How long did it take you to manage your BR properly?

assassinkgb

assassinkgb

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I've been playing for two years live and one year online...BR management is definitely the biggest obstacle I face. I take my wins and try to jump stakes before my BR can handle it in hopes of seeing big jumps in BR in a short time (paradoxically leading to huge drops in my BR in a short time). I think most of it comes down to air-tight tracking and unwavering self-discipline (I have problems maintaining the latter :-\ ).

micalupagoo

micalupagoo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
BRM is a crucial part of a long term successful game,
that being said, after 10 years,
I still break the rules sometimes (and usually regret it)

if you dont want to be a repeat depositor or rely on freerolls, learn BRM:)

timfbmx

timfbmx

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well from the start I knew BRM was a very important part of poker. If you don't impliment it into your game, you won't succeed. So I learned very early on that I needed to manage my poker money very carefully if I really want to take this stuff seriously. It is probably the #1 most important thing in my opinion is BRM.

T

thatgreekdude

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It took me a good few months to truly grasp it but even now I occasionally play a game above my limitations which is fine, you just need to know when to quit.

vinylspiros

vinylspiros

PIRANHA-------->< (((º>
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
still havent managed to manage my BR correctly. It seems as though the more i have the greedier i get.

E

exostenz

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I FAIL

I start out disciplined and then it all goes wrong. Sometimes i manage to go several weeks of good bankroll management but then it all gets messed up for me as in a tourney that I am doing well on sees my AA get busted by some ridiculous hand and conveniently at the same time another tourney on a totally different site goes the same way it gets me mental its as though its happening by design.. even though i know it is not the case

E

exostenz

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I FAIL

:( I start out disciplined and then it all goes wrong. Sometimes i manage to go several weeks of good bankroll management but then it all gets messed up for me as in a tourney that I am doing well on sees my AA get busted by some ridiculous hand and conveniently at the same time another tourney on a totally different site goes the same way it gets me mental its as though its happening by design.. even though i know it is not the case

Sil3ntness

Sil3ntness

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm probably terrible with BRM. This is tournament section, but I play mainly cash now. I jump from 4 NL to 10 NL to 25 NL all the way up to 100 NL.

I could lose a whole buyin at 100 NL and be fine, but it wouldn't be a smart thing for me to do. I was tempted to play 200 NL, but I slapped some sense into my head. (This is full ring BTW) I couldn't dare enter a 200/400 NL or 300/600 NL 6 max table. The regs would immediately realize I'm new prey to the table.

n3rv

n3rv

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Took 2 or 3 months and 2 or 3 big hits. Still not perfect of course - overly conservative at the moment.

R

Riceman1681

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hmmm...well I think its not so important so long as you have some disposable income if you go busto. For a pro of course, and for amateurs who do not have a refillable source for their roll it is the number 1 consideration if you want to keep on playing. So far I am a big $ loser in this game, although in the 180 games I play as a reg I am marginally profitable. Where I have lost the most $ is a) in the year I started out and b) in MTT buyins, where I am yet to score big. But as I have a job when one roll runs out I just refill it from my own pocket. I think of playing outstide of my roll as a kind of cheat...in that I am trying to take a shortcut by binking an MTT I can't really afford in BR terms. So...if you can never afford to go busto its a hugely important factor, but if you can afford to now and then its one possible path to quick success...or to the bank to request an overdraft extension.

I am sure there must be huge degens who the minute they get $1000 in their roll they play five $200 MTTs...obviously this is never going to end well. With a $1000 roll a normal day for me would be 20 or so $8 180 turbos with a sprinkling of $15 180s finishing off with a big $11 and a $27 KO MTT. If I had a very good day and made $1200 I might treat myself to a Big $55. And even this schedule is well outside good BR limits.

But I know it will come round in the end...that big MTT score will only elude me for so much longer. :cool:

Last edited:
JohnCPoker17

JohnCPoker17

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
On every hit I make, I try to take time to develop my a game a slight bit more before moving up. Lately I haven't been playing the best, and of course BRM has a large bit to do with that. I feel I can play with $50-100 in my account and be profitable in $10BI (refilling when I lose), but from a psychological viewpoint I feel the $100 is too small, so I always end up losing it. Again, I feel my brain cares less about the game if it's any less than that BI. I need to deposit enough roll in order to reinforce my speedy habits

R

Riceman1681

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
On every hit I make, I try to take time to develop my a game a slight bit more before moving up. Lately I haven't been playing the best, and of course BRM has a large bit to do with that. I feel I can play with $50-100 in my account and be profitable in $10BI (refilling when I lose), but from a psychological viewpoint I feel the $100 is too small, so I always end up losing it. Again, I feel my brain cares less about the game if it's any less than that BI. I need to deposit enough roll in order to reinforce my speedy habits

I hear you. Another reason I lost soooo much in the first year of playing was because I started out with the $8 180 stars turbos. It is only after playing these for a couple of years that I began to realise that some household names in poker are total regs in these games, esp. the $15 180 turbos. About the first thing my coach said to me was "do you realise these are some of the toughest games online? Period".

Well, I cannot say I paid too much heed. Only a few hours with the guy turned me from a reg loser to a reg winner in these games, and I knew if I learned to beat these I would be well conditioned for the MTTs I play, and which are my first love in poker. And also as JohnC points out, I have to play a stake that maintains my interest in the game. I dropped to the $2.50 180 turbos for a while and my win rate went through the floor. All that work and thought and rungood and I win $125? Forget it. Not interested. I kept trying to tell myself that if I could take a single game's winnings from a $2.50 after playing 25 a day, this was so much better than breaking even in the $8 games. But they simply could not maintain my interest. Which is quite possibly pretty stupid thinking. As they say..."10% of something is better than 100% of nothing". Hmmm...maybe I'll take another look at those $2.50s!!!

milka1605

milka1605

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've never been a loser. I play only freerolls and tournaments very rarely with micro Bain. Is why any BR does not bother me. The money , I spend on poker is not. Let the , I win a little, but are always in ++++.