how would u play this?

J

jimmyd1953

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
mtt 5.50 buyin 750 GTD at hero,alreadt ITM,im in 8th with 12 left,i have 50k,im utg and call(2500 bb) with ak off,all fold and bb goes allin 90k,havent seen him go allin yet,only short stacks been doing that,payout is 100-200 for 1st n 2nd. b4 u see the results what would u do call or fold? i call ,he has kk and i miss the ace or draw.
doin a lt better in in mtts buyins,made 777$ in feb my best month in 3 yrs of online poker.its slowly getting better.looking for some good replys on call or fold

B

BlueNowhere

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I wouldn't limp pre and I snap call shove and it really isn't close.

A

Aslama01

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hmm, def raise preflop. I don't like to just flat pre. I raise or call a previous raise, otherwise fold. He probably would have reraised/shoved anyway, but with 25bb, I can't see you folding here.

Karkus77

Karkus77

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
raise pre, as played, fist pump shove kick slap call, or whatever the cool kids are saying nowadays

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Why are we limping? (unless it's to induce shortstack(s) to shove.. but aren't they shoving over a raise anyways?).
20bb's I'd snapcall the shove too (ainec).

duggs

duggs

Killing me softly
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
limping is so suss, as stated above, raise/get it in. if he flipped over AQ you wouldnt have thought twice bout this hand

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Still unanimous. What interests me is why you decided to limp, and also why you're questioning whether you should have called.

And the fact that you brought up how much first and second paid suggests that you may think this should matter in terms of how you approach the hand. If so, why and how?

G

gsxr5221

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Still unanimous. What interests me is why you decided to limp, and also why you're questioning whether you should have called.

And the fact that you brought up how much first and second paid suggests that you may think this should matter in terms of how you approach the hand. If so, why and how?
I agree ^..What are your intentions or what do you plan on doing for the hand limping UTG with AKo?? especially around the bubble for FT...Sounds like you didn't have a plan for the hand before you limped UTG, since once the guy shoved you didnt know if you should call or fold there.

raise pre, as played, fist pump shove kick slap call, or whatever the cool kids are saying nowadays

^^Best response

B

Big_Rudy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The only possible reason I can see for limping, and even that isn't a good one, is to induce someone to raise/shove over your limp. In that case, you got exactly what you wanted. Shove v. a raise/ snap call a shove.

J

jimmyd1953

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why are we limping? (unless it's to induce shortstack(s) to shove.. but aren't they shoving over a raise anyways?).
20bb's I'd snapcall the shove too (ainec).
yes trying to get a short stack

J

jimmyd1953

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
my plan was to catch a short stack,the bbs r 2500 so i have plenty of chips.i must be playing wrong because when im utg i limp on all hands even aa,aa limps ,hope for a raise and reraise if only hu or shove if 3 in,if aa on final table im shoving any position,2 many times ive raised with 1010,jj or ak in utg only to get burned,limping in with pairs or aq ak has paid off big lately cause ive hit sets and gotten several allins.if im near the button or button im raising on a lot of hands,also in sb bb i never raise on ak,aq or small pair,i only raise on qq or better,i dont like weak position unless hand is strong,also ive learned that unless u have position its hard to win a big pot with a winning hand ,i like to call with a good hand(set,2 pair top pair a kicker) ,im playing in 5 buyins and the play is still quite reckless.

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How much more likely is it that a short stack will shove over your limp but fold if you bet a normal amount? The ranges aren't the same, but I doubt there's a huge difference.

Also, when you limp, what else can happen?

One reasonably likely scenario is that you get more limpers, putting yourself OOP in a multi-way pot. And who can best afford to limp? The players with the larger stacks; i.e. the ones who can hurt you the most / bust you.

Another possibility is that a larger stack decides to iso or bully the limper(s). You can call and see a flop OOP with only six cards that will hit your hand. Not ideal. You can re-pop it since you've under-repped your hand, but if you get called, you still only have six cards that hit your hand, and you'll have committed substantially more of your stack.

