How to play in the tournament and reach the final table?

Tadi

Tadi

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BA
Chips
Greetings!
Do you play the same in all stages of the tournament?
When should you be passive, aggressive, or combine both?
What is your recipe for reaching the final table?
I would be grateful if you would reveal some of your secrets.

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
at the early and late stages, I play a passive aggressive player after the middle of the game when I know about the players and their manner of playing, having collected enough information when it comes to the bubble to prizes if I have a lot of chips I try to play more aggressively because many people will want to get into prizes and thus discard even strong cards to the final table you need to play from the middle of the game or after the bubble when you definitely got prizes but so do those people who want prizes and if you play at the final table, it's better to play more aggressively from the middle of the game and collect more chips because in the final whoever has more chips will dominate the final table more, it will be difficult to play against the leader's chip

Tadi

Tadi

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BA
Chips
at the early and late stages, I play a passive aggressive player after the middle of the game when I know about the players and their manner of playing, having collected enough information when it comes to the bubble to prizes if I have a lot of chips I try to play more aggressively because many people will want to get into prizes and thus discard even strong cards to the final table you need to play from the middle of the game or after the bubble when you definitely got prizes but so do those people who want prizes and if you play at the final table, it's better to play more aggressively from the middle of the game and collect more chips because in the final whoever has more chips will dominate the final table more, it will be difficult to play against the leader's chip
Thanks for the detailed explanation, it will definitely be useful in my tournament play. I wish you much success in life and in poker, of course.

lacroir

lacroir

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
HU
Chips
At the beginning I always play quite strict. I delicately choose my starting hands and don't go into 3-4 way pots if I really don't have some beast hand.
While we reach the middle stage, but still before the bubble I start to loose up a bit (assuming I'm not short-stacked, that's a different story). Hopefully I could built a bit of nitty image so my raises should be respected and hopefully get the folds when I want.
During the bubble, my play is still not the best... I play too strict again so to just squeeze into ITM, but imho you should push more and be aggressive (actually be aggressive through the whole tournament, but in the bubble especially).
Once the bubble bursts, it's like a freeroll again for a lot, so I try to be more careful with the ppl who just survived and go all-in over and over again. Then we are going to be less than 20BB usually, maybe even <10BB so that's a different play again, more aggressive, more all-ins.
And if I reach the final table.. I still practice that 😂 But aggressive and try to avoid unnecessary all-ins imho. In the final table every position could mean so much more $$$.

CDNMAN 42

CDNMAN 42

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
At the start of a tourney I play close attention to other players habits re betting/folding and usually I can get aggressive early, build a stack then get tighter in middle stages and hopefully make the Money.

Djon25

Djon25

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
When there are up to 1000 participants, you can still get to the final table. But when there are more players, then you probably need to read some books.

Tadi

Tadi

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BA
Chips
At the beginning I always play quite strict. I delicately choose my starting hands and don't go into 3-4 way pots if I really don't have some beast hand.
While we reach the middle stage, but still before the bubble I start to loose up a bit (assuming I'm not short-stacked, that's a different story). Hopefully I could built a bit of nitty image so my raises should be respected and hopefully get the folds when I want.
During the bubble, my play is still not the best... I play too strict again so to just squeeze into ITM, but imho you should push more and be aggressive (actually be aggressive through the whole tournament, but in the bubble especially).
Once the bubble bursts, it's like a freeroll again for a lot, so I try to be more careful with the ppl who just survived and go all-in over and over again. Then we are going to be less than 20BB usually, maybe even <10BB so that's a different play again, more aggressive, more all-ins.
And if I reach the final table.. I still practice that 😂 But aggressive and try to avoid unnecessary all-ins imho. In the final table every position could mean so much more $$$.
You don't play statically, if I understand correctly, you generally play carefully. Thanks for sharing your experience.
At the start of a tourney I play close attention to other players habits re betting/folding and usually I can get aggressive early, build a stack then get tighter in middle stages and hopefully make the Money.
That's roughly how I play. If I reach ITM, I usually have slightly less chips than average.
When there are up to 1000 participants, you can still get to the final table. But when there are more players, then you probably need to read some books.
Thanks for the advice, it will certainly come in handy. I played tournaments with 3, 4, 5... thousand and usually placed 100-200 places. I will try to play tournaments with a smaller number of players.
A lot of thank`s!
Thanks for following my posts.

