How to keep the chip lead?

JAMILE1

JAMILE1

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
OK gang this is really bothering me, last week I played in 3 freerolls at UB and after the first 2 hours I am in chip lead holding about 105.000 chips avg. in the 3 tourneys ok so now what? how do I maintain the lead or at least not bust out which of course I did. what are your guys strategies or playing mindset with the chip lead? I've tried being aggressive, I've tried playing passive and wait for what I think is best hand only to get busted by shittier hands or out drawn even with the best hand. please throw some knowledge my way on your way of holding the chip lead I am just going bonkers trying to figure this one out I have won or placed in these tourneys before but lately it just ain't falling for me HELP ME if this doesn't make sense to you thats cool but if you can understand what I am saying please post a reply and this is for both freerolls and real money tourneys.

thank you

May ur cards be SUPA

and ur pot be STONEY................:canabis: :canabis: :canabis:

R

royalflush525

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
theres nothing i can tell u except just keep sitting there, i mean it does'nt matter if u hav pocket aces, if ur going to win u'll win and if not u won't. love, live, laugh and play poker

C

chicubs1616

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I tend to use my big stack to bully other players...this doesnt mean every time you raise when you are in a pot...but I tend to steal more blinds, etc.

You want to stay away from major confrontations with other larger stacks, concentrate on attacking the little stacks and put the pressure on.

S

sscrazy

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
just dont get stupid with your bets, because remember their are shortstackers on tilt, that will go all in with k4.

joshyb20

joshyb20

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is sometimes more difficult to play as the chip leader. I prefer coming up from about the middle of the order and working my way up. I just feel that is where my game is the strongest, if that makes sense. I agree with chicub, stay away from the larger stacks, and don't get greedy. Remember, its a marathon, not a sprint. It doesn't matter where you are now if you don't finish on top. Good luck, and hope you figure it out. The more opportunities you play with that large of a stack, the more you experience you will have with it, and you will feel more confident with it.

XXIII

XXIII

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No real proven way to keep a chip lead. Usually at UB I have the chip lead at some point. But a dumb call here or there (mostly to knock someone out I usually lose it).

I play my normal game but look at the stacks I am up against. If most fold after your bet and you got one person in play them and the stack they hold. They might have a pair of jacks but is it worth a 5000 bet to see if they hold up?

Just play them like you been playing. But bet a little more. But make sure you have the cards.

Now lets dance :marchmell

bubbasbestbabe

bubbasbestbabe

Suckout Queen
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
After 2 hours at UB you're topdog its time to rethink what got you there. If you have been at the same table for a while the other players have probably picked up on some of your betting tells. Its time to mix it up and throw some curves in. Try playing a little tight aggressive. Show some hands be they bluff hands or killer winners then play opposite. Or if all else fails and you want to get to the final table, sit out and watch what's going on, and jump back in when you have a better handle on the table. Good luck and hope to see you at one of the finals! :)

MicheleW

MicheleW

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wow, if all else fails and you want to get to the final table - sit out???? that's really going to get you in the good graces of the other players. No one likes a sitter, especially one with lots of chips! Play the game, don't whimp out and sit out. Geesh!

Please don't be a sitter!!! It's unbecoming. LOL

It doesn't matter if you are chip leader or not, what matters is if you are chip leader in the end. Many a player has come back from a short stack to win. Being chip leader only gives you an edge in betting against the other shorter stacks, but doesn't guarantee that you will win.

Just play your game, if you start putting so much attention on staying chip leader, you will miss something in the game and end up the chip loser.

bubbasbestbabe

bubbasbestbabe

Suckout Queen
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sorry Michelle but maybe you overread what I posted. I said sit out, watch what's going on, (cause he's unable to get a good grasp of the table play), then reenter when you have a better handle on the table play.

titans4ever

titans4ever

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When you have the chip lead you need to...
1) identify the weaker players on the table and pick on those and not just short stacks. You find the player that does not call big bets or will fold a hand on a reraise and take advantage of him by doing just those things and take the money.
2) Don't feel obligate to have to nock out the shortstacks. It only takes one or two "why not I can afford it" calls to drop you down into the middle of the pack again.
3) I tend to tighten up my starting hands alittle because people will always try and double up against the big stacks. I become tight and very aggressive when in a hand and once established that way will try and steal once in a while.