how do you react against variance ?

anasslaaleg

anasslaaleg

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In poker, the battle between the player and variance is a constant struggle. Variance is the element of luck and randomness that can lead to short-term swings in your results, both good and bad. A skilled player can make all the right decisions, but the cards dealt and the way they fall can still cause fluctuations in their bankroll.

This dynamic is what makes poker challenging both and intriguing. Over the long run, skill prevails, and good decisions are rewarded. However, in the short term, even the best players can face periods of bad luck. Understanding this and managing your emotions during downswings is a crucial part of being a successful poker player.

Ultimately, the player who can navigate the turbulent waters of variance while consistently making sound decisions is the one who emerges victorious in the game of poker.

jonaselloco

jonaselloco

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Hello brother

Look, I will answer you from my personal experience.

When I started on the path to becoming a regular poker player, I initially had to choose which mode to play, whether cash or tournaments.

I started studying with 2 coaches and playing cash. Today in cash I play low levels of NL5, but I found in this modality mainly that the players' decision making depended much more on losing a box or $5 in this case, than on working to obtain an ITM or a good place in a tournament.

What I want to tell you with this, that you can have AA and if your opponent because he has extra money has 33 he will pay you, and although the statistics are in favor of AA 5 to 1, it can happen to you that you have as I have I went all-in 3 times in a row with AA and they beat me in different games at the showdown and beat me.

Maybe in the long term the one who plays well with AA will surely end up winning, but in the short term these situations honestly cause you some discomfort. The famous downswing is experienced by all poker players.

In my case, I think that although I have a lot more to improve in my game, I feel like a good tournament player, the variance really works in my favor when playing tournaments.

My priority is to enter the ITM. certainly the ITM is what allows you to fight against variance.

For example, just yesterday, in a tournament where they entered the prize pool in 79th place and the second prize was 54th place, I held on almost in last place until 54th place, earning at that time 3 times what I had invested in the tournament. , until the goddess of fortune or good play meant that he could have reached the final table, taking 2nd place with a prize of 80 times what he had invested in the tournament.

With this I want to tell you that in my case at least, the variance is much more positive in tournaments than in cash.

Besides the difference in the game. For example, I have played more than 300,000 cash hands at least. The day ends and even though I won 50 dollars like what happened to me, I really didn't feel happy because in truth no one can take away the happiness of having a good achievement in a tournament.

What I want to tell you is that in my case at least, playing cash doesn't make me want to play the next day. On the other hand, playing tournaments, even though I may have badbeats or coolers or other situations in the game that can work against me, the next day it makes me want to have revenge.

With this I don't want to tell you that you shouldn't play cash to avoid negative variance, that's not the case. I deeply admire very good cash game players, because I have the concept of many of them. I think that when a cash player adapts to playing tournaments, he adapts much better than a tournament player adapts to playing cash.
That's why great tournament players like Doyle Brunson, Sam Farha, and many more were first great cash players.
The great Doyle won 2 bracelets with the famous 10 2s hand. Let's be honest, not even the best solver in the world would tell you about playing that hand, and he not only played it but he won two tournaments, and he was one of the players who lived off of poker his entire life.

But at least for me, the way to try to improve the variance positively is to dedicate myself exclusively to playing tournaments, but I never cease to be grateful for the teaching I had playing cash.

Greetings:):):)

R

Rmi

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
If you make the right moves you shouldn't have problems with variance. That's the important thing!!!

Gritz18

Gritz18

To Cesar, what belongs to Cesar.
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
In poker, the battle between the player and variance is a constant struggle.
I believe that for you not to be too affected by the variance it will depend a lot on your game volume.

I can speak for myself that I have a low game volume, and no matter how correctly I play, the variance will affect me.

LaNimmer

LaNimmer

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Because I'm not playing a million hands a year for years, all this BS about how in the long view it will be OK does not apply to me. I just play for the thrill, good and sometimes bad. To be honest, mostly bad! Pros and really good players probably love to sit next to me. Maybe I'm a famous fish? LOL!

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Variance, is something we see in poker and we can deal with it by being concentrated in the game and studying it. Of course gathering experience is valuable to face the situations easier.

slysilvosilvo

slysilvosilvo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
SK
Chips
what does it mean ?
"changing styles" ???
if yes, then my answer is : It is necesary to change the style ! when longer with same players

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
You raised a painful issue for many players, including me!!! Basically, if something doesn’t work out, I try to play less or play cheaper tournaments!!! I realized a long time ago that the desire to win back quickly leads to a zero bankroll!!!

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
что это значит ?
"смена стилей"???
если да, то мой ответ: надо стиль менять! когда дольше с теми же игроками
a change of style is another variance is the amount of deviation of the game's result from mathematical expectation, the mathematical expectation in this case will be the average long-distance poker player's win just need to play harder at distances you will make a profit despite the variance, sometimes it happens that it's not your day to play another day and the whole change of style is playing against your opponent in different ways is different

anasslaaleg

anasslaaleg

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
poker player's bankroll is their financial cushion or the amount of money set aside specifically for playing poker. It serves as a tool for managing the ups and downs of the game. Proper bankroll management is essential to ensure a player doesn't risk more than they can afford to lose.

Kinalha

Kinalha

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
The first thing to clarify (especially after seeing several similar topics here on the forum) is: know if you are going through a period of variability, or are simply playing poorly. I've seen cases here on the forum, of people who play 5 or 6 tournaments a day, and think they fit into factors such as variance. So, first understand your situation, and if the variance situation is obvious, it is necessary to have patience and resilience, because once you beat the field, the results are a consequence.