Improving your play in hyper turbos

S

stil370

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
originally i was going to title this post with 'hyper-turbos' but its more about the help that i was once got here in reference on how to play better in hyper turbos. So, for those of you who didnt see or werent around at the time I got the advice on here, which was great advice btw... i' d like to pass the advice along. (I swear I wish I could remember who it was that gave me the education).

Nonetheless, here goes:

1. Do you play looser in hyper-turbos?

Answer: No, you dont. You play the same way you would ordinarily play.

And f inally-excuse the xpression, but be hyper aware of the time of the blinds.

That was it, simple.

But the advice immediately hel;p me make $ in those tournaments.

Hopefully this helps somebody else make money or do better
Happy Weekend and Easter too!

Gdefender

Gdefender

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
HU
Chips
I wouldn't say that this is correct... So I usually play 6 max S&G, so 6 people at one table. In the hyper game, the blind amount almost doubles every 1-2 minutes! So hyper is not about waiting for the best hands! This is not I say that you have to push all the garbage with your hands, but you can't wait for good hands in hyper like you can in a normal 10-15-minute blind level on MTT!

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You are 100% correct. We are not supposed to play looser, just because the blinds will soon go up. 15BB poker is still 15BB poker, even if we might soon be playing 7BB poker. The factors, that do sometimes make us play looser, is an higher ante and/or shorter stacks. But its the fact, the total ante is 1,75BB, or that we play with 7BB effective, that makes ranges wider, not that it happen in a hyperturbo game.

There is a similar misconception among cash game players, that we need to play looser in 6-max games compared to 9-max. This is also not true. Yes our VPIP should be higher, but only because we are never in early position or facing early position raises. Our raise first in range from CO or BTN should be exactly the same, weather there are 6 or 9 people on the table.

S

stil370

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
that is some good stuff fellas!

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
playing turbo or hyper turbo you need to play more cards than usual. You play in simple mode or slow mode, the main thing is for a person to understand that in a quick game you need to play faster and more and you will win no longer be afraid to lose and play more aggressively

ninocabral

ninocabral

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In hyper tournaments I usually play differently than in regular tournaments, as the blinds go up faster I play more hands than I would normally play.

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
In the turbo format, the usual poker strategies and positions will not work. But if you are not afraid of extreme sports, then accelerated tournaments can bring you good money in a shorter period of time.Wrong tactics on the bubble will destroy all your hard work. It should be understood that throughout the tournament the strategy must change at different stages. In the beginning, you need to build up and maintain your stack, and then gradually put pressure on your opponents with it.

SpanRmonka

SpanRmonka

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
There is also an argument that you should play Tighter but more aggessive. Don't call with marginal hands, but shove wider.

Also I would say, almost never ever limp, unless you are purposely limp calling a shove.

The reason to be potentially tighter on the calling side of things is that, especially in single table hyper games, you can suddenly be elevated to the money or bubble with a few crazy all in situations from other players.

Marshmalo1994

Marshmalo1994

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
originally i was going to title this post with 'hyper-turbos' but its more about the help that i was once got here in reference on how to play better in hyper turbos. So, for those of you who didnt see or werent around at the time I got the advice on here, which was great advice btw... i' d like to pass the advice along. (I swear I wish I could remember who it was that gave me the education).

Nonetheless, here goes:

1. Do you play looser in hyper-turbos?

Answer: No, you dont. You play the same way you would ordinarily play.

And f inally-excuse the xpression, but be hyper aware of the time of the blinds.

That was it, simple.

But the advice immediately hel;p me make $ in those tournaments.

Hopefully this helps somebody else make money or do better
Happy Weekend and Easter too!
That's why some players think that hyper turbo games are just a lottery, they need to understand this concept.

pancho_1954

pancho_1954

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
I agree with you, in my case I play a turbo, hyperturbo or a normal tournament the same way, I don't do anything different just the moment I register, I don't think I should change anything and maybe it's not the right thing to do because I don't know much about that, but I think it didn't go badly for me

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
No, it is not the same, you cannot say that you just play with the same way. It is a hyper turbo, is a fast game and you play aggressively. You play many hands you wouldn't play in a regular tournament.

kaynbergo

kaynbergo

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
This is not my favorite format for hyper and turbo tournaments, but if I play these tournaments I open more hands than usual, if I expect a good hand in a hyper tournament, I can just sit down to a couple of blinds and fly out with nothing

louuu19

louuu19

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
best way is to play only strong hands very aggressive

LUKADONCICMVP

LUKADONCICMVP

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
improove your flipping skills hyper is all luck.

Bnobob

Bnobob

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I could expect this answer from any other poker pro and it is very clear evidence that if you don't play more aggressively than normal you would be an abnormal person. So just do the best and take your place at the table and just take your rightful place and have fun

mariale_1990

mariale_1990

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
The truth is I don't know if I play the same, I think I try, but in hyperturbo tournaments you have to make decisions faster, you have to play: more aggressive than normal and take more risks more frequently, honestly it is something that in a slow tournament In my case I avoid it or do it less frequently since because it is a slow tournament there are more opportunities

B

bababooey

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
People say poker is more skill than luck but with hypers the luck factor increases as the skill edge decreases.

Pre flop shove charts will help you with this as more play is pre flop rather than on later streets as the blind increases eat your stack so shoving lighter than usual may be the best but also to counteract other strategies and not get exploited you will have to call lighter also.

Have to say it's not my favourite type of format to play but is good fun if you have a small amount of time.

Leandro6803

Leandro6803

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Playing in hyper mode, your range of hands should be the widest of all positions at the table. So try to open more hands and 3-bet a lot more.

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I like some hyper turbos , they finish quickly in contrast to normal speed tourneys . But you need good shove fold strategy . If you lose one chance you might have lost the game . Short stacked at hyper turbos I need to get better .

lilypond

lilypond

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
GB
Chips
Thank you for the tip. I tend to avoid hyper-turbo or even turbo tournaments, as I think more luck is involved. You play fewer hands in turbo tournaments and I find I am more likely to win non-turbo SNGs.