How to play tournaments with long late registration

J

jolaz69

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
You play a late reg tournament the same way you'd play any other tournament.

danoscar

danoscar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Late registration?

I have thought about that quite often. I really do not think it matters anymore for myself. Entering early gives me more time to build a stack if lady luck obligies. Entering later helps me avoid those folks going all-in and perhaps blowing me out when betting with a crappy hand. Makes me feel like Phil. For me it seems, it is inevitable that toward the end of my play, I will be short stacked, go all in with a pair of aces and somebody with lots of moola calls with a 6-9 offsuit and wins.

So I suppose both ways have good and bad. From what I have seen, the number of entrants goes down very fast the first 30 minutes or so.

Good luck!

P

PKRNRS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is a pain in the butt at times. I like a good old freeze out any day. It's like this in live tournaments now as well. Almost are all re-entry. I'm always waiting to get to the buy-in cut off. Then the players start dropping like flies. Some online poker tournament can have a 5 hours rebuy/add on. They can suck the life out of your play. Of course it keeps their profits healthy, why collect one fee when you can get players to post multiple buy-ins and pay a higher price to play.

P

PKRNRS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi all!I'm new here.
Question; is there mathematically a different to win, if you start later?

Technically you play through less players but you start with a smaller stack. I've seen buy-ins that literally have you at 10 BB. You basically are buying in to shove one good hand and get lucky. Who wants that? It's not poker...

DuffMcGruff

DuffMcGruff

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I actually prefer tournaments with long late regs. It attracts a lot of fish players who don’t have the patience to sit through a full tournament.
They typically come with the guaranteed prize pools tournaments, as they want to give themselves a chance to cover the pool.
More people means bigger prize pools, and the more people in a tournament, the bigger your skill edge should be.

Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think if you are not playing from the start you are depending more on luck less on skill. You should be able to pick spots better if you have more time.

krisi77

krisi77

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
in pokerstars before was tournaments with no late registration and I liked them very much but now has stopped them and I miss a lot

mitchy boi

mitchy boi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The true essence of poker is to play with skill and logic...

You have to build your stack up anyway to win the tournament why not give yourself the best edge to win Start early and let the late comers punt off under pressure

Empress

Empress

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is my least favorite type of tournament specs. I try to not play these at all and when I do, I'll only play if I get in on the first 1-3 levels.

madjek

madjek

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with most here. You have to have the time to play these. If you play tight and wait for right opportunity. Always many loose players just trying to build a stack quick and willing to risk their chips with marginal hands figuring they have plenty of time to reenter if they lose. Also if you can get a decent stack by end of late registration their will be plenty of last min players desperately trying to get a double up which you can also take advantage of