How To Run Deep In Tourney

Stevan

Stevan

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's hard to make it to final table, but when i did made it i realised that i need to make 1 mistake pre-flop and get lucky. Something like K&Q mine vs A&K or something. You can't win it by perfect play that's for sure. You need that one lucky final decision hand. Just my opinion. Of course, i play tight and try to play small ball if possible.

MediaBLITZ

MediaBLITZ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Constantly reevaluate - reevaluate - reevaluate.

As the tournament moves along and you continue to move tables you must reassess your situation constantly. It is not entirely proper to pre-decide how you are going to play the beginning or the end without knowing the circumstances of the table you are at - stack sizes, aggression levels, number of players, etc. Do not think of it as a marathon running race, but rather a La Mans car race. The difference being the runner can have a predetermined strategy going in to the race about where he wants to be and how hard he wants to run at different points and that will work pretty well for him as conditions will not change a whole lot the whole way. The race car driver does this too, BUT he must react to the conditions of the road moment by moment (sharp curves, pot holes, gravel, etc.) and pretty much use all the gears he has to negotiate the track that is constantly giving him new things to deal with. Be aware of your environment and table conditions and when an event happens - someone gets knocked out, someone new comes to your table, you get moved to a different table - reevaluate your conditions and respond by shifting gears to an appropriate strategy.

J

jerohit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What's Your Strategy On Making Final Table? I Seem To Play Lose At The Start And Tighten Up As The Game Proceeds. I Feel Like It Should Be The Opposite But I'm Always Short On BB When The Bubble Comes Along.

Follow pokers rule while paying
1 leave emotion before starting poker
2 Do not panic
3 play tight in early then loosen up if got handsome chip stake
4 when in.chip lead try too play aggresive with and steal blinds when blinds are high
5 count your situation on your chip stakes
If 12+ then it is good situation play your real game without panic. if 12- then play little loose and raise your chip.stake.
once you caught the game then its all yours.

sSAINTSs

sSAINTSs

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I Believe the most important is to have paitance. You are going for a tournament, it may take a while to get to the end.You need 2 fold allot.

norriscjn

norriscjn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I find myself doing the same thing as you. Then tighten up and then play bingo when i feel the time is right. Just depends on what kind of tournament it is.
If its a big game like poker stars 750k gtd i played tight the whole time and would never make it to the big bucks.
Now i cant play there. BOOHOO

nitulbhatia

nitulbhatia

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I guess what others have already said, play tight in the beginning, a little looser once the blinds get higher. Im not sure i have a definite strategy, i take each game as it comes. Finished 10th in a 100 pound freeroll last night. I believe its the best i could have done, maybe could have done a little better but i brought my A game to the table and got paid $2 for my efforts.

BogdanStark

BogdanStark

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1- Never get under ten bbs. if you do the BB-SB will call you even with crappy hands and eventually they will win.
2- Try to stay always above the avg. if you can't see number 1.
3- Try to read your opponents not only when you are up to play but also when they play each other. Analyzing and observing is POKER.

ps. After all its a game of luck if you don't have your luck don't push it. Try another day :). With skill you can come further in tournaments then average players.

It can be true, if you play poker in the book. But in real life, all so different...
Tell me plz, how can you guaranteed never get under 10 bb ? hm...and if you did it what next? It is necessary to understand, that there are a lot of ways grow you chips even with less than 10bb

ahahha and how can you be always average???? very funny ...
As for me I prefer chip leading than average )))))

Dany_Style

Dany_Style

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
in this stage,you must take important decision,the blind is big and every hand is important :) carefully and if your hand is good,agressive for big pot

kingkesh93

kingkesh93

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Almost in all low stakes MTTs, the first few hours of the tourney will be full of fish. Keep tight and patient, pick your spots carefully. As the bubble comes, the size of your stack really determines how aggressive you can play.

Final tables are a rarity for the average player, but good luck at the tables