How to prepare for long tournaments?

N

Naruba

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello friends, This is my first publication. Last Friday I played a tournament in which I went very well I finished 4th but the same one lasted 11 hours. from 7 p.m. to 6 p.m., I destroy it. How do you think we should prepare to face such long tournaments?

Ivansito26

Ivansito26

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I congratulate you for your tournament and if some tournaments last up to 12 hours or more depending on the modality, but to prepare in a tournament this long it is best to have a lot of patience and wait for the moment to act, at the beginning of the tournament many want to upload chips and sometimes they make mistakes, but really my patience advice and play depending on the position you are and ranges of hands

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.54)]
[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.54)][/COLOR]

[/COLOR]

xOneCoolHandx

xOneCoolHandx

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello friends, This is my first publication. Last Friday I played a tournament in which I went very well I finished 4th but the same one lasted 11 hours. from 7 p.m. to 6 p.m., I destroy it. How do you think we should prepare to face such long tournaments?

The first step is to realize that these tournaments will last this long. You would be amazed at how some people expect these tournaments to only be a few hours. Once you have mentally prepared yourself for this undertaking, make a list of how you should be prepared. For me it goes:

1. Make sure I get plenty of sleep the night before. If it is an evening tournament then take a nap before the tournament begins.

2. Make sure to have snacks and drinks prepared in advance.

3. Let everyone in the house know that you are going to be unavailable.

4. Have a quiet, secluded spot where there will be few distractions.

5. Make sure you get up and get away from the computer during breaks.

Live:

1. Again, get enough sleep the night before.

2. Arrive at least an hour early to get registered, find your seat, locate the nearest bathroom, ect.

3. Pack a backpack full of snacks and drinks.

Your list may be different than mine (and this is just a starting point for me), but it gives you an idea of what to think about.

Congrats on the 4th!!!

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The first step is to realize that these tournaments will last this long. You would be amazed at how some people expect these tournaments to only be a few hours. Once you have mentally prepared yourself for this undertaking, make a list of how you should be prepared. For me it goes:

1. Make sure I get plenty of sleep the night before. If it is an evening tournament then take a nap before the tournament begins.

Live:

2. Arrive at least an hour early to get registered, find your seat, locate the nearest bathroom, ect.

Your list may be different than mine (and this is just a starting point for me), but it gives you an idea of what to think about.

Congrats on the 4th!!!

Thank U 4 Posting

These are great tips thank you for sharing them.

Long hours of play mean losing focus. We want to be able to recognize when our game has slipped from our A game to our B game or C game. So the first thing is to recognize what the differences in our game are. Then we have to have a schedule for checking in on our game say every hour while playing. Then we have to be able to effectively refocus. This requires practice.

Only the elite players can remain focused and in their A game for long periods. So we must expect that we will drift into our B and C games and so we must have the skills and plan to recognize this and refocus.

Hope this helps

:):)

greatgame230

greatgame230

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think they have given you all the advice that exists I would only add one that I have not read and the previous posts try to clear your mind to the maximum in the breaks and if you feel very tired take your own breaks where you lose the Ante and some blind It is better to lose some hands than to lose the tournament for being exhausted.

Congratulations, for the 4th place in that tournament

nuttea

nuttea

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Personally, I look through my database before the game. I choose the biggest losses, scroll them through my head again, so as not to repeat them at least in the near future, i.e. next game session. I also very clearly adjust the sound background of the computer before the game. Not loud music at an average pace suits me. The main criterion is the correct volume. I should only hear the room's signal about the action and my inner voice.The emotional state in many respects depends on the physical state. You must admit that it is difficult to be in a good mood if something hurts you or you feel constant discomfort. In this case, all thoughts are aimed at taming the pain, and not at the game.No matter how frightening this word may sound, but before the game I often reproduce some situations in my head with the goal of emotional preparation for them. It is very easy to fall into tilt if, for example, you have been waiting for a strong starting combination for a long time, but either everyone folds, or such a flop occurs that most likely you are already behind. Often the biggest losses occur when we do not know what to do. Those. we are not emotionally prepared. It is in order to avoid such errors that I recommend using visualization.

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips

Live:

Congrats on the 4th!!!

Wow!!!

You put in more preparation, and take things more seriously than most high stakes professionals.

I hope you earn A LOT from poker, since you invest so much time and effort.

