming he should be to be this deep then there should be almost a silent agreement to keep it small and work to eliminate others .

AjsmenX

AjsmenX

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I dunno but many times when i have strong reraises or jams on my top two pairs mostly of that situations I was actually run into trips ;)

Alucard

Alucard

Santoryu
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No it wasn't. It's not good to do battle against the other big stack anyway.
Besides there should be some alarm bells ringing after the raise on the turn.
I think he didn't think it through & it was just the heat of the moment.

One thing you should take to consideration is he's an absolute rec player & doesn't think about the villains ranges or other strategies when he was playing. Just going with his gut mostly.
And he enjoyed every bit of his run. I did as well. He did made some of the loosers angry but he lit up the final table and it was very enjoyable to watch.

He said in and interview just making the money was enough for him and everything else was just aa bonus. In the end after getting knocked out he said that he enjoyed every bit of it, and he'd never turn pro and he feels kind of odd making this deep because so many pros put much int their game for this kind of money & he doesn't want to take that away from them.
He came the last day as well & congratulated everybody.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
saying someone would never do something in a certain situation is the best way to get yourself felted. Gotta take EVERY possibility into consideration.

So we should assume that a thinking player is going to purposefully committ ICM-suicide in by far the biggest payday of his entire life?

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
John maybe could have called. I mean he did not even think about what Blumstein can have with that action. He was like yea I have two pair, all in [emoji19]

Exactly.

G

GonzalesFg

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
INCORRECT PLAY

I gotta say John Hesp is a great guy to watch but he made an incorrect move.
BY going ALL IN he only has two choices the guy folds or the guy calls.

Know Your Opponent
I would never risk that amount on wsop main event . John must have put Blumstein on top pair or a bluff. but don't forget THREE OF A KiND
even if Blumstein WAS bluffing. I would still call to get more VALUE

just my 2 cents.

MoryMorte

MoryMorte

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I gotta say John Hesp is a great guy to watch but he made an incorrect move.

BY going ALL IN he only has two choices the guy folds or the guy calls.

Know Your Opponent

I would never risk that amount on wsop main event . John must have put Blumstein on top pair or a BLUFF. but don't forget THREE OF A KiND

even if Blumstein WAS bluffing. I would still call to get more VALUE

just my 2 cents.

He was surprised when he got raised. He went on a rush tilt and shoved. You shouldn't make a move when you are confused.

BriceNice

BriceNice

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So we should assume that a thinking player is going to purposefully committ ICM-suicide in by far the biggest payday of his entire life?

that same thinking player committed 7 million dollar ICM suicide by all in bluffing the next biggest stack at the final table of the wsop main. So yeah you should assume EVERYTHING as a possibility.

mbrenneman0

mbrenneman0

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
isnt that the baluga whale theorem? "if youre raised on the turn you should reevaluate the strength of your hand" if you get 3bet on the turn you should really really reevaluate the strength of your hand i prefer calling the turn 3bet and check calling most rivers maybe a jack comes OTR and some of blumsteins bluffs get there *if* he has any bluffs could make it a check fold.

V

Vino4Dino

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I watched the final table play, good stuff. I think it would be interesting to know what are thought processes would have been if the hole cards weren't televised.

bash991

bash991

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Play Pot control

I think it's important to consider controlling the pots while playing with Big stack because they can knock you out of the tournament.

T

trent32la

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hesp's AT jam was terrible for a multitude of reasons.

For starters, when Blumstein checks back an A57 flop MP vs BB, he never has completely air. On a board texture that Blumstein has a range advantage on, he will be cbetting his air 100% of the time and likely giving up if he gets flatted and doesn't turn equity.

Obviously Hesp isn't thinking deeply about ranges in this spot, however Blumstein's check back range in this spot is going to be something like, weak 1 pair Ax, AA, and JJ-KK. For this reason, Hesp should be leading out on the turn with his hand so it doesn't get checked through.

When Hesp check-raises and Blumstein 3bets on the T turn, Blumstein's range is something like, TT, AA, J9, 98, 86. Blumstein isn't going to be 3betting the flop with one pair in a spot where Hesp is polarized! For this exact reason, Hesp should be calling or possibly even folding the turn when Blumstein 3bets, because Blumstein is polarized and only calls off hands that beat AT and folds all hands that lose to AT, in his range.

Earlier I also concluded that Blumstein cbets the flop in this spot with all of his air. So, J9, 98, and 86 are very likely not in his range after he takes this line, leaving only AA and AT. So as crazy as this sounds, AT is a fold when Blumstein 3bets the turn.