Did I make the right move?

micalupagoo

micalupagoo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
great playing matt, tough game with cheap buyin and big field of ppl playin...be proud
now being near the bubble with sm stack, i probally would have folded ak just to make the money ( ive been bubble boy way too many times) tho ive also been learning (from the great and wise players here) that its sometimes better to go for it and lose (trying to get the big stack to make a healthy payout) rather than just cash out the minimum...and near the bubble is a great time to get extra aggressive since so many ppl tighten up then.
i like what philthy said 'play to win not to min'

and on the side...is it ok to fold AA if your near the bubble and there is 4-5 ppl with bigger stacks (got you allin) all in the pot?
i just hate being bubbleboy lol and aces get cracked often enough
keep up the good playin

M

matt0216

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
great playing matt, tough game with cheap buyin and big field of ppl playin...be proud
now being near the bubble with sm stack, i probally would have folded ak just to make the money ( ive been bubble boy way too many times) tho ive also been learning (from the great and wise players here) that its sometimes better to go for it and lose (trying to get the big stack to make a healthy payout) rather than just cash out the minimum...and near the bubble is a great time to get extra aggressive since so many ppl tighten up then.

and on the side...is it ok to fold AA if your near the bubble and there is 4-5 ppl with bigger stacks (got you allin) all in the pot?
keep up the good playin

Yea this time on the bubble even though I was pretty safe I folded some good hands because I didn't want to get caught up in a hand that would knock me out. I don't like playing tight on the bubble since the blinds will kill you, but for me it's the best thing to do since I don't really have a BR. For me, any cash is a step in the right direction.

micalupagoo

micalupagoo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
amen to that, its all about the cash,a small win still better than a big loss to a bad beat, and once the bubble pops- they go out like mad- great place to tighten and get up a few pay brackets.
now I hope you know bankroll management:)

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

keep up the good playin
Thanks.

As for your question, unless it's a satellite, I hate folding Aces here. This is a hand you want to see, especially when you're a short stack. You have an opportunity to increase your stack by 5x and be in great position to finish well.

If you fold here, most of the time you're only making your money back and some change for a min-cash. If you're following BRM, then taking a chance and possibly losing a buy-in so close to the money should not affect you at all. But if you call and win, you increase your stack by 5x and put yourself in a position to finish better. Lets say a call here guarantees you a much deeper finish for a $10 cash. (For the sake of the example)

AA vs 5 all ins

A-you fold, min cash for tiny profit. Give up opportunity for bigger finish.
B-you call, lose, you're down $1
C-you call, you win, guarantee yourself an extra $9 in profit

So, the reward is much worth the risk here. I don't mind losing a buy-in here for a chance at much better finish. Could you honestly be happy if you folded here and made an extra .50 profit?

Y

yotalover

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have a hard time remembering myself, but AK is still a drawing hand, and it's not best poker going all-in on a draw. I would have folded going for ITM myself.

Gl in the future.

Yota

Z

zebadie

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In the situation that you were in, i would have had to fold to the raise, ensuring myself the cash, however, i feel that i would have pushed all in pf, that way you would have put a hell of a lot more pressure on your opponents making them believe you had a monster, they were near the bubble too (some had more chips but still not cashed yet), maybe then he would have mucked his 77 instead of pushing himself.

J

jackdonkey1717

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That close to the bubble, I woulda waited until I made the cut for sure.