How is the field different in high buy-in MTT tournaments vs micro-low buy-in MTT's?

Q

qbblsw

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I won a (online) $55 ticket playing a micro (<$1) MTT and was wondering how different I should anticipate the field to be. I assume there will be less people early on punting their stack all in with garbage hands. Any of y'all have any good advice for me? Thanks in advance.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pretty different I would say. You will find way less recreational players AKA "fish", and the regulars will be more balanced. In microstakes a lot of regulars play a robotic style, where they always have it, when they make big bets or raises. But in a 55$ MTT you will see more bluffing, and therefore you cant always overfold, as you can in many microstakes games. Most likely at some point, when your stack is down to 20-30BB, a big stack will put you to the test for your tournament life, and depending on the situation you should give serious consideration to calling, if you beat a bluff. As a disclaimer I have not played that many 55$ MTTs, but the differences are apparent already in 22$ games, which I have played a bit more.

willjosp

willjosp

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Between the micro tournaments and the big tournaments there is a lot of difference between the players they are stronger they had not played with more cards less ago bluff The most I can win are $300 tournaments bote:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I won a (online) $55 ticket playing a micro (<$1) MTT and was wondering how different I should anticipate the field to be. I assume there will be less people early on punting their stack all in with garbage hands. Any of y'all have any good advice for me? Thanks in advance.
Don't be daunted when playing it or over think how different the field might be.

There are recreational and amateur entrants at all stakes. Granted, the higher the buy-in the fewer there might be, but they are always still there.

Even the W.S.O.P. main event has these players, every year.

Whether they have won entry via satellite, are just a recreational player wealthy enough to play at much higher levels than most or some other route - they're always scattered around.

The critical thing is to play your game and just be as focused and observant of your opponents as you can.

Bear in mind you won your way there, you have earned your seat at the table with a great result, so just do the same thing again but even better this time! :D

The best way to improve at any game is to play against as skilled opponents as possible... ;)

Go take your deserved shot, we're cheering for you! ❤️

Q

qbblsw

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't be daunted when playing it or over think how different the field might be.

There are recreational and amateur entrants at all stakes. Granted, the higher the buy-in the fewer there might be, but they are always still there.

Whether they have won entry via satellite, are just a recreational player wealthy enough to play at much higher levels than most or some other route - they're always scattered around.

The critical thing is to play your game and just be as focused and observant of your opponents as you can.

Bear in mind you won your way there, you have earned your seat at the table with a great result, so just do the same thing again but even better this time! :D

The best way to improve at any game is to play against as skilled opponents as possible... ;)

Haha I think you're flattering me a bit. I think overall I'm still definitely a losing player overall (at least in cash games, I think in tournaments I am overall slightly positive but the sample size is pretty small so IDK). At this point playing a bit of poker is more of a part of my entertainment budget than something I am doing with the explicit intent of making heaps of cash.

Of course, I'm still gonna do my best to win (esp. since even just getting in the money would be close to a month's salary not bad for a total of $1.50 for 2x buy-in and an add-on). Hopefully I'll run hot enough to make up for leaks I probably have ^^.

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Haha I think you're flattering me a bit. I think overall I'm still definitely a losing player overall (at least in cash games, I think in tournaments I am overall slightly positive but the sample size is pretty small so IDK). At this point playing a bit of poker is more of a part of my entertainment budget than something I am doing with the explicit intent of making heaps of cash.

Of course, I'm still gonna do my best to win (esp. since even just getting in the money would be close to a month's salary not bad for a total of $1.50 for 2x buy-in and an add-on). Hopefully I'll run hot enough to make up for leaks I probably have ^^.
Is it for a specific tournament or an open-ended ticket you can use up until it expires..?

Q

qbblsw

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Specific tournament, 55 Triple Threat on 888poker.

Q

qbblsw

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
For those wanting an update, I punted a bit and got eliminated somewhat early. I entered an won another 1$ MTT though by some miracle, still making me +30$ for the day :p.

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Specific tournament, 55 Triple Threat on 888poker.
Aha, was asking as interested if you had much/any time to prepare a little, it seems not however - UL! ❤️

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips

There is a lot of great advice on this thread and i know the event has already been play but this post is really the best I have seen in many ways. Well said Tracid.
Getting a chance to play is whats its about. We cant expect to win but we should enjoy the ride and experience. I meet Jonathan Little about and hour before my 1st wsop event and asked if he had some advice. He said "enjoy the show". Enjoy the experience and take it all in. This is you time and adventure. Get great memory and enjoy the show. solid advise and I did enjoy the show.

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
In my experience you usually do better in games when you're enjoying playing, rather than when you are tired, moody or anything negative..

So it's probably better advice than it might initially appear, haha, definitely the best advice you can give in under one minute! :giggle: