How do you start playing knowing the bubble is getting ready to come

P

PerformLAB

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I will play my Top Tier hands very very aggressively, but I seem to be Fold Fold and Fold other than that.

It is one of the aspects of my game on which I need to start working on.

R

revskip

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am probably a little too tight near the money. If I have a gaudy stack I will make moves to steal but otherwise play just a little tighter than usual.

B

brokenlung911

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
play only good hands until bubble is over then play on

J

jj20002

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it depends on the buyin basically, also stacks and so on,

therefore if it is a low buyin (regarding one´s bankroll) be a little looser looking for spots to rob some blinds and try to risk a lot and increase the stack to be in a position for a deep run and the final table, no fear about being busted because one can play them several times and the goal must be win and not just get paid

but if the buyin is too expensive then one could be tighter trying to catch one of the last paid places unless one is dealt some monster hands or strong hands in a passive table then could loose a bit and risk (here are the worst moments to receive a bad beat), this situation happens usually when one qualifies to the tourney through a satty and getting paid at least will bust the bankroll

then of course exists a lot of variables like stacks, for instance if one is the chip leader of the table or at least has a big stack then one could challenge quite often the lower stacks and put pressure on them and so on

B

Boyle mrunson

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I tend to play the opposite of my table. As the bubble approaches, I'll be aggressive while everyone else folds 99% of their hands. Then when the bubble bursts, I'll tighten up while everyone else starts throwing chips around...

J

joe777

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I will only start the aggression pass the bubble if iam shorstacked but will be super aggressive if i am the biggest stack.

X

Xiao

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
If I'm one of the shorter stacks I'm probably in a position to all-in or fold (mostly the latter) while frequently checking the standings to see when the bubble popped or not. Only been playing in micro tourneys and freerolls so not sure how accurate this is for being short-stacked in other tournaments. If I'm one of the bigger stacks then there is definitely some leeway to steal the blinds of the shorter stacks since they just wanna make the money.

Katyushka4

Katyushka4

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
How do you play when the bubble is getting closer and closer? Also when the bubble is passed how do you continue to play?:thrasher: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party:
If I have a big stack - I'm aggressive and steal blinds. Forcing opponents to drop on a dangerous flop.
If I have an average stack - I do not venture, and play quietly and tight.
If a small stack and each blind frightens me - I'm the most tight. I do not spend any one chips in vain. Sometimes I fold JJ. If I see that blind ate the whole stack of my neighbor.

REALITYPOKER

REALITYPOKER

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Build chips here and there thru the early stages of the tourney, so that when the bubble comes you have accumulated enough chips to put pressure on the players that have tightened up to just min cash. I am here for the win!!! Not the min cash. But if bad things happen and you take a rough beat that leaves you short stacked you have to evaluate every move and get the chips in good.

taban13

taban13

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
During the bubble, if enough skill chips try not to risk it. After he busted play more agresive.

madsquirrel

madsquirrel

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
All good strategies at getting through the bubble. I just hate the hrs you spend sometimes just to hit at the bubble or before it.. that is the worst

Sippy

Sippy

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Made it past the bubble twice this week. Usually play slows and players take all their time to play. Lets other tables lose players, if you are near the bubble.

theRaven68

theRaven68

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Near the bubble if my stack is in a good shape ll try to calm down and to avoid an unappropriate situation, but if i am short stacked i ll wait for a hand to push allin

B

bluejay2220

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pretty much just fold and wait for the bubble to pass, unless of course I have a good hand. However if Im at a table full of folders I will play and scoop up blinds..why not?

sergios

sergios

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
according! if I'm armed with chips! I am tenas in plays! and if I'm short, I speculate! Bubble is played according to the amount of chips and the circumstances.

LuckyBundy13

LuckyBundy13

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You haven't played real poker if you haven't bubbled yourself a few times.

I'd rather bust on the bubble trying to accumulate chips then bust out on or right after the bubble because my stack has dwindled.

That's just me though. Do you.

romych007

romych007

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I play very aggressively to steal the blinds, after the bubble I play tight and win back the blinds loose game

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If I have:
-Really large stack: raise a lot and pick-up blinds/antes from players just trying to get by the bubble. Otherwise, just sit back and let small stacks bust each other.

-Average stack: steal blinds often, put pressure on similar stack sizes that at playing passively, try to avoid big stacks unless I have a monster of a hand.

-Short stack: steal blinds, shove a lot against other short-mid stacks, put pressure on them.

-Severe short stack: Just shove.

I dont mind busting on the bubble if Im around average-short stack. I'd rather try and get as large of a stack as I can when it's near the bubble and have something to play with after it busts. Having a bigger stack makes its much easier to finish further in a tournament than having a severe short stack and you just min cash.

DonV73

DonV73

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I start bullying the smaller stacks (smaller than myself) and I leave the bigger ones alone :p

Aces2w1n

Aces2w1n

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Short stack... nothing beats the rush of being on the brink of losing but staying alive haha.

Constantly counting your chips, eyeing out everyone elses. Sometimes I actually make the play just because theres a lot of chips in the middle, so if I lose which u could easily do anyway and have a decent risk with high reward or win and get deep into a tourney.

Medium stack you can start bullying your short stackers but still gotta be watchful of the big stackers. Pick ur spots carefully still..

Big stack gotta just punish everyone elses mistakes or aim to get as many no showdowns as possible and keep accumulating without doubling up anyone else.

78mariusz

78mariusz

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
aggressive in bubble time, and tight after the bubble

R

RamdeeBen

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Oh man. The bubble turns me into a fold fold fold fold fold fold fold player. I can't stand putting time into a tournament and then going out on the bubble.

I really suggest you don't play MTT's because they won't be profitable for you with this mentality. Most of the comments I've read in this thread are the very reason MTT's are probably the most profitable NL game out there.

OP: I either increase my stack massively or become the bubble boy. After bubble has burst, tighten up a little.

romych007

romych007

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I try to accumulate a large enough stack, as many players in front of the bubble will steal the blinds with questionable hands preflop

madsquirrel

madsquirrel

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like the way this is put my friend I will have to try this out...

If I have:
-Really large stack: raise a lot and pick-up blinds/antes from players just trying to get by the bubble. Otherwise, just sit back and let small stacks bust each other.

-Average stack: steal blinds often, put pressure on similar stack sizes that at playing passively, try to avoid big stacks unless I have a monster of a hand.

-Short stack: steal blinds, shove a lot against other short-mid stacks, put pressure on them.

-Severe short stack: Just shove.

I dont mind busting on the bubble if Im around average-short stack. I'd rather try and get as large of a stack as I can when it's near the bubble and have something to play with after it busts. Having a bigger stack makes its much easier to finish further in a tournament than having a severe short stack and you just min cash.