Ranish625

Ranish625

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I prefer not to participate in such tournaments, as I tried to play before, I usually have enough for 7-8 hours, then my brain just stops thinking and thinking adequately, I begin to take rash moves

R

Richardszabo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How do I prepare for long tournaments? Lots of sleep! :D 11 Hour Tournament Extremely Long, Nice Result! Yes, these Tournaments are very exhausting, it's impossible to play well through all this time. I think that's the hardest part.

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
1. Lots of rest the night before

2. Big breakfast on the day of, snacks and teas to get thru the day

3. Headphones available to tune out distraction, save energy major this way

4. Exercise before and make sure to move around on breaks

5. Strong intention on the final table, keeps the focus levels high

6. Binaural focus beats, these are the absolute nuts (search on youtube)

7. Coffee if needed, use it as a last resort

8. Remember that everyone else is in the same boat, don't need to be superman, just need to be sharper than the competition

And just in case i missed anything, here's my video on it

B

brazilpescador

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like tournaments but at pokerstars there is not a good payout for 5th place down so playing for hours and getting eliminated before you get in the top 3 is not a very good experience

kley126

kley126

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
I recommend that you try to sleep well for at least 8 hours that you exercise a lot that will strengthen you mentally and some meditation would be perfect while you play you should have something light to eat that will keep you active

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I try to get a good nights sleep in the night before. I like to eat a good meal prior to the events starting so dont have to worry about being hungry to soon. I will will also have a small cooler nearby with some drinks in it and a snack just in case.

lovemetender

lovemetender

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I can't play a tournament without a good night sleep.I hate to play poker listening to high sound music too;and I need coffee to refresh my mind.These are my three things I have to do before long tournaments.

ASMautoneJr

ASMautoneJr

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm still trying to get two hours !!!!! good preparations and success to all !!
but stretching, exercise and good nutrition and good sleep help a lot!

MAGICUZ

MAGICUZ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm not getting ready,if luck is on my side and I go very far, then I forget about food, sleep and everything except cigarettes)))so for me it's not a problem;)

elJenio8

elJenio8

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I love long tournaments, if its a big one, the day before i cant sleep..

But i focus on my knowledge, not big plans really for preparation, just play poker

maxivega

maxivega

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First, you should know if you are fit to play such as long tournament. For my part I do not like playing more than 6 hours online. It is too long in front of my computer.
Second, you have to be clear whether it is worth so much effort, I'm talking about money. If you're going to be all day playing has to be good reward.
Third, any advice they can give you to help you as best you can resist the tournament is perfect, but above all patience must prevail.

Congratulations on your 4th place. Hopefully you follow the right path and can repeat and improve your good results.

J

June4Spades

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well, long tournaments are certainly not healthy. I'd try to get moving from time to time (not only during the breaks), prepare healthy food for the beginning and unhealthy (sugar, coffee) for the later stages.

U

UncleConRon

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My opinion

You really don't prepare for long tournaments. You come into a cardroom like americascardroom.eu. If when you come in you feel like a short tourny you come in the last levels of registration. If you feel you want to grind and get a lot of chips before the last levels of a tourny you start from scratch. Another way to tell its going to be a long tourny is just a small buy-in for a large guarantee. The late entries can last 5 hours. Then comes the show downs. So when you have time to think what you want to do in poker in the day figure do you want a long run or short run at the time you sit at a cardroom.

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CR
Chips
In my personal case ... I usually check in the poker site lobby ... what is the schedule of the tournaments that I am interested in playing ...
1-) For example if I already decided to play 2 or 3 tournaments on Saturday, then I try to sleep well and rest the necessary hours on Friday.
2-) I make sure I don't have to do any kind of homework or have nothing pending that I have to do on Saturday.
3-) I prepare a cold and refreshing drink to be hydrating every so often during my game session.
4-) I prepare in advance the meals I will have during the game.
5-) I take advantage of the 5 minutes that tournaments offer every hour to go to the bathroom, walk a little, etc ...

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
A good rest before the start of the tournament and playing sports in general will help you to be in shape !!!

D

discintildeath

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preparing mentally

It takes a lot of energy to devote that much focus for that long. Practicing mindfulness is a general tactic to help you improve your whole life endlessly. This can translate to your poker game so I suggest watching a few YT Videos on mindfulness. I'd bet you could find one that even relates mindfulness to poker.

Risto234

Risto234

põrandaalune pokkerimängija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
EE
Chips
No preperation is the best way to prepare. Honestly. :cool:

D

dorynel7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It s very good rest before the start of the tournament and playing sports.