EvertonGirl

EvertonGirl

Professional Fish
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I have and do fold sets, if there is a flush/straight on the board. I can't count how many times I have lost my sets to a straight, as I run out of fingers and toes :D

Aces2w1n

Aces2w1n

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
almost run into set over set as much as KK running into AA you still charge!!! even though theres a chance... at the end you want to make the most profitable move and that's get it in... if you lose well that's just another hand (bad beat)

OMGITSOVER9K

OMGITSOVER9K

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
stop playing full ring then..

OMGITSOVER9K

OMGITSOVER9K

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
6max is the nuts, when you start you'll never want to go back

+ set over set isn't a common occurence, you can get your sets in without worry!

EvertonGirl

EvertonGirl

Professional Fish
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I do play a bit of 6max on titan, been playing quite well on there.

I like to play both tbh :)

I have just lost a hand to a set of 2s, I only needed a K to complete my hand and I just kept cbetting, the guy with the 2s just kept betting even with a known straight on the board, he took that chance, so I can see your point in that.

M

marcumx

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't know why ppl feel the need to go all in esp. early in a tourney with AA and KK or sometimes with any pocket pair. if I had a dollar every time I've seen these busted with rags , it would buy me into several main events for the next decade

EvertonGirl

EvertonGirl

Professional Fish
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I know, I see it a lot too :)

I am just passed the bubble stage in the bankroll freeroll, but at the start I had 99 which I raised and 2 got callers shoving all in, I thought why not and called. I was against AK and KJ and my 9s held :D

I would not shove with AA myself, but I would call with a shove with a pocket pair and take a chance that they are not holding a higher pocket pair. People see as AA as not only the best starting hand but the best hand ever, they don't think they can be cracked and see their @@@ when it is :D

stevenright

stevenright

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't know why ppl feel the need to go all in esp. early in a tourney with AA and KK or sometimes with any pocket pair. if I had a dollar every time I've seen these busted with rags , it would buy me into several main events for the next decade

it's never good to fold AA pre-flop anytime in tournament... you could get rid of it on the flop with heated action, though

EvertonGirl

EvertonGirl

Professional Fish
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
it's never good to fold AA pre-flop anytime in tournament... you could get rid of it on the flop with heated action, though

I don't think he is saying fold AA pre-flop, he is saying he doesn't understand why people shove AA pre-flop

aCutAbove

aCutAbove

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I saw the hand were referring to, small ball doesn't mean folding sets..

I mean if you're folding sets then raising you on that board as an opponent is so +ev they actually print money vs you.

even given the hand preflop (min raised and got flatted) do we really ever epect QQ to not 3bet? that gives him 3 combos of 88 and if you give him QQ thats another 3. compared to all the combos of Q8 and everything else?

we can't fold, or really justify folding..

edit: if I come off as a douche, sorry but I can't let people carry on justfying folding the 3rd nuts on the flop

Yep that's what i was going to say, why would you think about folding to a raise there. You are in front more often than not there. You set mined and hit your set on a board that's ok for playing on with air never mind with a small set.

It's hard (near impossible) to look at the available info and see it as a fold imo.
Even if the opponent shoved on QQQ and we called and lost we could easily forgive ourselves on those rare occasions, yeah?

stevenright

stevenright

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think he is saying fold AA pre-flop, he is saying he doesn't understand why people shove AA pre-flop

"to go all in" i understood in 'reasonable' manners hehe... like heat action, like 3-bet, 4-bet, then shove your AA, or when someone's already all in then you should call either way doesn't matter if it's early or not....

about shoving with anyone raising it's just ridiculous... only do that if you are in a freeroll and it doesnt matter

F

Flsnookman

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Couple of thoughts...first the chances of making a set are small so set mines are only a good bet if you get in cheap. Second you must realize what people play. What i mean is if you flop your set of threes on a board of ace king three you have to know that youre dead if another ace or king falls. Also since tourny poker is a pressure game betting more pre flop will save you money in the long run. Again there are a lot of other factors to consider. Hope this helps good luck.

rivernickels

rivernickels

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually limp small pairs, occasionally i raise if I'm opening, depending on the tightness of the bb. I usually min raise med pairs, orjust limp if theres already a limper.

EvertonGirl

EvertonGirl

Professional Fish
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I took your advice on playing sets and actually did very well doing so.

I have had about 8 sets some of them trips in PLO on 888 poker, it paid very well I ended up well above average sitting on 24K. My sets ended there :D

I eventually lost all my chips losing AA both times, I thought the second time I would possibly win with my AA and I was getting short stacked but no I was cracked again :D

Enjoyed it while it lasted :)

EvertonGirl

EvertonGirl

Professional Fish
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Yep that's what i was going to say, why would you think about folding to a raise there. You are in front more often than not there. You set mined and hit your set on a board that's ok for playing on with air never mind with a small set.

It's hard (near impossible) to look at the available info and see it as a fold imo.
Even if the opponent shoved on QQQ and we called and lost we could easily forgive ourselves on those rare occasions, yeah?

Possibly would play with QQ on the board and I hope my FH holds but QQQ well that would depend who I am playing against and my position. If I did call and lost I would never forgive myself not laying it down when I believe I am beaten

F

Flsnookman

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Couple of thoughts...first the chances of making a set are small so set mines are only a good bet if you get in cheap. Second you must realize what people play. What i mean is if you flop your set of threes on a board of ace king three you have to know that youre dead if another ace or king falls. Also since tourny poker is a pressure game betting more pre flop will save you money in the long run. Again there are a lot of other factors to consider. Hope this helps good luck.

Mr Sandbag

Mr Sandbag

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Not true. If the board pairs, you have a full house. If a second King turns, the only hands that beat you are AK/K3, and if an Ace turns, you lose to AK/A3. You still have to shove. The reason I'm not mentioning AA or KK is because you are in big trouble already, but it is irrelevant because you still have to shove your set of 3's on the flop if you are in a spot to do so.

F

Flsnookman

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thats what i meant everyone plays AK. Maybe I wasnt clear I was trying to say that some boards are better than others for sets.

Mr Sandbag

Mr Sandbag

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thats what i meant everyone plays AK. Maybe I wasnt clear I was trying to say that some boards are better than others for sets.

Well yeah, but you can't really justify folding a set unless there is an obvious straight or flush, the board paired twice, or the villain is so nitty that you know he has AA or KK. Otherwise, ship it in.

Katyushka4

Katyushka4

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Pre-flop with AA and KK you always aspire to play on the stack, that is, in most cases, play a raise, 3-bet, 4-bet all-in. (Exceptions are meaningful only in the rare cases when you want your opponent to stay in the bank.

Akorps

Akorps

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks, good info. Been working on that myself :)

NeverEnough

NeverEnough

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Be careful how you play small pairs for example yesterday had 33 min raise got 1 call Q83 Flop I thought I was ahead but after betting heavily and losing a lot of chips player flips over QQ very sick and sneaky I was ITM min cash if he 3-bet me pre flop I probably fold oh well that's poker
Hate that. Last time someone had a better set to mine was a guy w/a set of queens to my set of 8s. I hit my 8 on flop. I shove & he calls with his pocket queens. He gets his 3rd queen on the turn! I go home with zero.