I won a 109$ tourney ticket. What do I do with it?

S

simonrdr

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
So yesterday I shipped one of these Sunday gift drop freerolls on 888 and won a 109$ tourney ticket, which is awesome. I can't transfer it or cash it for T$ or whatever it seems, which is not as awesome, because I'll be essentially playing 1/3 of my bankroll on a single tourney, but it's still house money, so whatever.

I have a couple of questions/I would like some advice. I never played anything higher than the 11$ Sunday Storm so it should be pretty interesting:D

- I can play any 109$ tourney. Am I better off playing their 888's 100K tourney on Sunday then a regular 109$ on a weekday? I'm guessing even in a 109$ tourney there should be a few more casual players playing on a Sunday...

- What should I expect to see from the other players? Will the play be less wild than in my regular micro stakes? :eek:

I think that's a pretty good first post at least! :)

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The play will be aggressive - that's guaranteed. You don't see as much stupid-wild stuff at the $109 buy-in level but you do still see it. Unless you get lucky, you'll be able to play 3 maybe 4 hands. So, get lucky!

Pick whichever one has the longest blinds/biggest starting stack/smallest number of entries/shortest late reg period. There will definitely be more stupid-wild stuff on the weekend.

Last edited:
M

Mahdi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd advice regular, as less people there as more chances for you to find a way to sneak in the money
But that's only my opinion, I don't like playing tournamens with many bad players, bad staff happens there a lot and you need to avoid all this, since you don't have second chance

shinmenkami

shinmenkami

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would say go for it, you wouldnt play bigger tournaments than this if youre casual.

Also players at higher buy ins usually knows how to play, so actually is easyer to cash in a bigger tourney because theres less people and thr range is somewhat predictable.

Freerolls and small stakes tourneys are tough because you can lose by your plays passing over the oponents heads.

You got nothing to lose.

Gl

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Since this is basically going to be a lottery ticket regardless, I would go for the big sunday tournament to give myself the experience to play in, what for 888 Poker is their largest and most prestigeous regular tournament. And of course also the chance, however small, to win a really big 5-digit price :)

vnnby

vnnby

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
In your case, I would choose a weekend bounty tournament because there is a higher guarantee and more people and a higher percentage of turning a ticket into a reward for a knocked out opponent. It will be more difficult for you to go through all the players, but it will also be easier to disable not the most powerful opponents.

Mohamed48

Mohamed48

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
good job
As long as you are determined to win, you will achieve this

deputat777

deputat777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So yesterday I shipped one of these Sunday gift drop freerolls on 888 and won a 109$ tourney ticket, which is awesome. I can't transfer it or cash it for T$ or whatever it seems, which is not as awesome, because I'll be essentially playing 1/3 of my bankroll on a single tourney, but it's still house money, so whatever.

I have a couple of questions/I would like some advice. I never played anything higher than the 11$ Sunday Storm so it should be pretty interesting:D

- I can play any 109$ tourney. Am I better off playing their 888's 100K tourney on Sunday then a regular 109$ on a weekday? I'm guessing even in a 109$ tourney there should be a few more casual players playing on a Sunday...

- What should I expect to see from the other players? Will the play be less wild than in my regular micro stakes? :eek:

Get ready for an aggressive game and play it yourself like a $ 2 tournament.

B

booosteeer23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is unlikely that you will be cashed out or exchanged for money will have to play in the tournament. Good luck and first place!

D

DesertStorm46

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Play in an important tourney, make sure you are fully rested and alert with no possible distractions and show no mercy.

Q

Qrise

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I also once won such a ticket. I can advise you to try to just reach the prize zone, this may help you not to get out of the tournament at the very beginning and really reach the prizes.
Just concentrate on getting to the prize zone.

and then further, as you are lucky

S

simonrdr

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you for you advice all.
I almost picked the PKO tourney but I played the 100K Gtd freezout as planned.
Unfortunately a loosse and somewhat aggro played was seated immediately to my left, so my attempts at stealing the blinds were mostly unsuccessful. I was eliminated after an hour and a half of play.
However my week-end went really well overall as I won more than 60$ on GG, final tableing many flip and goes!

