How much to raise with premium to good hands

danoscar

danoscar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Premium Hands

I take notes of what works for me and what position for each site. It's a lot of work, but it works better than any other means I have tried. As others have said,position, value, bankroll, others at the table, whose in front of you, their bankrolls, your risk factor, and aggression. All these factors leaning in your favor and you may win. There's always the lady luck. To give you an example of the luck factor for others playing against me, out of the last 28 times betting with AA, I have only won 13 times. Lots of skill with right factors coming together and then I have the luck factor which I would say still owns 50% of the rest of my chance to win. Good luck with your play. Great question!:eek:

W

wacosteel

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I wouldn't recommend more than 3bb ever, unless there were limpers.

C

chronical

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would guess it depends of the field.
Most pros have a raising 2.1-2.4 prf. The main reason being people will fold or call to wide/short for it to be proffitable + most will exploit if you raise differently.
That being sai if you see that your ops could not care less if you ares 2.2 bb or 5bb there is no point in holding back they like their hand - they call - they dont - they dont =)

A

Anar Veliyev

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
why not just call and see flop ? Especially with the short stack

R

rolfana23

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I`m New to this site, but have played tourneys for some years now. I usually raise 2,2-3x depending on where I`m seated. I don`t raise more with premium hands, but in position, of course thinking a little about who is behind. A lose caller I always 3bet

malakata19

malakata19

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Knowing how your opponents play, you can make a bet between 3 to 5 BB. I usually made 4 BB with AK AQ and 3 BB wiht AJ AT or QK, but don´t forget your position too, your stack or the stage of the MTT. Good luck in tables !!!

S

shurikataman

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Position is important. What tournament, what blinds? Can your raise a small, can be and X5 to do raise. And the aq-A10 hands are bad for early position. And medium.

J

Jamzymc

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I raise 2.28 x the big blind whether I'm strong or slightly strong. I only c bet certain flops depending on board texture and opponents range based on the position they called.

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
why not just call and see flop ? Especially with the short stack

Because this strategy will eliminate you sooner or later. When you have a short stack the ideal play for you pre flop is a flip against a single opponent. If you keep flatting and you don't hit strong the board you will fold a cbet. Statistical wise it's not a +ev play in the long term.

You should consider open raise or 3 bet shove with stacks like 10bb - 20bbs depending on opponents stack preflop aggression or the structure of the tournament[ regular/turbo/hyper speed]

leogetz79

leogetz79

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
its funny, because you will know if it was too little or too much. every time i bet too much everyone folds. or too little too many players calls and i give the chance of a guy with J2 suited calling and hitting for example three of a kind. it happened to me today LOL

Eric Salvador

Eric Salvador

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You need to start building a table image that represents a wider range for your premium hands. You should be raising with mid range hands with these bets as well. You need to mix it up. If you're telegraphing you hands like this you may as well play face up. Also you need to bet some premium hands with lower bets as well to be indifferent to your opponent.

L

Larryeaton

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
3 times the bigs is a good raise pre

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello everyone,

I find in tournaments when I have AK, AQ, AJ, A10, KQ, I usually raise more than 3x the blinds however when the flop comes, its a dud and I come up empty.

I use a continuation bet so that I am not easily giving up control of the pot however that doesn't work and I end losing 20% of my stack.

What is the proper way to play hands like those mentioned without attracting a lot of players calling that will create bad beats or risking 20% of stack in a heads up situation not knowing the flop and potentially losing more money.

Raise 3x preflop then continue on a missed flop and get raised and decide to fold?

I don't hate it. What else would you do with 30 BB behind before the hand starts?

If I was out of position then I might check call with the intent to raise on the turn depending on opponent's betsizing?

Generally I want to raise the same amount every time in that blind level, unless there is a player that calls every hand preflop OR there is a player that fold/shoves all blinds (just examples).

Good luck !

D

DeadRev

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Standard raise size is 2.5 to 3xx bb which I do but in a tournament i take into consideration my position and how deep I am in the tournament. At least I say that’s what I do.

B

bocheech21

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
think about why you are raising in the first place. you want to build the pot and hopefully gets heads up againts one other player. if the blinds are 1000,2000 then i would raise my AK up to 8 or 9000. cause they are going to call either way and your giving yourself fold equity. so often they will call this huge raise and know that they are going to fold on the flop if they dont hit there card. and you get a nice pot. this tecnique works all they damn time. just robbing chips. and if they call then just pop them again on the turn 2/3 pot. by that time you can tell if there trapping or just pissed off

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands