How to play in a KO tournament?

AttitudeXL

AttitudeXL

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
imho you have to see as much flop as you can and only after that act like you want.
FLOP is significant
I always prefer to see flop but i also must to admit that sometimes i have gone blind all-in. When monster pair in hand and opponet had been throwing multiple all-ins in small amount of time. It usually means that they will throw it around with unusually stupid handcards. Must remember I'm talking micro stakes and in there you can exit everything to happen [emoji23]

R

redmast

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I try to play cautiously but with a big raise because of a lot of bad players. And the more the cost of entry to the tournament, the more this tournament looks like a regular tournament.

Santiman

Santiman

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
KO is one of those strange games where it has been different each and every time I play it.. some days everyone is super tight.. and others where everyone is lose and extremely aggressive. There was a games where I actually seen where everyone.. (including me) went all in on the first hand!! .. of course I lost it but was still crazy to see..

MetaDon7577

MetaDon7577

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey.
I prefer to play at a real table, in a regular hold'em. I do not know, as for me, knockout poker is no different.

Good luck at the tables!

wyoming4paul

wyoming4paul

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello everyone, I have some questions to ask about the KO tournaments.

1) What differences do you find in KO tournament players compared to conventional tournament players? Is the game more conservative or more aggressive?

2) Do you follow a conventional strategy for this modality or do you make a special game plan for the KO?

3) Do you prefer a conventional poker tournament or knockout?

Good luck at the tables, greetings.

1. Much more aggressive, everyone is trying for the home-run.
2. I sit back and let them come at me more, they're much more willing to give all their chips away in search of the KO.
3. I actually prefer a knockout, play the $2 heads up a lot on BOL or sportsbetting at 8:45 PM eastern. Most of the time I've gotten my money back before we hit the money. This is a great KO, because it's also a boost, so I can see more hands in less time with greater chance for big returns when I get a hand.

fa_max4

fa_max4

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
KO tournaments are great, you just have to look at the info.
For exemple, in the beginning of a bounty builder tounament, you should go after chips, but the bountys aren't really a factor (they are like 20% of your buy in, so yeah if you have a chance go for it but don't force it).
But when you get to the money, some bountys will be bigger than the next pay jump, so at this point, you should play looser and go after those bountys, because they become more profitable than just staying alive and getting the money jump.

Boston10111

Boston10111

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I’m a fan of KO tournaments.

In nature KO tournaments are much more aggressive than a conventional. Everyone wants to earn their buy in back and profit before they even get in the money.

With that being said, this is an advantage if you can play the tight game. People bluff hard and you can build a good stack taking advantage of this aggressiveness plus some bounties to break even before you get in the money.

People’s play becomes sloppier with the incentive of getting paid everytime they KO someone else. Take advantage and this could be a good tournament

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I do not like to stay in such a tournament with a small amount of chips, and if in a regular tournament my range is all-in, if I have less than 10-15 bb, then in a tournament with a knockout it's 20 bb !!!

djasset

djasset

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i find playing the same style is best... i used to play different, didn't work out too well. Now rebuys, that is an entirely different story for strategy.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I also dont play them much differently than a standard format, except that if I see an opportunity to knock somebody out that outweighs the ICM considerations.

Rui Ferreira

Rui Ferreira

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Like other tournaments

I think you should play the same way you play the other tournaments, only with red attention because many players play aggressively because they want to eliminate other players to win the elimination bonuses, but the rest of the dynamics are the same as other tournaments.
:birthday::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

K

kristersb123

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Players are more aggressive in KO tournaments and I personally more prefer KO tournaments because it's easier to get your buy-in back without getting ITM.

B

blata8ruga

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
KO tourneys are much more aggressive! Everyone plays a little silly for a bounty, lots of all ins. The only way to play this style is with some patience I think. They are difficult to play in so good luck in the future!

cranberry

cranberry

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sometimes I like to play in a KO tournaments. When playing in the KO, I try to stick to the standard tactics of the game as in SNG tournaments. But it must be remembered that the main goal is a prize zone, and prizes for knocked out players are secondary.

G

Guernica1974

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
loose and aggressive

people are playing very aggressively, so never bluff in the beginning - you will be called!

if you are big stack on table and one player go all in with less than 2-3 times big blind and you have a monster hand - just go all in people will call you! dont try lure other players in calling because you will get to many calls and your monster hand suddenly only got a 1/3 or 1/4 likelyhood of winning or less.

generally in this format being big stack has to be utilized since other players calls very aggressively on based on my experience more or less anything if a bounty on stake.

i learned dont try get bounty unless you actually have a ok hand - chasing bounties will make you loose and reducing your stack - you just get to many calls in thevlong run if your stack can be taken out

M

megiverz1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think agressively is the way to go. If you don't, you probably won't take much bounties and a good part of the money to win is there (in Pokerstar KO anyway). If you don't like that kind of action, maybe it would be better to play a deep stack tournament.

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I prefer normal tournaments , not the KO format . But if I play it , I try to play agressively . I still have to learn to play better and more carefully with the shoves , last time I started sometime late ITM on the game to play tight and lost many opportunities , then shoved my last blinds UTG with Arag , bad hand , and get called by K9o on the BB for my bounty , K on the flop and I was out . They call very loose for the bounties :(

C

ChicoRSC

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don`t think that kind of tourney a good strategy.
Earn and lose money very fast. Mainly that sit&go (KO) of PS. Really... u start with only 500 chips... the BB 50.... so... u have no many choices... Choose some hand, believe, and bet, a pair in flop is enough to u all in.

G

gryphon3005

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like to play KO tournaments occasionally just to mix things up. I prefer the progressive kos so I can play a somewhat tight game at first and wait for the later stages to try for a ko because by then players have accumulated bigger bounties.