How to play against someone who overshoves a lot?

liuouhgkres

liuouhgkres

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
KH
Chips
@oriole, if villain is overshoving 3x, 4x often it's very easy to play against him even with 10bb. Tighten up, hit something on flop and call all in. You can afford that, just play tight.

It's much more difficult when you have opponent who knows how to overbet correctly and has a good mix of overbets and underbets, values and bluffs. Now, playing against such players would be nightmare.

mariale_1990

mariale_1990

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
usually I try to see if it has a specific game pattern, if the times you bet as it does and this kind of thing, it is not easy to play against this type of players but it is not impossible either, sometimes you can change the game strategy to see if the opponent calms down a bit, if that does not happen then you have to try to take risks

Spaceman

Spaceman

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I remember Negreanu told in an interview, that if you ever play a pro, the best way to make them take wrong decisions and make mistakes is by shoving. Cause shoving cant be outplayed. You have to risk, you either guess right and win everything or guess wrong and lose everything. And if you play it safe and fold, your opponent wins the pot.

It is hard. And the worst part is, you can fold everything waiting for a straight to call and when you think you have him he shows something that beats your straight. :mad:

B

bstest

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In a tournament you don't have to be the hero, if it might end your tournament life. Let others take a swing at it. Heads up push harder than he/she does.

abzdolc

abzdolc

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
first of all - it's not possible to have best hand each time;
second - if you found that opp had nice hands - the % that he has it now - less;
third - if you are not sure in postflop play, try to push fold more

P

PokerDev

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This will be a diff answer for heads up vs ft etc

If it's consistent, I pretend their bets are a normal size and respond accordingly.

ZenGreen

ZenGreen

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
cuss ,, and wait for that hand that will stack him and then when I get that hand, we get it all in and he has a better nut LOL!!!

dang I could of done that 10 hands ago

Nathan Smith

Nathan Smith

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just recently had a tournament where one player had a tendency to overshove(3x, 4x, 5x pot) on a lot of turns and rivers. I ended up battling against him in heads-up and I was struggling to make good decisions.

The few times he got called, he had a very good hand, but it was very unlikely that he had a monster every time he shoved. I obviously can't afford to wait for nuts and try to trap him in a tournament where we have 20-40 big blinds, so how do you play against someone like that?

If he over shoves too much then your obvious strategy is to over call more. Widen your calling range and be prepared to call with middle pair. It increases your volatility but you can win bigger pots and close out the tournament sooner rather than later.

Vilgeoforc

Vilgeoforc

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you feel that the opponent is better than you in the heads-up you have to turn into a maniac and knock him out. The biggest mistake is a passive game. You have only two and below the second place you will not fall.

MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Happened to me yesterday during the CC League game. The guy to my right was jamming almost every hand with just about anything. I called with a better hand but he made trips with one of his under-cards. I busted on that hand but would play it the same way any day.

G

gwj63

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
just a guess, but in my opinion....
be patient, and let them make a mistake
eventually you can fight back or HAVE to
because of stack size.....
and youre right, they cant have a hand every time...
be patient and get the most out of your good hands
good luck

NHequalsFU

NHequalsFU

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just recently had a tournament where one player had a tendency to overshove(3x, 4x, 5x pot) on a lot of turns and rivers. I ended up battling against him in heads-up and I was struggling to make good decisions.

The few times he got called, he had a very good hand, but it was very unlikely that he had a monster every time he shoved. I obviously can't afford to wait for nuts and try to trap him in a tournament where we have 20-40 big blinds, so how do you play against someone like that?

I wouldn't widen my range against said player and call off lighter. You don't need a monster and villain probably isn't shoving monsters either all the time like you said.

You will blind down too far to be effective if you wait for super strong hands.

X

xRanieri

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
People generally overshove for value

Unless he's super tilted, the majority of overshoves, especially in cash games, are cuz they hit something crazy and know you can't fold. Harrington touched on the EV of bets with the nuts:

(EV) = (Bet amount) * (Probability of call)

If the general player is calling overshoves to bluff catch, it's a good EV play. Probably even more EV than a pot bet.

iosif18

iosif18

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
ff

Hello friend.Patience is the key vs very aggressive players....you can limp a good hand .If you hit a set check it ...you will be valued.I think the best way vs overshoved players is too check call .(your fake weakness will be paid ).Good luck.