Is it ever a good strategy in online MTTs to sit out for a while?

DaBrowner

DaBrowner

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you need to play monsters in position, and get info on other players at table

S

self_mahatma

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Its advisable to play tight at the beginning of tournament but sitting out for a while is just letting others ahead. Beginning of the tournament is best time to double up when you have premium hands and hit.

N

Niantic

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on the situation and your approach to the game with a large stack. I'd do it myself if I felt I was gonna call nearly everything and have a chance of losing biggest part of my stack by being reckless.
If I felt comfortable in my game I wouldn't sit out though. So I guess it's just a matter of how you feel.

T

thatgreekdude

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
if you're deep stacked definitely, most people tend to get involved in to many hands when they're deep and can suffer unnecessary beats with hands they probably would of folded if they were average stack, so yes i believe it can be a good strategy to use occasionally :p

Micro Maven

Micro Maven

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If I'm huge chip leader of the 1 drop with 7 left and I'm staring at Ivey, Antonius, Seidel, I think I'll take a lil power nap and not lose all my chips. Other than that, only if you're on tilt or nature is calling.

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't think I'd actually sit out....but I'd probably decide to play super tight and start doing something else on my computer. watch a movie or something. if I pick up premium hands I'll play, if I get to see a flop in my BB, great. Probably try to steal blinds a couple times in late position just to keep up..

I have, in a super satellite "effectively" sat out. I had a comfortable stack on the bubble and there were a couple short stacks and as soon as the bubble burst we were all going to make $3,500 off a $400 buy in. So, I looked at my cards with 100% intention to fold every single hand except AA...and if a biggish stack raised before me, I fully intended to fold the AA too... A couple times I got to see a flop in my BB, the weak-tight SB would limp in, then check the flop so sometimes if I completely missed, I'd bet half the pot and he'd fold. sometimes I'd just check it down with him to the river if I had bottom pair or something. Surprisingly, it took about 45 minutes of this strategy to bust one short stack! Guess what he went all in with? AA....and he lost....that's a bummer, man!