How to play hyper turbo satellite freeroll?

D

dmnchmp

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
BY
Chips
Hello. I'm new to poker. I play freerolls satellites and I have a question. Is there any point in doing it at all? And what's the right strategy? The stack is always short, the blinds are going crazy. I just go all-in with a good hand and hope for luck. But this kind of poker loses its essence, there's no room for maneuver. It makes me sad. How do you feel about it?

Nafor

Nafor

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
FI
Chips
I'd steer away from hypers and turbos. They make very little sense to me. Any strategy goes out the window and the game is more luck than skill.
My advise to you is - play at the level you are comfortable with and you can afford. There is plenty of time later to try to reach the sky once you become more skilled in this game.

And welcome to CC (y)

Acechador

Acechador

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
EC
Chips
With fast blind levels, it's crucial to be aggressive and stack up early, look for opportunities to steal the blinds and early when you're in late position or with strong hands, be willing to take risks and make quick moves to build up your stack.

Zaner

Zaner

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Hello. I'm new to poker. I play freerolls satellites and I have a question. Is there any point in doing it at all? And what's the right strategy? The stack is always short, the blinds are going crazy. I just go all-in with a good hand and hope for luck. But this kind of poker loses its essence, there's no room for maneuver. It makes me sad. How do you feel about it?
play with strong hands but you don't have much time so you'll need go all in many times

Bnobob

Bnobob

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
you must buy game time; know what the villains are doing, play without fear of losing because it is an event that has many tournaments during the week the villains are playing all of them and so losing one here will only take you to the next one to make your best moves

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You need to understand the icm of the format.

There is a big difference between a winner take all satty and one with 10 players and 5 players all get the same ticket.

D

dmnchmp

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
BY
Chips
You need to understand the icm of the format.

There is a big difference between a winner take all satty and one with 10 players and 5 players all get the same ticket.
What is it, icm?

LaNimmer

LaNimmer

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Even though I am new to CardsChat, I do play a ton of pokerstars freerolls that are available throughout the day. Play a tight aggressive game with premium cards and hands, Be patient with the amount of all ins and just keep doubling up. Don't worry about getting busted because there is another freeroll available any minute. Most of the games have a rebuy and add on feature which allows players to do a one time chip up of 50,000 for a small fee. So unless you have the cash to chip up, you must get up to over 50,000 chips in order to have a fighting chance. At this point (about an hour into the game) you can almost play a straightforward game. The numbers of players is much lower so if you manage your stack well and play a relatively tight aggressive game, you will make into the prize. I win one or two a day but not always. Good luck and avoid going on tilt!

CataRouillet

CataRouillet

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
I think the best way to play turbo/hyper is aggressively. Gathering chips at the beginning of the game will allow you to play calmer in late moments. But it always ends up resolving into all-in hands and much less play than in slow tournaments.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What is it, icm?
This from ICMIZER:

What is ICM?​

ICM stands for the Independent Chip Model. It is a model that allows you to convert a tournament players chips into their real money equity as a percentage of the total prize pool. It essentially allows you to get a real money value for your tournament chip stack or to work out the financial risk/reward of a particular decision in tournaments. If you play tournaments it is essential you have a knowledge of ICM poker, otherwise you will make big financial mistakes.

Before it was known as ICM, the Independent Chip Model began life as the Malmuth-Harville Formula in 1987. It was based on a similar formula for making horse racing predictions and was initially used in poker to get an estimate of the value of a stack at a final table for deal making purposes. It was much later after the online poker boom that ICM was used to guide strategic decisions. In particular the decisions on or around the money bubble, and afterwards.

The early adopters of ICM were mostly Sit & Go (SNG) grinders because single table tournaments were much easier to ‘solve’ in ICM spots because they had a small amount of players. SNG grinders were also exposed to more situations where ICM had a major influence in any given session every time they played. ICM fell out of fashion for a while when multi table tournaments became the dominant format in online poker, but in recent years MTT grinders have woken up to the importance of ICM in large field tournaments.

ICM being adopted by SNG grinders led to the creation of ICM solver technology like ICMIZER which has developed and kept up with the changing landscape of online poker. ICM applies to all poker formats where there are two or more payouts, whether they are MTTs, PKOs, satellites, SNGs, Double or Nothings, Spin & Go Max, or anything else that is developed in the future of poker.

Why ICM Poker is important​

In a cash game the value of a poker chip is constant. A $1 chip represents $1 at the tables at all times. In a tournament that is not the case, the value of your chips fluctuate throughout the game. As such your decisions in a tournament are different to a cash game, even if the position, cards and number of blinds are identical. If you play a tournament hand exactly like you would a cash game hand you will lose a lot of money over time.

