If poker is a skill, why do recreational players win tournaments?

BOXING71

BOXING71

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
What tournaments are you talking about more precisely, at what limits and how often are they won by recreational players. Take my word for it, you have to learn, I’ve already tried 😂

thedarkman

thedarkman

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Because poker isn't a skill, not no limit. Pot limit and limit games yes, but any game in which you can be busted out in one hand is more like bingo.
Some people are just born lucky.

fullclock

fullclock

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think anyone can win a tournament regardless of level. There are a lot of variables in poker, sometimes luck can be on your side and you can get great results. But in the long term, professional players are the best performers.

nasty bent gorilla

nasty bent gorilla

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
The reason for players being successful over the long run is one hundred percent because of skill. Thinking of poker in terms of specific hands, or tournaments, is the wrong model for considering how luck plays a role in poker.

R.Holynskyi

R.Holynskyi

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Of course, luck is one of the most important factors, but in essence, poker is a combination of your luck, with your skill, discipline and patience. In poker, everything from your mood to your position in your chair or on your couch affects your results :)

dimon4ik89

dimon4ik89

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Luck is an important factor in poker, but it is far from the main one. There are a lot of moments and subtleties in poker that you can master and then you won’t pay attention to luck at all. I worked as a dealer in various poker clubs for a long time and played live poker for a long time. I have observed such situations when there is $1000 in the pot, there are 2 players left in the hand, the dealer opens the river and one of the players places a bet equal to the pot, while he didn’t even have one pair in his hands, and with this action he won the pot because the second player made a fold. Please note that the game was 5 card Omaha. I've seen a lot of situations like this in live poker where people have a feel for the game at the poker table and know how to read their opponents. I can’t say anything about online poker, everything happens a little differently here.