Did I made the right play? (Folded a set) (Early MTT)

rastapapolos

rastapapolos

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DZ
Chips
when player1 shoved in he didn't want others to call, player3 made an unusual play cause if he had the flush he would just call, personally i would put him on a set of fives cause he limped UTG and called a raise preflop, i want to mention that the small suited connectors is also logical here and he was afraid that someone could have a big heart in his hand. anyway your set is good and if you were behind you still got outs and if you didn't hit and loses this spot you have more than 50BB wich mean you're in the green zone. so calling was the best option in my opinion

M

murrdog

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the shoves felt like draws to me.....ensuring they get to see turn/river ....they also had fold equity......calllllll!!!

S

stefffan1

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
In opinion you should have folded preflop or call. I don't think anybody is gonna shove all in with a flush draw. In your , place I would have called. You have to take some risks in poker.

naruto_miu

naruto_miu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
OP. next time you post a hand edit out the results and you will get better responses, it is too easy to say snap call or I would have called, knowing the results.

Personally as there were 2 shoves I would have folded on the HHH board, way too many ppl play hands because they were soooooooooted, but I'm a nit.

Who you trying to fool Z, you don't fold nothing at all (I know this first hand since I've played you enough times:p )..

Yet to the OP as Zorba stated, don't post the results next time around, and also for future, if you play on playing mid pairs and flopping sets, don't fold them unless your honestly up against a passive players and there's like 3 or more in the hand that all shoved prior to the hand getting to become your turn

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
OP. next time you post a hand edit out the results and you will get better responses, it is too easy to say snap call or I would have called, knowing the results.

Personally as there were 2 shoves I would have folded on the HHH board, way too many ppl play hands because they were soooooooooted, but I'm a nit.

As Z said, do not post results of hand as you will tend to get better responses.
The point is to discuss a decision based on the information available at the time, results are irrelevant.
There are absolutely no absolutes in poker, but if you are not prepared to lose big with a set, there is not much point in set mining.

M

matiusaa

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can't even believe any of you think this is a good fold.

Withnor without results, I am never ever ever folding in this spot.

The ones who think there's a general rule in poker are wrong, and certainly tend not to do good. In this situation with a lot of villians in the flop, and the way they acted it was clearle that the set was beaten. So why the hell would you call an all in if you know you are way behind, and your only chance is the board to pair????
If he was left with almost no chips he HAD to call because he would have no other choice, becasue he would have been left with an unplayable stack, but this was not the case. If you want to do good at poker, you have to make moves that are rentable in the long term

duggs

duggs

Killing me softly
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
snap call. they cant have better sets, if they both have flushes we have huge redraws, most likely they dont.

U

UnluckyDude

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I probably would have called. Depends on the situation and the other players involved, though. Had they been calling or raising with weak hands?

It is early in a low limit MTT.
You cannot be knocked out.
If you win the hand, you have a super stack.
odds of them BOTH having flopped a flush is very unlikely.
If one flopped the flush, you still have outs.
If they both have a heart, you are still a 70% favorite.
If you beat the guy with 4500 chips and lose to the other guy, you are still close to even (if my math is right).
And most importantly, "180665 showed [Js Th]." If I saw him turn over other hands like this, I would definitely have called. It would be worth the gamble, and if you lost, you might be able to get it back from him in some other hands.

stevenright

stevenright

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So early in the tournament you don't need to worry about getting in tough spots... i think that was a standard play, would be atrocious with few bbs later in the tourney.

But as it were, you did allright

NvrBlufn

NvrBlufn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Call please! You can always play all-in poker with $3000 left behind... the blinds are low enough to let you catch some really nice starting hands for that strategy, that's only if you lose of course.

I agree with those that said don't call with a Medium pair if you will fold the set, unless you think you are against a higher set which only happens 1 out of 4000 times.

1) Since you will not be eliminated and will have a chance to bounce back if lost, CALL

2) IF they flopped the flush, you will not be completely dead --CALL. (7 cards will give you the best hand on the turn, 10 cards going to the river) Btw, who would play their flush this way right?

3) He would have had to call with a suited one gapper, out of position and filled it perfectly against that board to have enough outs to put you at a disadvantage to win the hand.
Assuming the player is on a flush or straight draw with a max of 9 outs, not 15. You need to CALL.

4) If you win then you get to knock out two players and become a major contender.

Be a donkey like your avatar suggests and call! This is too tight for level 5 of a low-buy-in, Massive Multi Table Donkament

MadMaddie

MadMaddie

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It looks like the second player has a low flush or maybe a pair and the nutflush draw. In some of the $1 tournaments I see all kinds of crazy stuff and I think I call if I had seen this player doing weird stuff but if they were tight or playing kinda normal then I might fold. but I would kick myself after thinking the 2nd player was nuts.

