In multiple re-entry tournaments what is the best strategy? Early reg or late reg?

C

carvier

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
CR
Chips
If late reg is your option how many minutes before the late reg period is over, is the best strategy to enter?

pep12343

pep12343

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Hello, I think it depends on your ability to be patient, in my case being a less experienced player, playing tournaments with 2:30 hours of late registration was exhausting and I couldn't complete them in their entirety, the prizes felt far away. But nowadays I prefer to play any type of tournament from the start, trying based on my ability to increase my chips and take advantage of that from the start.

C

carvier

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
CR
Chips
Hello, I think it depends on your ability to be patient, in my case being a less experienced player, playing tournaments with 2:30 hours of late registration was exhausting and I couldn't complete them in their entirety, the prizes felt far away. But nowadays I prefer to play any type of tournament from the start, trying based on my ability to increase my chips and take advantage of that from the start.
Thank you very much for sharing your experience. I like to experiment the different theories that are available. And I agree with you that patience is a key factor in poker.

dannystanks

dannystanks

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
US
Chips
I’m a live player and I like to register early and play on time. The late registration never bothers me. Some people like to register just in time. I like to be early while lots of weaker players are still in the game. Maybe I’m one of them lol. Good luck!

LaNimmer

LaNimmer

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
If it is a KO MTT, always go in at the start otherwise you will be losing out in the bounty money. For me the size of the entry chips makes a big difference and the speed of the blinds. A lot of freerolls that have huge numbers I go in as late as I reasonably can and hope to double up quickly.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It makes no difference, if you can reenter or not. So just do, what you would do in a tournament without reenter.

km1n

km1n

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Is better for the beginning u have much more hands to play to get your stack growing sometimes with late reg u have like 10 15 blinds and cant play a hand just move all in or fold

markdias

markdias

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I think the best strategy is to wait until there are 20-30 minutes left before late registration ends or when the blinds are at 20BB-25BB, at least I do it that way and I usually do well with it, wait for a very good hand. strong and go with everything, if you double you will reach the ITM...

kaynbergo

kaynbergo

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
this depends on the buy-in price and late registration time, if late registration lasts 2 hours, I try to log in at the beginning of the tournament, if late registration is 6 hours, then I log in at the last hour of registration,

dallam

dallam

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would suggest to thinking in blinds, not in minutes. So you should find the most appropriate blind-level to your gameplay and time-schedule and jump in. For me the last acceptable BBs are 20-25 in normal game, 40 in ko-s. Otherwise the more is the better, especially if you are a beginner. :)

Igor Popadyk

Igor Popadyk

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It’s up to you how confident you feel with a small stack, and there is a strategy to either double up or crash out of the tournament

yogo9

yogo9

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DZ
Chips
For me if it is a KO tournament i prefer to entre the game from the start and if it is a normal MTT i prefer to entre 30 or 40 minutes before registration closed , and also depend on the buy-in price , for hight buy-in i will play from the beginning.

Emily Trott

Emily Trott

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Whenever possible I like to be there for the opening gun. I seldom have to rebuy or re-enter but when I do it will only be if I get 25bb or more chips. Same rules apply to entering after the game has begun.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Personally I like to enter at the start of the tournament's but that won't stop me from entering late if I needed too. The biggest reason why I like to start right away is i am good playing early and building a stack up. Depending on when you join in late you could be a under 15 to 20BB and while its playable I feel it puts me at an disadvantage to attempt to win the tournament.

Gavincwb

Gavincwb

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
k.o tournaments I register at the beginning.
In other tournaments I use the blind strategy. When it's close to 30bb I enter, I don't enter less than that.

Mr.$t0k

Mr.$t0k

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I think early registration and some all in playing take you on a first place of turnament