ICM and tightening ranges

CaptainMooti

CaptainMooti

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Don't you hate it how tight you must play once you get in the money..?
For me as a slightly loose aggressive player and loving action, I find it really hard to tightening ranges and facing all the jams..
How tight are you during final stages of the tournament? (Before FT)

M

magnus369

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For me as a slightly loose aggressive player and loving action, I find it really hard to tightening ranges and facing all the jams..

I'm focusing as much as possible on not getting involved in unnecessary situations before itm, trying to use my luck when I really need it, because it's hard to survive several flips, combo draws during a tournament and especially MTT's, for me you have to feel comfortable playing and try to avoid very marginal situations right away, playing more solid initially and slowly adjusting range and aggressiveness as you get confidence too.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Its not about being tight but being smart lat when short stacked. You still need to play hand and gamble but again smartly. Last 2 game I was knocked out by the other player. Both had the best hand when the called my all in. So was there play the best move to make? Once called me with pocket 2's after my early position jam. While they did have the best hand was it smart? Yes they are flipping against any 2 over cards they are drawing nearly dealt against any pair I have. In EP I am jamming only Big aces and pairs and maybe KQs. Calling with 2's is not necessarily advisable. The 2nd on I jam and someone 3 bet and this other player called with pocket 4's on the money bubble. HE risked 1/2 his stack with a 3 bet all in with 4's can be considered a bit hard as yes I could have many pairs the 3bet is representing a bigger hand.

dont think of it as being tight but more about being smart later on in the tournament.

F

freedom4L

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You dont need to be that tight right when you have burst the bubble. Really starts to take effect more at the final table or final two tables. But if you are a chipleader you should definitely avoid going all-in very easily against chip #2

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Who says you need to play tight once you are ITM?

This sounds like an over generalization.

To me, playing against the style of the others at the table seems to be optimal.

The ideal table is one where all the players have this generalization (of having to play tight), and min raises/tiny stabs can take down many uncontested pots. In this scenario, playing tight would be a major error.

Paying attention to the payout jumps and not taking 50/50s (waiting a hand or two until you climb the ladder) is proper ICM strategy, but just simply "playing tight" once you are ITM seems like a major mistake. ;)

CaptainMooti

CaptainMooti

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Who says you need to play tight once you are ITM?

This sounds like an over generalization.

To me, playing against the style of the others at the table seems to be optimal.

The ideal table is one where all the players have this generalization (of having to play tight), and min raises/tiny stabs can take down many uncontested pots. In this scenario, playing tight would be a major error.

Paying attention to the payout jumps and not taking 50/50s (waiting a hand or two until you climb the ladder) is proper ICM strategy, but just simply "playing tight" once you are ITM seems like a major mistake. ;)
When I'm ITM it always seems like people smell my bullshit once I raise. I'm trying to find a golden bridge between playing proper hands and calling raises with top pair or make stabs to steal pots..

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When I'm ITM it always seems like people smell my bullshit once I raise. I'm trying to find a golden bridge between playing proper hands and calling raises with top pair or make stabs to steal pots..

Balance is the key. I am constantly trying to settle my pendulum which is swinging between too tight and too aggressive. When I have periods of balance is when my results are the best. ;)