hilary antonik filho

hilary antonik filho

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I don't follow a script, everything will depend on how I am in each tournament, I can be aggressive in the beginning and more passive towards the final table. this online

pabbl

pabbl

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I play intensively with my body language and breathing is very important in that case... can keep you really calm and relaxed, just wanted to tell that except of playing with your mind your body is a strong component. Breathing techniques let me fly over the birds and screen every Chance of losing or winning the game. Yeah thats about it

Tadi

Tadi

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BA
Chips
I don't follow a script, everything will depend on how I am in each tournament, I can be aggressive in the beginning and more passive towards the final table. this online
I was online and thought. Thanks for the comment :D
I play intensively with my body language and breathing is very important in that case... can keep you really calm and relaxed, just wanted to tell that except of playing with your mind your body is a strong component. Breathing techniques let me fly over the birds and screen every Chance of losing or winning the game. Yeah thats about it
Hvala što ste komentirali :D

AlphaCentauro

AlphaCentauro

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Greetings!
Be patient, avoid going all in preflop even if you have AA, tighten your ranges, learn when you can squeeze.
Regarding being passive or aggressive, you will have to figure it out yourself, whatever suits you best. I like playing aggressively because in my opinion best defence is an offence 😁
Good luck!

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Usually in the first stages of the tournament I like to play more tight or tight/aggressive. The medium/late stages of the tournament for me it depends of my chip stack and the style of my opponents.

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Greetings!
Depending on the situation, I change my tactics and game strategy. It depends on many factors, on the format of the tournament, on the stage of the tournament, on the size of my bankroll, and of course on the play of my opponents.

rastapapolos

rastapapolos

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DZ
Chips
At the begining of the mtt tight is right.
When there is Ante in play, you have to be more aggressive.
Less than 15bb it's a push or fold.

Igor Popadyk

Igor Popadyk

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
as it sounds strange, you need to get as much as possible and understand that tournaments can be played with folds - correct folds

A

AntoniodeLima0

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
Greetings!
Do you play the same at every stage of the tournament?
When should you be passive, aggressive, or combine the two?
I think that playing in position, being aggressive, knowing how to control low moments in the tournament, being patient, are great advice to be able to reach a final table.

PatriceM915

PatriceM915

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You have to be patient and calm at the same time be aggressive at the right time and be lucky too

spectralwave

spectralwave

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
1 ADD VALUE TO CHIPS
Don't get involved in many hands or in multiway pots (with more than one opponent), as in previous phases. Here, the stack-to-blind ratio is small, and we don't have room to waste chips. Remember that the objective of the tournament is to accumulate all the chips, of all the opponents, and when you lose a blind, you stop winning a blind by doubling your stack – and the opponent, who won your blind, will win a blind extra when folding. So, don't waste your chips with unnecessary calls.

2 RAISE, DO NOT CALL
Avoid paying raises. Bet more, be you the aggressor. Always have fold equity (FE) on your side. The number of times an opponent folds to your raise or re-raise can transform hands with negative expectation (-EV) into hands with positive expectation (+EV). Having FE is one of the most important weapons at final tables.

3 KNOW THE ENEMY
Already at the semifinal table, take the opportunity to collect as much information as possible and make observations about your opponents. Put pressure on those who feel the pressure of the TF bubble. These are the ones who will play more passively and with a very low percentage of bluffs in their arsenal.
Online, you can search for each player in OPR or sharkscope. Look at who is regular, recreational, profitable, and especially what their average buy-in is in relation to the tournament prize pool. Lower limit players (low stakes) feel much more pressured in the late stages of mid and high stakes tournaments, for example.

4 BEWARE OF HIGH VARIANCE PLAYS
Avoid plays where decisions have low EV. The TF long term is much more difficult to achieve. Thus, a play can be +EV relative to chips, but -EV relative to the prize pool. This can be calculated using the ICM (Independent Chip Model). A good example is an all-in against two opponents. In addition to the chips, when one of them falls, you jump to the next prize pool, which makes a big difference in the final profitability.

5 DEFINE YOUR TARGETS
Play pots preferably against medium stacks. They're not in a situation where they'd want to get all their chips in a hand, and when they feel they're behind, they're prone to folding. And abuse the short players. Most of the time, they will be playing tight, which gives us good fold equity.

