How many tournaments in a single day?

Syltan

Syltan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I play on time, start tables in the evening and stop registering in 2-3 hours.

Vorem

Vorem

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I mainly play cash games, but when I play tournaments I play no more than four tournaments a day

milka1605

milka1605

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You don't need to play a lot of tournaments a day, and even more so spend the whole day on the game. This is not correct. Maximum 2 tournaments and analyze your mistakes.

S

sundizzel

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is an interesting question that will vary highly depending on the individual. I think the main considerations to take into account are the variance inherent in the game, your mental state as the day progresses, and simply how much time you'd like to spend on the tables. These considerations are taken under the assumption that you are following proper bankroll management, but your bankroll could be a fourth factor if you're not managing it well.

The first point regarding variance is important for me because I am trying to build a bankroll (started at $0 in freerolls, and now it's up to approx. $300). To overcome the variance inherent in the game, you need to put in some pretty decent volume in terms of number of tournaments and hands played (or get incredibly lucky xD). Therefore, I try to register for as many within my buy-in level that I can still manage to handle. For me, I prefer to play only 4 tables at a time, but I don't mind registering for new tournaments if I bust out early or in the middle of one of the initial four. I personally don't like rebuying because I like to start on an equal footing, but I know that many better players than I rebuy all the time.

The second point concerning mental state typically applies to when you're playing several tournaments for an extended period of time. If you're tilting and it's affecting your play, it's probably not a good idea to continue registering or rebuying. Furthermore, it'd probably be a good idea to take a break, walk around, and clear the head so as not to tilt into any more mistakes in whatever tournament(s) in which you still remain.

For me and the tournaments that I am currently playing (super micros from $.27 to the occasional $4.40 and $6.60 micros/small stakes), the timing works out such that there are sort of two shifts I can choose to take--the morning shift with registrations starting from 0630 through 0830 and the evening shift with registrations starting from 1600 through 1800. My last point (how much I want to play) determines which day(s) and shift(s) I choose to play. Some days I don't play at all and will do some yardwork or auto detailing. Some days I'll play the morning shift and might go really badly, so I'm not in the mood to play in the evening. Or the same is true and it makes me want to play in the evening (not through tilt) to try to get some wins. Or I just want to play all day, then I do!

So, personally, depending on those factors, I play anywhere from 0 - 20 tournaments per day. On an average day, I'd say it's probably around 12.

blackknives

blackknives

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
used to do multiple tables at once but it got messy, guess i can't multi-task
now i have a single table running at most, while i do other things (work, netflix, etc)

P

PointedTip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends on the person and time available. Some days I cram tournaments all day (3-4 tables at a time), and others I play just a few. I'm pretty good at stopping when I need to.

abgvedr

abgvedr

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes this is what i noticed, with cash tables i can open like 8 tables and feel just fine.
But with mtts my effectiveness drops significantly with more then 2 or 3.
Now i only play 1 mtt at a time, and few cash tables.

Pokerishard

Pokerishard

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play more then 1 tournament per day and less then 4. Around 2-3 tournaments.

franken222

franken222

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi there!
Sometimes i buy-in even 6 tournament straight in a single day and loose them all in early or mid stages,
Then i know i should stop playing tournaments in that day?
How is your plan in such days? will you rebuy or will you buyin in another tournament or you will stop playing just like me?

If it's freerolls, I play as many as I can.

With buy-in tournaments, I only play one at a time. No matter what anyone says, If you're playing multiple tournaments at one time, your attention is divided by the same number that you're in. If your attention isn't divided, than you are throwing your money away on the one's that aren't getting attention, so why be in them?

S

Snake2007

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I play as many tournaments as I can and as much time as I can.

rdwr33

rdwr33

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
GENERAL, I PLAY UP TO THREE TIMES A DAY. BECAUSE I LIKE TO BALANCE MY DAILY ROUTINE AND DON'T SPEND THE ENTIRE DAY PLAYING POKER, BECAUSE BECAUSE THE EXCESS OF GAMES STRESSED SO MUCH.

el_soma77

el_soma77

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
:cool: I usually play twice a day, in the burning and at night and if I go far in a tournament then all morning, until they eliminate me ... to avoid wearing out my mind so much ...

azforlife

azforlife

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
total 30+ in 24 hours
at one time 2-3 but mostly just 1

T

TpaEnforcement

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I play about 12 tournaments a day on weekends. During the work week, I play about 2 tournaments. Only cause i need to get to sleep early. Starting Friday i play poker way more. Cause I don't have to get up early. Friday, Saturday I play as much as I can. I just wish all poker sites had phone Apps for all sites. Well good all and see you at the tables.

RickoNNN

RickoNNN

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think 6 would be nice. Many more you can stressful too:D

GRIN281289

GRIN281289

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If I lose 3 tournaments, I don’t play anymore that day. So it’s not my day, and there’s no point in playing.

P

poker hp635

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play freerolls mostly freerolls so it depends on how many good freerolls

Robbert_ro

Robbert_ro

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
How many tournaments you should play in a day is a tricky question. Depends on so many factors. Do you play just for fun? Do you expect to win money? Are you new to poker? if that's the case then you should probably play a lot of hands so registering to more tournaments its a good ideea.

Personally, when I'm really in a mood for poker and I lose early on in a tournament I usually register into another tournament right away, but if I'm tilted I just take a break. If you can't concentrate 100% on what you want to achieve it's better to take a break. You won't get anywhere if you get right away into another tournament feeling like that.

Another thing that I take into consideration is how "lucky" I feel on that particular day. We all had that day when we get hit with the right cards all the time and other days when you just can't win a hand. On those days I just say pass...but that's me. Maybe others have better suggestions.

Mortis

Mortis

The Saurus
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Depends on my mood. Sometimes I'll play 1-2, sometimes I'll play 15-20 in a day (The on-demand SnGs with roughly 30-50 people on average) if I'm feeling good and on a good run, and feel like playing for awhile at 4 tables at a time.

D

drakongad

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Обычно я играю 5 или 7

fruittree

fruittree

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
One or two. But I prefer to play one at a time!

4e kogo1

4e kogo1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker love!

I think everyone has such days when you play on your field in the form of tournaments and as nikruti you do not go into them, I in this case do rebay, and if I catch a bad mood, I just stop playing, realizing that tomorrow I will be waiting for the same clearing in which you need to give your best to the full)

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I play 2-3 freerolls a day plus 1-2 buy-ins,,, :)