How long is a Poker tournament generally?

Emily Trott

Emily Trott

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I guess that depends upon the tournament. My longest one was live and began at 1pm. I was knocked out in fifth place at 10:30pm so that was 9 1/2 hours. I don't think that I've ever played one online, even a second place, that went more than about five or six hours.

Tech101205

Tech101205

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How long a poker tourney lasts depends on player field , blind structure , starting chipstack , game setting whether it's online or offline

Generally
Online ones gets completed fastly compared to live ones

How fastly online ones gets completed also depends upon type of tourney u chose to entered with

Basically turbo ones gets completed with 3-4 hours and hyper turbo ones within 1-2 hours

Freezeout ones take more time anywhere around 8-12 hours depending on field and blind structure .

Live ones could take day or days depending mostly on players entered

Major tourneys like wsop would take atleast 2 weeks to get completed because of more people

Like2Play2

Like2Play2

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
It the blinds are changing every 10 minutes, with around 250 players, expect at least 4 hours + to make the final table.

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Tournaments with a large number of participants and a comfortable grow of blinds take a lot of time. I remember sitting at the poker table for 6-7 hours to win at least a few cents. Not to mention the time at the final table. If you take part in tournaments with a long late registration, then this structure will test your endurance.

Flower2211

Flower2211

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think on average a regular tournament lasts 4 hours

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
Tournaments for 180 people are a very popular format. Hyper-turbo tournaments for $1, where they give out 500 chips and raise the blinds every two minutes, can be played in 1 hour.Turbo tournaments for 90 players, stack/blinds 1500/5, also last on average 1.5 hours, and tournaments for 90 players with long blinds of 15 minutes last up to 4 hours.Turbo Tournaments for 45 people, stack/blinds 1500/5, last about 1.5 hours, and with blinds changing every 10 minutes - about 2.5 hours.If you are a girl, or your friend plays poker, then I recommend the Women's series tournaments (not for you, for your friend, of course). Few people play them, so they last relatively short time.

thedarkman

thedarkman

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
How long is a piece of string? It depends on manyfactors. Live tournaments take longer because it takes longer to deal manually.

Leandro6803

Leandro6803

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I usually play micro buy-in and freeroll so it's about 3 to 5 hours.

but I already played a 9 and a half hour tournament and it was very tiring for me, I wasn't used to playing all that time, so I started making a lot of mistakes.

My advice is to play within your limit and gradually increase it little by little.

kaynbergo

kaynbergo

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
the longest tournament I played in lasted 9 hours, the tournament had only 10 prize money out of 2,000 players, all 10 prize money was the same, 11 to 10 people played for an hour

PsychoVas

PsychoVas

What The Duck???
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
There are two factors for the lenght of a tourney. The most important one is the type of blind stucture. Hypers are generally never longer than two hours, slow ones can be longer than ten
The other factor is the field of participants.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As others have said, it depends on the blind structure and number of participants. For online games I would say, that most fall within this spectrum:

* Hyperturbo SnG < 30 min
* Turbo SnG 30-60 min
* Regular SnG 60-90 min
* Hyperturbo MTT 90-150 min
* Turbo MTT 150-240 min
* Regular MTT > 240 min

As for regular MTTs it is rather important to have an idea about, how long each tournament lasts, so that you are sure, you have time to complete it. If the field is large (1.000+), if blinds go up more rarely than every 10 minutes, if there are more than 2 hours of late registration, or if the tournament has a designation like "deep" or "slow", then you should typically expect to be playing for up to 6 hours or more. Which definitely require some planning and thinking ahead.