Also not exactly rare is a small stack shoves and someone with a decent stack either calls or shoves knowing that the initial shove can be fairly wide. AK is substantially better vs 1 opponent than 2. So now what do you do?

Yes, your desired scenario does happen sometimes. But hoping it will doesn't seem like a great basis for choosing a line that can lead to various other situations, none of which are ideal, although that doesn't mean they're all awful either.

M

momfight

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would have raised 2.5x then folded when he went all in. I dont see what you are beating at this point with AKo to warrant calling your entire stack .

B

BlueNowhere

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would have raised 2.5x then folded when he went all in. I dont see what you are beating at this point with AKo to warrant calling your entire stack .

Comments like this make my head hurt.

calicard

calicard

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It because you don't understand tournament poker. :)
You are going to have a hard time convincing any one you are right. They do not care about results here. They do not care that you are 1 away from the money. They do not care if you have enough chips to blind out in second place. They take no other factors in consideration here but plus minus equity value. They do not care if you are the big stack if the numbers say you have 20 BB's. They do not care that 8 other players will automatically be forced all in next hand Guaranteeing you third place at worst if you fold. They do not care.........................

D

doomasiggy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
mtt 5.50 buyin 750 GTD at hero,alreadt ITM,im in 8th with 12 left,i have 50k,im utg and call(2500 bb) with ak off,

First mistake. Never limp pre, especially with AK and very especially from UTG. AKo is a strong hand, raise pre. I'm guessing you meant 250bb, 2500 would mean blinds were 10/20 at the final 12. Raise pre to about 2.5bb

all fold and bb goes allin 90k,havent seen him go allin yet,only short stacks been doing that,payout is 100-200 for 1st n 2nd. b4 u see the results what would u do call or fold?

snap call, though I wouldn't be surprised to be beat here.

You are going to have a hard time convincing any one you are right. They do not care about results here. They do not care that you are 1 away from the money. They do not care if you have enough chips to blind out in second place. They take no other factors in consideration here but plus minus equity value. They do not care if you are the big stack if the numbers say you have 20 BB's. They do not care that 8 other players will automatically be forced all in next hand Guaranteeing you third place at worst if you fold. They do not care.........................

There's a reason for that, namely that variance in an MTT is an absolute bitch. You can shove pre with pocket AA and get killed by pocket 44's that hit a set on the turn. The more chips you accumulate the safer you are because your stack can accept wider swings in variance. Not to mention that with a large enough stack you can pretty much play TAG poker and TAG your way to the final table.

I agree ^..What are your intentions or what do you plan on doing for the hand limping UTG with AKo?? especially around the bubble for FT...Sounds like you didn't have a plan for the hand before you limped UTG, since once the guy shoved you didnt know if you should call or fold there.

He said ITT that he wanted one of the shorter stacks to limp.

M

momfight

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There's a reason for that, namely that variance in an MTT is an absolute bitch.

all the more reason to respect a big stacks all-in raise; could be a while before he's this deep again.

Reptar7

Reptar7

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd raise and then I'd fold to the big shove, call any little guys.

JusSumguy

JusSumguy

Chipmonger
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Wouldn't have said it quite that way, but........

Sometimes you nail it Cali

:icon_salu

Reptar7

Reptar7

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For the 3rd time, that would be horrid.

You mean folding to the shove? Have you given any reasons as to why folding to the big stacked super TAG is the wrong move? Turns out it was the right move if he has KK. If he really is a super TAG, I don't see him not having pockets, it might be JJ or QQ, but he is still ahead. OP is sitting decent it sounds like, in that spot I think your tourney life is worth protecting, especially if there are only 12 people and he considers some of them to be short stacks. Let some more short stacks go out instead of risking your whole stack knowing you are behind. I don't really have enough info to be sure tho, would need to know blinds and more about the TAG guy.

OP, congrats on making $777 last month. Did you do it all from MTT's?

Last edited: