I have come to realise AK is not a monster tournament hand.

micalupagoo

micalupagoo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think the point Poker Orifice was making is that you can't assume that you're always up against a non-AA/KK pocket pair. AK vs AA is most certainly not a flip, you're only 11.5% to win, and AK is ~70% to win over other Aces but we all know how often the villain seems to pair the kicker somewhere along the line in these situations.

^^exactly, you have many Ax and some Kx hands as well as…(if my 68 is sooted…)

MediaBLITZ

MediaBLITZ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
uhhhh yes AK vs 44 its coin toss
go poker odds calculator
Right, but there are only 11 hands you are going to be in that coin flip with and the range of your opponents hands is greater than that.

C

Chemist

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can't believe how's my threads there are about AK. It's ridiculous

I can believe it.
No body ever reads old threads.
Anna Kornikova is a popular subject.

Every time the same things are said but there is no single simple answer.
AK is not the best hand until it becomes a royal flush on the river.
Playing with it at any other time than the nuts on the river is situational dependent like any other hand. Hence there are lots of discussions about the various situations although posts are often made in a general fashion and don't actually specify the specific situations.

Rest assured there will be more threads on it in the future, unless they are merged in to an AK megathread.

In amongst the masses of threads and posts there are probably one or two useful ones but they are lost in the dross.
However the purpose of the forum is to facilitate discussions and the subject is clearly one that still generates interest and has not been fully resolved yet.

I have come to realise that I need to unsubscribe from some threads.

J

Jay65

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AK was my biggest chip leak until I stopped falling in love with it.

A

AsylumBoy

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Early FreeRoll + Lot Of Limpers + Late Position = Shove

With real money on the Line, If you can buy a cheap flop from Late Position, go ahead. Otherwise I fold'em. It is too easy to miss a flop and end up dominated by 8 3o.

T

Tiltt2424

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I disagree but position is really key. In late position with not much action ahead AK is an amazing hand not only because of its equity but because it is an extremely good blocking hand, especially if its suited. When getting it all in pf, you're usually never in that rough of shape unless you run into AA.

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AK is the most underrated hand in hold'em.

J

jj20002

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AK could be our worst nightmare or our sweetest dream, however is very difficult to play it, sometimes one doesn`t know to handle it depending the position, the table, the stack and the moment,

well played could be a chip eater, regretfully time to time it plays against our stack too and that`s why we hate it so much, we invest so many chips to play, raise 3x, then 4 betting, then cbetting, and finally we enter the river in the air without even a pair and the tough call: raise or fold, no matter what, a lot of chips are gone

finally if i have to choose the most poker-representative hand dealt is the so-called Anna Kournikova, what a hand, it looks so cute therefore we know we have to play her although we know that our stack (so many time to build it) is in danger, is a hand that carry us to the edge, that will suck from us our best poker

chipstacker

chipstacker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Found that out too

I kinda found that out the hard way. Especially when your betting your entire stack and someone calls with 9 7 offsuit and catches a nine. People call with the worst hands because they know all they need is one card to hit and for you to not get and ace or king. It's pretty tough, I guess the best way to do it is to wait for flop and if you get your ace or king hope that they don't make a two pair to beat you on the river.

duggs

duggs

Killing me softly
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker confirmed not dead

sunburnt2k11

sunburnt2k11

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
lol i too contest that A-K the dreaded Anna Kornakovas are really nice to look at but they are far from the pocket pair that could kill you when the set is made lol

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands