How to remove yourself from a tournament

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
One of the disadvantages of tournaments compared to cash games is, that once you bought in, you are kind of stuck with them until the end. There is however a way to solve that, and in this thread I am going to share a few examples from an MTT session, I played this morning. We start off with the very first hand of a $11 6-max game. Apparently the opponent regretted buying in but found a way to solve the issue in no time:

This guy took a bit longer, since it was already the second blind level in a $3,3 turbo PKO:

This hand is from the second blind level of a $5,5 hyper PKO, and the opponent did a pretty good job here to, even though he did not manage to quite finish it:

Later in the same game 3 opponents managed to remove themselfes in the same hand. I guess, the first call was reasonable, but not sure what the other two guys were doing?

In the $11 "Saturday Special" PKO two players tried hard to remove themselfes but failed:

However a few hands later one of them managed to complete the job:

Many people say, that online poker is dead especially on pokerstars. But I think, this collection of hands demonstrate, that it is at least still breathing :)

Last edited:
pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
That almost seems like around the year 2005 level bad.

It's a little surprising, but maybe they all were playing at the same party and were severely drunk.

If you don't mind writing it down: what are your ROI in SnGs with a buy-in of about 5-10 dollars?

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's a little surprising, but maybe they all were playing at the same party and were severely drunk.
It was early saturday morning CET, so definitely a good chance, some of them were drunk :)
If you don't mind writing it down: what are your ROI in SnGs with a buy-in of about 5-10 dollars?
Not as high as I would like it to be. Below are my 5 most commonly played games on PokerStars taken from sharkscope. Anyone can look up this information themselfes, if they subscribe, and the player has opted in:

$10 Fifty/50 2655 games +$1.499 5,6% ROI
$5 Fifty/50 2198 games +$135 1,2% ROI
$5 18-man 1278 games +$331 5,2% ROI
$10 18-man 1079 games +$223 2,1% ROI
$5 On Demand 1076 games +$281 5,2% ROI

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
It was early saturday morning CET, so definitely a good chance, some of them were drunk :)

Not as high as I would like it to be. Below are my 5 most commonly played games on PokerStars taken from Sharkscope. Anyone can look up this information themselfes, if they subscribe, and the player has opted in:

$10 Fifty/50 2655 games +$1.499 5,6% ROI
$5 Fifty/50 2198 games +$135 1,2% ROI
$5 18-man 1278 games +$331 5,2% ROI
$10 18-man 1079 games +$223 2,1% ROI
$5 On Demand 1076 games +$281 5,2% ROI

Thank you.

I read in "some other" forum that over 10% ROI was almost impossible a while ago (I think it was around 5-20 dollar buy-ins). Maybe the max ROI is even lower in today's games.

Even if you could almost print money (or at least 50 cents per game at 10 dollars) I guess it's hard to get in the volume as much as you would like.

People used to be able to play up to 50 SnGs simultaneously when PokerStars had the SuperNova bonus program.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I read in "some other" forum that over 10% ROI was almost impossible a while ago (I think it was around 5-20 dollar buy-ins). Maybe the max ROI is even lower in today's games.
The Sharkscope leaderboard actually makes it pretty easy to answer that question, since all the biggest winners in SnGs across sites have single digit ROIs. They are however higher than mine, or they play higher buyins. On ACR 6-man hypers seem to be the thing amount SnG grinders. On PokerStars it seems to be heads-up SnGs. Maybe its possible to have a dubble digit ROI in very soft micro stakes games somewhere, but why would you play $2 games with 10-12% ROI, if you can play $10 games with 5-6% ROI.
Even if you could almost print money (or at least 50 cents per game at 10 dollars) I guess it's hard to get in the volume as much as you would like.
You can still get good volume in $10 games on PokerStars, but not 24 hours a day, and only if you play different formats, which almost all the regs do now.
People used to be able to play up to 50 SnGs simultaneously when PokerStars had the SuperNova bonus program.
In todays games excessive multitabling would likely also mean playing to tight with to much auto piloting. Back then SnGs had no antes or only antes with high blinds. And many regs seem to have been basically folding anything except premiums, until the blinds got high enough to play push-fold. At least this is the idea, I get from watching old training videos by eg. Collin Moshman. Today this would definitely not work, and you have to get involved in at least some postflop spots to even beat the games.

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
Back then SnGs had no antes or only antes with high blinds. And many regs seem to have been basically folding anything except premiums, until the blinds got high enough to play push-fold. At least this is the idea, I get from watching old training videos by eg. Collin Moshman. Today this would definitely not work, and you have to get involved in at least some postflop spots to even beat the games.
Many of the extreme multi-tablers had a small negative ROI or were break even before getting back a lot of money (100k) when they reached SuperNova Elite so it was often pretty robotic.

Here is a (hopefully) tongue-in-cheek video:

kon44

kon44

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Many of the extreme multi-tablers had a small negative ROI or were break even before getting back a lot of money (100k) when they reached SuperNova Elite so it was often pretty robotic.

Here is a (hopefully) tongue-in-cheek video:

Knew a house full of players that did exactly the multitabling in the video. The Supernova return was the payday

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Its good to find games with players who have high implosion factors.

I think for them its like riding on the back of a motorcycle, they rather jump off than be scared any longer.