Good day to all!

C

colino17

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Maybe wait a week and see how the player pool and prize structure of each of those turn out for each. Then the next week register for the one that gives you the best opportunity to cash. Given that it's much above your ordinary buy-in, even a min cash will give you a decent boost.

nuttea

nuttea

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

in general, satellites are a very dubious activity, but if you have already managed to win a ticket to the tournament, the limits are much higher that you play, then I advise you to just play as usual and relax, and in case of failure, do not get upset too much. Do the same as do it at your limits, of course, the level of the players will be higher, you need more luck and endurance.

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I love winning these tickets! $$$ Maybe next time play a KO tourny,,,it's nice when you knock someone out and $25 goes right into the account! :D GL next time!

F

freestocks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
That can turn into real cash.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
in general, satellites are a very dubious activity, but if you have already managed to win a ticket to the tournament, the limits are much higher that you play, then I advise you to just play as usual and relax, and in case of failure, do not get upset too much. Do the same as do it at your limits, of course, the level of the players will be higher, you need more luck and endurance.

If your bankroll is only 200-300$, then for sure you have no business playing satellites to 109$ tournaments. At least not if your intention is to treat it as a bankroll and not deposit again. But in this case it seem like, OP won the ticket in a freeroll, and then everything is obviously great.

As you say, he should just relax and enjoy the experience. The only real adjustment, I might make, is to try a little harder to not bubble. If a min-cash will already dubble or tripple your bankroll, it might be acceptable to give up some long term EV, since "the long term" does not really exist here.

S

Stollpe

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The best way to add to your bankroll with the ticket would probably be a Bounty tournement. Since even 1 knockout would be guranteed money. Good luck.

Adi8877

Adi8877

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Congrats! Agree, pretty good first post.

I recommend you play a tourney on Friday or Saturday, as Sunday definitely all the high stakes regulars are in. If you use some tourney stat collector program, that can be useful, even in that level, without any relevant stats about others. The bigger field you play, the wilder play you meet. I played only once a 109$ tourney, years ago - not for my pocket. I found it really wild, I played plenty hands against total craps - total crap for me, offsuit non-connectors, without ace. Even doubled up with a top pair against a 4x pot size river bluff... and generally, I saw more bluffs - sometimes I just watched that level without playing, recommend that, too. But in the beginning phase, first few hours, when the stack way over 50 BB, I saw the really tight play too... I relegated just before the end of the late reg with AA vs. JJ with AxJxJ board....

Choose a big field, and focus for reach the money with that bankroll. Good luck!

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I recommend you play a tourney on Friday or Saturday, as Sunday definitely all the high stakes regulars are in.

I dont have a lot of personal experience with these main sunday tournaments on any site. But it makes sense, that they might attract more casual players but also more of the very best professional players. If you are a high stakes pro and were to pick just one tournament per week to play on 888 Poker, for sure you would pick the 100k sunday event. So its going to be anything from some of the best online pros to recreational players, who won their entry via a satellite.

I dont know, if OP usually has a HUD running. But even playing just one table I would definitely prefer that, since it makes it somewhat easier to figure out, what kind of player you are up against. However if OP normally dont use a HUD, this should not be his first time trying it, since it will then just be a distraction and might even lead to mistakes.

K

karl coakley

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would play which ever tournament has the biggest field. More players means more bad players and a tournament that pays more places.

I would also register late. I would want to start with 30-50 blinds closer to the money. You can take away a lot of the skill advantages others will have over you by playing fewer hands and bigger pots.

Z

zerosalex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Play it and have fun. Be patient and play like you have nothing to lose. Play the time you feel most like playing and with energy. And focus on poker the day before and up to the tournament.

LemonAmnezia

LemonAmnezia

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It will be more patient and you can expect to see way less mistakes concerning spotchoosing and betsizing.