A good way to grasp why ICM is one of the most important considerations in poker tournaments is with a simple example. Let’s say you are playing in a $100 SNG with ten players and there is no rake. Each player begins with 100 chips. What is the value of a single chip at the start of the tournament?

The answer is $1. There are 100 chips, one for every dollar of the buy-in.
Let’s say that this tournament has three payouts - $500 for 1st, $300 for 2nd and $200 for third. Each player at the table has eliminated another player at the table, meaning five players remain and they all have 200 chips each. What is the value of a single chip now?

It is still $1. Each player has 200 chips and essentially has $200 of equity now, so each chip is worth $1.

Now let’s fast forward to the end of the tournament and one player, let’s call her Jane, has won all the chips, so she has 1,000 chips. What is the value of a single chip in her stack now?

The answer is actually $0.50.

What has happened?

The chips have literally halved in value. This is because of what separates tournaments from cash games - the payouts. Jane has won $1,000 worth of chips but because of the payouts she can only win the first prize of $500. If this had been a $100 buy-in cash game where she won all the chips at the table she would have $1,000 right now, but it is a tournament so her winnings are capped.

Where has the other $500 in equity gone? It has gone to the runner-up and third place finisher in the form of payouts.

This difference between tournaments and cash games has major strategic implications. If you make a $100 bet in a cash game and get called, you win $200 when you have the best hand. This 1:1 ratio is what is called a Chip EV (cEV) situation. If you bet your 100 chips in our example tournament you risk $100 of equity, but you do not get $100 in real money equity back when you win. It varies, but you always stand to win less than you risk in any tournament decision (except in PKO tournaments). The broad strategic adjustment is to, therefore, play tighter in tournaments than you would in cash games.

Consider the following example, which you can replicate yourself using the free ICM calculator at ICMIZER.com. It’s the start of that rakeless $100 tournament with 10 players and $500/$300/$200 payouts. Let’s say that two players go all-in against each other, blind vs blind, and one player is eliminated, meaning that nine players remain, one has 200 chips and the other eight still have their 100 chip starting stack.

What would you say the equity was of the new chip leader?

If you said $200, you would be wrong. If this was a cash game that would be correct, but the actual answer is $184.44.

Where did the other $15.56 go?

It went to the other eight players.

sidd4rt4

sidd4rt4

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
EC
Chips
its more all in time, just wait ak aq aj and pairs and expect the unexpectable

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi.
I treat such tournaments like a lottery. I also rely on luck and just wait for good cards. Such tournaments can be played if they are freerolls, but I never play in hyper tournaments with a buy-in.
Good luck.

Igor Popadyk

Igor Popadyk

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's just a lottery, and you need to treat such tournaments in such a way that there is no strategy, just luck!

D

dmnchmp

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
BY
Chips
Have any of you ever won any of these tournaments?

Canaldo Kao

Canaldo Kao

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
If you come out with any good hand in this type of All in tournament or you make 3x to call someone to the hand, you don't have much time to think!:unsure:⌚⌚

CNXRegie

CNXRegie

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PH
Chips
I guess we're in the same boat, but here's my dilemma.

I recently participated in a series of hyper turbo satellite tournaments on PokerStars, aiming to secure a ticket to Step 2. Despite finishing in first place in one of them, the BountyBuilder, I actually intended to place second to last for the $5 prize rather than advancing to Step 2. Consequently, I found myself consistently shoving all-in with around 20 players remaining before reaching the money/ticket stage, but my attempts proved fruitless as I was playing with about 10% of the stack and kept winning. Unfortunately, I fell short of obtaining the Step 3 ticket.

As a newbie player, I would greatly appreciate your recommended strategies for these types of tournaments. Thank you in advance for your insights!

stampide

stampide

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
hyper turbo tournament it just lottery! Just go all-inn with good hands, it simle

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
Almost all qualifiers have a guaranteed prize pool, so there is a possibility of an overlay. In some poker rooms it is extremely low. For example, PokerStars calculates the satellite schedule with a large margin, so the guarantee always beats.The main advantage of satellites is the opportunity to play in an expensive tournament, spending less money than required to register in it.This is a lottery.

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I don't like so much this kind of games because they try to drive you to rebuys. Generally it needs a very aggressive play and good luck!

R.Holynskyi

R.Holynskyi

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
In such tournaments, everything is decided by luck. You will either get lucky, or more likely not. When I play in such tournaments, I just wait for good cards and go all-in.

N

Niykk

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Register the last second. Live till the addon. Get the add-on. Try to survive till the bubble pops and win a seat to the next sat.

D

dmnchmp

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
BY
Chips
Register the last second. Live till the addon. Get the add-on. Try to survive till the bubble pops and win a seat to the next sat.
Wow, that looks like a good working strategy. It's worth trying this way. Thanks)

Poker Tells