How do you play first phase of tournament?

romych007

romych007

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In the early stages you need to play a lot of post-flop play, and well isolate preflop. We need to be aggressive in order to collect the most chips. Since there will be many fish-players, do not expect strong hands, because the top pair with top kicker on the flop will not guarantee a win, so it's worth to play a lot of hands.

Fenix7

Fenix7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
On First Phase I try to play loose and I bet in the flop if I have connected top pair with good kicker or better hand. After I play tight or depending on the type of Players on the table.

M

MASURON2KE

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In early stage you should try to play more hand and make more limps dont raise 5bb or more pre flop :)

milka1605

milka1605

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I also play in the beginning very carefully. When the fish is still smaller, it is easier to play.

DionisiyUa

DionisiyUa

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I try play with monster-hand , other i folding

O

oldsilver

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
a good tournament player needs to be adept at more than one style of play in early stages, but in a nutshell:

• If the table is playing loose, tighten up.
  • If the table is playing tight, widen your opening range.

Either approach should be followed by a post-flop strategy that's consistent with the available fold equity:

1. against tight, weak, fit/fold opponents where there is lots of fold equity, consider a higher cbet% and bet strong draws aggressively, adding fold equity to the actual equity in your hand.
  2. against very aggressive opponents, consider taking a check-call line more often and allowing them to bluff and to overvalue second best hands.
  3. against calling stations, bet multiple streets for value, never bluff and never assume/hope that they will do the betting for you.

in later stages, it's more important to have a strong 3bet strategy and target tight/weak mid-stacks, but early on with deep stacks just beat them with superior hand selection given th table dynamic and post-flop play against different profiles.

in summary: It's probably best to come into every event with an open mind and figure out the table dynamic before deciding how best to counter it.

F

firemiguel

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Juega sólido y no dilapides tus fichas con manos medias.

Evita las manos iniciales que puedan ir fácilmente dominadas, tipo , que suelen

conectar mejor pareja de mesa con un kicker medio.

Juega de forma agresiva y directa tus manos premium y los sets.

Juega tus manos especulativas, como las parejas bajas, de forma barata.

Si tu mano especulativa no conecta bien con el flop, abandónala sin arriesgar más fichas. pokerstar.com

S

suricato35

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like to play very nit at the beginning of microstakes mtts. OOP I only play the better hands. If on position, I might limp some marginal hands that can win me a huge pot if I hit the flop. If I do hit something huge on the flop, I'll play it aggressively, since u can be against 2-4 opponents. Otherwise I'll just check and try to see a free card and fold to any action

M

Methodless

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm still learning, and I've only ever really played in freerolls, which I know doesn't help a lot with the learning.

I usually play very tight unless I have a killer hand just because the sheer volume of people going all-in and hoping to get lucky is eventually going to overcome my playing smart.

So generally, I play extremely cautious until the idiots have filtered themselves out. I'm never the chip leader mid-way in, but I often have found myself in the top 3-4% of the field when the bottom 1/3rd are out.

I need to adjust what I do after that because I rarely finish there. Finished 13th out of 6500+ last night which is probably the best I have ever done. I finish in the top 30-35% a lot, but out of the top 15% more often than I'd like.

O

oshriosh

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
early i play passive and tight, if i got good hand i get in and play, but my play is usely to see flop in the cost of blinds only if i got playable hands unless fold.

J

joe777

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depend on the format,i tend to play more open in a hyper turbo tourney.

F

freestocks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I play slow at the beginning of a tourney.

A freeroll is different. Then I am an idiot like a fox.

Bogdan Pyts

Bogdan Pyts

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
a8 fold is not super tight, and play should be carefully studying opponents and opened isch based on their range. default range of your opening aj + KQs tt + as set maining can be to practice

tbdbitl

tbdbitl

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm in lock down mode to start usually. I am not one to dictate the table play. I will then adjust my range based on the play around me.

edc1

edc1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well for me it depends alot on how the rest of the table is playing-if its a fairly tight table i might play looser and look to steal pots when i can-if its a loose table with aloit of ppl pushing all-in i might look to trap by being patient and waiting for a hand-if its a mixed table i might mix it up a little myself by playing tight for awhile then loosening up for awhile-there is no set way i play early-i look for chances and oppertunity,s to chip up

FlyinEar

FlyinEar

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm still learning, and I've only ever really played in freerolls, which I know doesn't help a lot with the learning.

I usually play very tight unless I have a killer hand just because the sheer volume of people going all-in and hoping to get lucky is eventually going to overcome my playing smart.

So generally, I play extremely cautious until the idiots have filtered themselves out. I'm never the chip leader mid-way in, but I often have found myself in the top 3-4% of the field when the bottom 1/3rd are out.

I need to adjust what I do after that because I rarely finish there. Finished 13th out of 6500+ last night which is probably the best I have ever done. I finish in the top 30-35% a lot, but out of the top 15% more often than I'd like.

Well, when I read this it's like I'm looking in a mirror :). But even when i have AA or KK i fold when there are already 3 or more "players" allin.

J

joaonetoferreira

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
basically play tight and try to hit sets, and go loosening the extent that the blinds increase

ResAtDorsia

ResAtDorsia

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play tight and try to catch a whale with a monster hand. Getting a double up early helps a lot :)

KidCarter93

KidCarter93

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Tight aggressive is definitely the way to go in the micro stakes. As mentioned already, there's a lot of players who will play any 2 cards purely to try and get a good chip lead in the hopes that they'll do well in the tourney. Playing too many pots against these guys generally won't be a good idea as they could have anything - literally.
Be patient and wait for the better hands. Play more aggressively when you hit with them though and hope to get called off by those who play junk