6 PLAYING WITH FEW CHIPS
If you are short, avoid going all-in with weak hands against players with big stacks. The tendency is for them to call with a very wide range of hands.

7 DON'T PAIN
Start by playing tighter. Watch table and player trends. This will facilitate decision making.

8 AGGRESSIVE, NOT CRAZY
Play more aggressively, as I said, prefer to raise and reraise instead of just calling, but remember: aggressiveness is not synonymous with stupidity. Here, it bears repeating: fold equity, fold equity, fold equity.

9 BEWARE OF MOVES
At this stage, avoid trying to find spots against more than one player. There are high chances that your bluff won't fold or that you'll run into an opponent with a value hand – since, at the final table, the game is a little tighter.

10 FORGET YOUR CHIPS POSITION
Never mind your current FT rank. Here, the most important thing is your chips in relation to the shortest and the average of the tournament.

11 ATTACKING THE BLINDS
Keep your focus on a good strategy for stealing blinds. This is necessary to keep our FE high.

12 TABLE POSITION
Don't play out of position. Rarely will the EV pay off the chip investment.

13 TOWARDS THE TOP
Always play to win, but remember that the more you get involved in situations where there is a risk of elimination, the harder it will be to win the title.

;)(y):coffee::giggle:

E

eduardo8269

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's better to play more aggressively in the middle of the game and collect more chips because in the final whoever has the most chips will dominate the final table more, it will be difficult to play against the leader's record stay focused brother

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Greetings!
I almost never change my playing style. Sometimes I can make atypical decisions, but it depends on each specific situation. In any case, I always play patiently and disciplined :)

Tadi

Tadi

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BA
Chips
Be patient, avoid going all in preflop even if you have AA, tighten your ranges, learn when you can squeeze.
Regarding being passive or aggressive, you will have to figure it out yourself, whatever suits you best. I like playing aggressively because in my opinion best defence is an offence 😁
Good luck!
You are a good player and your advice is valuable.
You have to be patient and calm at the same time be aggressive at the right time and be lucky too.
That's pretty much how I play.
1 ADD VALUE TO CHIPS
Don't get involved in many hands or in multiway pots (with more than one opponent), as in previous phases. Here, the stack-to-blind ratio is small, and we don't have room to waste chips. Remember that the objective of the tournament is to accumulate all the chips, of all the opponents, and when you lose a blind, you stop winning a blind by doubling your stack – and the opponent, who won your blind, will win a blind extra when folding. So, don't waste your chips with unnecessary calls.
Your detailed explanations will benefit me in order to improve my game and I will try to apply what you wrote. Thank you very much for taking the trouble to explain :)
It's better to play more aggressively in the middle of the game and collect more chips because in the final whoever has the most chips will dominate the final table more, it will be difficult to play against the leader's record stay focused brother.
Basically we all try to play like that, some have less and some have more success. Thank you for your support! :D
I almost never change my playing style. Sometimes I can make atypical decisions, but it depends on each specific situation. In any case, I always play patiently and disciplined :)
We have the same or similar style of play. Patience is very important. It's hard for me to win, but I can achieve solid results. Thanks for sharing your opinion :)

Risto234

Risto234

põrandaalune pokkerimängija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
EE
Chips
2 RAISE, DO NOT CALL
Avoid paying raises. Bet more, be you the aggressor. Always have fold equity (FE) on your side. The number of times an opponent folds to your raise or re-raise can transform hands with negative expectation (-EV) into hands with positive expectation (+EV). Having FE is one of the most important weapons at final tables.
Strategy where you dont call (and/or check) is indeed quite astonishing :unsure:

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
We play as carefully as possible, according to the charts, we don’t invent anything, without bluffs. After getting into the prizes, you need to increase the stack, up to a comfortable value - about 50 blinds. After that, you need to play carefully, take advantage of the stack. With a comfortable stack, you have more options and less chance of losing.It's better to cash in less often, but make it to the final table, than to cash in often, try to sit out 1-2 pay-jumps by playing carefully, and end up busting before reaching the final table anyway.

Sebbour

Sebbour

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
HR
Chips
Greetings!
Hey Tadi,

here you have 10 part course of "How to Win a Tournament" by Evan Jarvis. It should be helpful: