How much of your poker bankroll should you stake on a tornement?

Nafor

Nafor

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
FI
Chips
I like to be conservative - meaning: having about 200 buy-ins in my bankroll. I would not go higher than 1.5%. 0.5-1 is more usual to me.

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Generally speaking 1% is the max for MTTs, but if you are a losing player it doesn't really matter because you'll lose in the long run anyway.

Good BRM will give you a better understanding of where your overall game is at, without all the fluctuations from the buy-in differences.

Once you establish your own game, you can experiment with BRM options that maximize your return without putting your BR at risk of bust.

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
but if you are a losing player it doesn't really matter because you'll lose in the long run anyway.
This right here.

If you're a losing player, just go ahead and play a game that you will have fun playing. Playing nosebleed microMTTs may be fun for some and not so much for others.

Also, winning and losing players aside, consider what you're trying to achieve. If your idea of discipline is to not blow a $50 bank roll because you like winning a few cents per hour, then go ahead with the 1% rule.

ADRI7HO

ADRI7HO

On the road...
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A buy-in of between 100-200 would be ideal if you can stick to tight bankroll management ... but there are downswings when it is not so easy because of the tilt from this. :sneaky:

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
play for money that you don't mind losing just have fun and the profit will come by itself if you know how to play don't worry about it:)

Eduard0Felipe

Eduard0Felipe

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I believe that it is only 1%, so the chance of losing the bankroll is very low, since you have 100 buy-ins, I don't understand why some people disagree with that idea. The more you have, the better, the less chance of frustration in the future. My bankroll is still under $50, I only made a $20 deposit, the rest was bought in freerolls. It's not easy at all, but I'm still firm and strong. I'm going to increase it even more, I don't want to zero once, so get to $100 and start in some $1 tournaments, if it happens to take too long, there are some $0.1 tournaments competing for a $1 ticket. I'm thinking about them, in 888, has anyone participated?

G0930

G0930

Captain Fathermucker, Satty Aficionado
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
AT
Chips
Generally speaking 1% is the max for MTTs, but if you are a losing player it doesn't really matter because you'll lose in the long run anyway.

Good BRM will give you a better understanding of where your overall game is at, without all the fluctuations from the buy-in differences.

Once you establish your own game, you can experiment with BRM options that maximize your return without putting your BR at risk of bust.
Good rule I aggree.
I'm curious what kind of mtts did u play when you started your 0-10k Challenge ?
I suppose only freerolls naturally but at what point did you start with regular buy ins ?

Last edited:
jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good rule I aggree.
I'm curious what kind of mtts did u play when you started your 0-10k Challenge ?
I suppose only freerolls naturally but at what point did you start with regular buy ins ?
Once I had a few bucks I started playing $1.50 SNGs and $1.10 MTTs. I still played freerolls so BRM didn't really exist until I got up to around $100. I got lucky early on and won a CC game for $25 or so, which gave me a good cushion for $1 games.

Then I just started the climb from there. :)

Also, you can check out this thread from a couple years ago that tries to detail how I got from $0 - $1,000: JBillie $0 - $1,000 COMPLETE

Last edited:
fryderyk

fryderyk

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
Max 10%. it all depends on what tournament it is and if you can win a seat in satellites for less money. But this is not a rule, because I tend to take more risks when I want to play a given tournament.

F

freerobert

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I like to have 1%-2,5% for MMT, but sometimes i play higher buy-ins and dont care about my bankroll. Ups!

V

valeski 28

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good morning.Between 0.5%-1%.Always it is nice to win the entry of any tourney by playing some satellites.

E

enzoen

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In my opinion, I like to take a little more risk if I start with a small bank.

$50 bank 50BI
$500 bank 120BI
$1000 bank 160 BI
etc.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Very important point. Often people asking these kind of bankroll questions dont have a track record. And then it makes more sense to think about a poker budget rather than how to manage a poker bankroll. Like maybe depositing $50 every month, or whatever amount people are able and willing to spend on their hobby.
Also, winning and losing players aside, consider what you're trying to achieve. If your idea of discipline is to not blow a $50 bank roll because you like winning a few cents per hour, then go ahead with the 1% rule.
I agree. If you only have some small amount like $50 sitting in the poker account, maybe it does not make sense to treat this like a bankroll and be super conservative with it. Maybe it is possible for you to deposit another $50, when you get your next paycheck, and then there is no need to be so conservative and stick to penny games, if you can have more fun and/or learn more by playing slightly higher stakes.
In my opinion, I like to take a little more risk if I start with a small bank.

$50 bank 50BI
$500 bank 120BI
$1000 bank 160 BI
etc.
Also some solid advice. For most people its not nearly as painfull to lose $50, as it is to lose $1.000, and its easier to find money to replace a small bankroll rather than a big one. You will also face tougher competition, when you move up, and with a lower winrate variance is higher. For cash games the general advice is at least 30 BIs. But I have personally played 5NL with just $80 sitting in the poker account, and in reality this is completely fine, if you are a winning player.

nerobs9

nerobs9

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
I think about 150-200 buy-ins for the limit you play

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I think it mostly depends on your level of play and the stakes you are going to play at but you should have at least 50 buy-ins at the micros and only if you are a good player!!!

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
In a tournament you can give a small percentage of your bankroll. Like when you play a tournament you shouldn't lose it from the beginning, the same happens in the long term with your bankroll. You must use it wisely.

Garik777

Garik777

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
UA
Chips
1-3% from your bankroll for any tournament,personally for me^.^

Bankroll Building - Bankroll Management