how to know that opponent has a three of a kind

David macdonald

David macdonald

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is impossible to know, 3 of a kind is one of the most dangerous hands to walk in to but if you get beat by it just accept it and move on, I call this the invisible hand. In tournament play I build on my stack to make the money, I'm a bit of a grinder, I get my chips In when I'm good or when I have the nuts. I have ten years experience though I could write a book

S

slackergenes

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Many of the players have given good advice, in poker you never know entirely..I would say the more you play and get put into these situations the more you learn..Also the biggest advantage is getting to know the player...there is so much variance it hard to have a for sure strategy but you can start to pick up gut instincts and play patterns the longer you sit at a table with a player...the hands you fold out if they go to the river watch and take mental notes of how the other players are playing on the table...come up with a classification system and start labeling each say all 9 and adjusting as you go on... examples. Fish, Bingo Player, Conservative, always betting to see flop....loose player, tight player...folds a lot of hands, bets large and 9i times out of 10 usually means they have high pocket pair, ect...
Best of luck on the tables

gardin555

gardin555

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Is because of that fear to the possible set of our opponent, that we go all in with monsters preflop sometimes, when there are many players at the table,
When one or two opponents remain in the hand, then we can play good cards more quiet since the chances of a set are smaller.
The good reading of our opponents, can alert us of a possible set, but it is difficult almost impossible to know when they play that monster slow playing..

Last edited:
T

titiduru

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the three of a kind where the opponent has a pocket pair and makes 3of a kind on the board makes me very difficult to read and has also got me played out of many tournament because of it. Can you suggest some techniques or hints that would indicate this or some points I should remember to avoid mistakes

Keep playing, achieve mastery of the game, and then, maybe, you will be able to get out of some situations like that. There is no cookie cutter formula. Even pros bust out of tournaments the same way. If you have an over pair, or top pair, top kicker and you don't put your money in, when are going to do it, only when you make trips yourself or better? That way you are guaranteed not to win any tournaments. No one can win every time, but if you lose to disguised trips it means you didn't make any major mistake, so even though you lost that time your play should be profitable overall.

jimmy andres

jimmy andres

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi, this is what I do when I've linked a trio: first I go up 2 big blinds, if one or more players call it or raise it again, I end up calling them to raise more chips when seeing the turn, if none goes up I go up Minimum bet expecting them uban more to be able to raise it but now all in to be able to win a good pot of chips.

malakata19

malakata19

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Is one of the most difficult hand to read in any player. But remember is tree of a king of any cards no only when we have a dry flop. With a dry flop you can imagine a big reaise like a bluff too, for me the way is, keep big pairs with possible tree of a king with a decent bet if you have an overbet is time to take your time for the next move.

crimsonblur

crimsonblur

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You never can know what your opponent can have, try to understand how they bet when they have a very good hand. If they are likely to paly a monster aggressively then fold when they represent a monster.

At lower levels most people will slow play their set and it can often end up paying off big or making their stack take a huge hit. So if you can sniff a monster where they trail you along with weak bets and then bet pot on the river I think it is usually a good play to fold in a situation like this.

smerald

smerald

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is a tough situation to be in and one I personally struggle with as I think from this thread, a lot of people do.

Taking a step back tho and seeing if his betting patterns may indicate a set is a good way to start. The betting pattern of a set is just so tough to identify cause it varies but as sarniak said the board tixture is very important in doing so. And of course try not to commit yourself to the hand with just top pair so you have the opportunity to fold in case you feel you are beat.

F

feecg

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
One thing that is crucial to determine not only the set of trips, but almost any read on the opponent, is the board texture. So let em give you an example, if preflop didnt have much action, and then the flop came like T85 rainbow, and then the villain check raises you if OOP, then you can put him in 2 kinds of hands, mostly: Higher pair than the board (Jacks, Queens, Kings or Aces), or trips, after that you'll need to use some information you get from him as the game went on. So just be aware for the obvious tells the vilain usually gives on bet sizing and moves.

Sevendeuceoff72

Sevendeuceoff72

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you figure out how to tell, please let me know lol

cwatt3131

cwatt3131

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes I would also like to know if you figure it out. Do players from higher stakes play sets differently than players from lower stakes?

B

Bagdalac4ever

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You can't know that. It is a risk. If you want to win you need to take chances but remember that you can't win every time. For example, from my own experience, I had 88 and on flop I got the third 8. I went all in and one guy followed. He had AA and got another A on river. He had stronger three of a kind. I could't know that. :D

T

Trey Cole

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Its hard to find that out. Patience and pratice

T

Trey Cole

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
You will always lise like thay occasionally just ve sure and play solid poker all the time

L

labaraha

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
to find out who has 3 of a kind? easy. bet 600. if he pays he got it. fold. if he keeps doing it again hes bluffing go all in take his chips. neverbet without an ACE not suited. suited hi pairs all da way deep bruh. 5'5s never fail. 3s too.

gocho2009

gocho2009

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You make the continuation bet ... if they are raised on the flop, turn or river to your continuation bet, they make you 2 bet 80% of the cases already linked the set, so you have to fold

Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is tough but if they called before the flop it is consistent with a small pair and then if they make trips on the flop a lot of times they will check to induce a bet if there are no straight or flush draws are out there. Then they will bet the turn and or river.

L

labaraha

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
amanda u know ur stuff there. turn on

P

PKRNRS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the three of a kind where the opponent has a pocket pair and makes 3of a kind on the board makes me very difficult to read and has also got me played out of many tournament because of it. Can you suggest some techniques or hints that would indicate this or some points I should remember to avoid mistakes

win he wins the hand...

darthdimsky

darthdimsky

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's very difficult to see it , especially if you have top pair top kicker or better (let's say 2 pair , the second card on the river !! as I remember a cash hand ) and the board is not wet to be afraid of other things , it's difficult to abandon your hand and save some chips .

I watch nowadays many replays and videos with the cards up to learn more about difficult situations like this . I think , for now , the key is to read the flop and the opponent via his previous preflop moves , and try pot control , especially in position , not to bet all streets if you think he's slow plays etc

Completely agree. This is the reason I play super tight in MTTs. If I have top pair top kicker (second best even) I'm able to read the hand better relative to my opponent's playing style and flop texture. For e.g.

• A Nit (20 or less VPIP) on a relatively wet board texture (flush / straight draw) with almost always 3b in position on the flop to get you out of str8/flush draws and 2nd barrel a 3/4th pot bet.
  • Conversely a bad LAG or maniac could all of a sudden stop betting, while in position, and let you lead. This could indicate a 2 pair or better.
What's even worse is if the player is OOP, donk bets and hits the trips on subsequent streets. Looking at his bet sizing helps a lot. If he switches from a half pot to 3/4th or full pot you'll have a good idea he has 2 pair or better.

Masi2197

Masi2197

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If your opponent has a pair of hands and in the community gets a trio you must observe their movements of resubida or equal a large amount of bet, although it is difficult to detect this trio or abandon that hand if you have an AA or two large pairs