B

bloodvodka

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I would have had to shove. Hit a set. Bet a set.

Propane Goat

Propane Goat

Grinder and paint make me the welder I ain't
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
With a flopped set and both other opponents covered by a substantial margin? Snap call. I think I would call here even if I was covered, in MTT's you have to take risks. I despise getting into the situation of being down to less than 10BB and praying for something to shove because I passed up loads of good opportunities previously by playing way too tight.

I've made the mistake numerous times of giving opponents too much credit in low stakes games. I can remember off the top of my head several times recently when I've called all-in's after agonizing over the decision, only to be shocked at what they turned over. Stuff like bottom/middle pair, useless draws that I already had beat if they made it, Ace high, etc.

S

smidjet

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i dont believe in snap calling sooooo lets say semi snap

A

ak725

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you played wrong. by the preflop beting and after the flop showdown you had to realise that you have the best hand. if you dont have courage then dont play anymore. being a chicken will never help you to win.

Aces2w1n

Aces2w1n

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ALL DAY EVERY DAY GET IT ALL IN ON THE FLOP... THE MORE PPL IN THE POT PUTTING CHIPS IN GIVES YOU MORE REASON TO CALL NOT TO FOLD!!!!!!!!!

Ever read never play poker with monsters in the closet?.... Well this is exactly a spot where you need to not worry and just play it :)

A lot of times ppl might be shoving here with 2p or bottom set even.. Theres a lot out there that ppl may be raising with even the nut flush draw.

S

smidjet

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It looks like the second player has a low flush or maybe a pair and the nutflush draw. In some of the $1 tournaments I see all kinds of crazy stuff and I think I call if I had seen this player doing weird stuff but if they were tight or playing kinda normal then I might fold. but I would kick myself after thinking the 2nd player was nuts.
to me the call of the allin bet makes the pot a call for sure because of the pot size and the fact that i might have the best hand and because if i dont i still have redraws

Zorba

Zorba

Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AQ
Chips
Who you trying to fool Z, you don't fold nothing at all (I know this first hand since I've played you enough times:p )..
On scary boards and with a small set I will, It is the second shove that would have scared me off, I would have called the first shove. Other thing is I just about exclusively play CC League and as you know most of the time in league if someone shoves over the top he isn't bluffing.

CC freerolls I play a lot looser than I do in league, it is 5am when they start and if I get off to a good start then I tighten up, If I fail early I get to go back to bed. :D

Last edited:
A

AviCKter

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Here's my take on it:

first, everybody limps so lets rule out Jacks from the deal, I don't think anyone would be limping with it. Second, when the flop comes 5h Jh 7h, the first guy shoves, clearly we can rule out a flush, he can have two pairs or set 5 at best. The second guy reshoves, if he had flush, what is he try to drive away. A small flush is a possibility but if he re-shoves then clearly he's a very weak player and that would give you a good read on that player. So, they don't have flush clearly.

And to top off, the positive EV you were getting was a clear call. With a stack like that, it wasn't a big blow to my stack. So, bad fold.

It was a definite call.

vinylspiros

vinylspiros

PIRANHA-------->< (((º>
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
LOOK, i can understand the fold here. but alot of the times one of them will be donking off with an overpair or TPTK and the other will have only one of the nut draw cards ACE or even king in some situations. As mentioned above, you cant fold this. You have them out-stacked and you have outs to the nuts.

4evertilted

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Snap call with your stack early in the tourney...

Thinker_145

Thinker_145

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Its also worth adding that if the second player had already made a flush he would NOT go all in as he would want you to play the hand as well and not scare you away. What I dislike most about your play here is how quickly you folded.

sam1chips

sam1chips

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Even if somebody flopped a flush, you're still at 25% to outdraw them for a full house.

Edit: it is more than that. It is 25% on the turn if villain has flush and you have a set. On the flop it has to be a much higher percent.

Thinker_145

Thinker_145

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Even if somebody flopped a flush, you're still at 25% to outdraw them for a full house.

Edit: it is more than that. It is 25% on the turn if villain has flush and you have a set. On the flop it has to be a much higher percent.
The odds of making a full house/quads after flopping a set are about 35% counting both turn and river.

However since this is a 3 way pot it must be noted that if someone has 2 pair with a J then not only are there less odds to make a full house but also some of those cards would give him the worse full house.

W

WhiteFang13

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
The ones who think there's a general rule in poker are wrong, and certainly tend not to do good. In this situation with a lot of villians in the flop, and the way they acted it was clearle that the set was beaten. So why the hell would you call an all in if you know you are way behind, and your only chance is the board to pair????
If he was left with almost no chips he HAD to call because he would have no other choice, becasue he would have been left with an unplayable stack, but this was not the case. If you want to do good at poker, you have to make moves that are rentable in the long term

Are you really so paranoid to think that his set was beat?

Folding in Poker