How to maintain concentration for 3h+ in mtt

C

ChemfromUKR

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
UA
Chips
How to maintain concentration for more than 3 hours in mtt? for some reason 3 o'clock is my limit. I play normally for the first 3 hours, and then not so well...

yogo9

yogo9

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DZ
Chips
Change comes through repetitive small actions. Make a game out of improving your focus and concentration by giving yourself specific goals to meet and then slowly increase your goals. For example; I'm going to observe the next 3 hands without being distracted. I'll test myself at the conclusion of each hand by recalling the action by position of each player. eg Button raised, the small blind 3bet, BT called. The SB Cbet and then check-called the turn and folded river. No showdown.
If you can do that for 3 hands in a row, whether you're involved in the hand or not, you will have developed your observational and concentration skills, and you'll be alert and focused. Then shoot for 5 hands, etc.

You must manage your mind or it will manage you.

As far as advice on how to keep track, you need to pick the main factors to focus on and keep them in the same order so you develop a pattern.

-Players position and their line of action
-Board
-Bet sizes
-Specific cards / hands shown down

It takes great skill to do what you're doing - while you're doing it!

Dimidrol2

Dimidrol2

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
There is also such a thing, but try not to concentrate too much in the early game. Most likely, this is when the game does not go as it should, because if you play according to your game, then time runs unnoticed.

F

firerain

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You can look at Turbo\ Hyper MTT which can take only 5 to 6 hours. It may increase concentration over 3 hours since reaches the money and FT, sooner.

takinitSLEAZEE

takinitSLEAZEE

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
minsHow to maintain concentration for more than 3 hours in mtt? for some reason 3 o'clock is my limit. I play normally for the first 3 hours, and then not so well...
Sorry to hear about your troubles. I think I can help you make some lemonade here. If you're pretty certain you're good in 3-hour sessions, might I recommend playing sit-n-go's, if you prefer trnys to cash. Depending on whether it's a turbo, hyper, or regular blind structure they usually last only 90 mins at best. You can easily play a couple. If you multi-table, then getting in 4-8 (in my case) games per session, possibly cranking up your ROI by 400-800%. GL man. :)

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I remember that when I started I could play for more than 7-8 hours and still be 100% focused. But in the last few years, after 3 hours I'm also very tired. When I'm playing a important tournament, I try to drink coffee, wash my face on the breaks and use all the time I have to make a decision.

black and

black and

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I think it comes with time, with experience. I can play well for the first 3-5 hours, then the loss of concentration, patience and mistakes begin. But I very rarely play for more than 5 hours in a row, so this is not a particular problem for me.

ShaDoWGuarD

ShaDoWGuarD

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I also have the same problem then I play fewer tables and watch videos at the same time. This way I make fewer mistakes and play more carefully, but I wouldn't say it adds to my concentration. But in my case, I know from experience the most important thing in poker is not to make gross mistakes.

Miyagi not miyaji

Miyagi not miyaji

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
Something that helps me is taking longer breaks during a session. Sometimes is better to miss a couple of hands and relax than spewing all your stack because you're tired

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
Not to be mean but if you can't concentrate for only 3 hours you need to train your brain to filter useful thoughts from mental noise. Maybe take up some meditation practice.

W

Wega85

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
have a good night sleep. play online more for practice and stay hydrated

dangbaonguyen93

dangbaonguyen93

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VN
Chips
I only tour late at night, keep a cool head, and I even use stimulants.

Claudiunm

Claudiunm

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I really liked this topic. All suggestions were important to me. I will try to apply them as much as possible.
I think the most important thing is to find out why you lose focus after 3 hours of playing. If it's just tiredness or if there's some mental block bothering you. Make the most of your breaks and when you are in bad positions, such as UTGs, consider leaving the game and doing something else for a few minutes and then returning to the game.

spectralwave

spectralwave

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Concentration is very important for MTT players, I personally study my rivals at the table constantly so that I don't lose concentration and make the wrong decision for each player.

MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
How to maintain concentration for more than 3 hours in mtt? for some reason 3 o'clock is my limit. I play normally for the first 3 hours, and then not so well...
Music helps me. I can stay focused for 5-7 hours without much difficulty. Of course, all this depends on my psychological and physical condition, but I have already repeatedly convinced myself that music improves my endurance and concentration. I usually listen to music on my favorite YouTube channels and prefer music for rest and relaxation.

E

Ellya-ya

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
UZ
Chips
I played a 5h two-day tournament, it's very hard, but what do you think?

Stringy

Stringy

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
music, small distractions which can be paused like a light youtube video etc

recerveau

recerveau

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I believe that being well rested and fed helps a lot.

mr.fers_one

mr.fers_one

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
it's already hard to keep your concentration, five-minute breaks really help you relax and distract yourself... if it weren't for the breaks, it would be hard considering the late stage of tournaments, where mistakes can be costly.

goaldriversv

goaldriversv

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Get up, step away, drink water, workout or get some steps in, slap your face a few times