How do you play 10 10 in MTTs?

nax

nax

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
definitely wanna raise here and get rid of everyone who is willing to call with any ace or king. a lot of people will call with low kickers and an ace or king if they are suited but given a raise they will most likely fold it. obv depending on blinds and how big your stack is. If blinds are high and your shot stacked push that ish all in!!!! go for the money baby!!!!

Yeah, thats obv! Btw I ran into 10 10 today, I had KK, the dude hit 10 on the flop and another 10 on the turn.. what a shame... :eek:

babydrago9

babydrago9

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I will always raise here and position is vital to how much I want to as well as any reads on opponents. If I am first to act I always like to make a raise of around three times the blind, on the button I will usually min raise to make out I am trying to steal their blinds looking for a 3 bet or a weak call.

C

cleiton1988

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The 10 10 is good hand but in my opinion and history with this hand its difficult to go all in especially in the start the best is to raise from good position to see the flop and how the other players hand go and after you decide.

S

stefffan1

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Hmmm...10 10 is hard hand to play because , as soon as a higher card (J , Q K ,A) will come up you start to be afraid. I usually play the it aggressive pre-flop to fold hands like K6 , K9 , A 5 etc. Then I'm sure that the players who are left have very good hands so , if the flop contains low cards I can bet a lot of money and be 90% sure that he is just waiting for something. If a 10 comes up then I try to win as much money as possible and if high cards come up I make a small bet to see if my opponent/s seem/s to have something and then I make a bigger bet or I fold.

stevenright

stevenright

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
go in small bets,... don't overplay it, it is a good hand to extract some chips if you think you're good in the spot, not to risk your tournaments life

S

SeventhLion

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if you are in freerolls, go all-in first hand with TT regardless of position :p

If you are in serious tournament , it depends on many many factors.. one does not simply explain general TT playing.

B

baranka

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are deep, then easy fold on scary board. For later stages play aggressive and extract some value. Esp in possition.

J

jamesponce

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are deep, then easy fold on scary board. For later stages play aggressive and extract some value. Esp in possition.

I wouldn't necessarily say easy fold. Play it through depending on what the stakes are and how many people are left in the hand. For instance if you have 5 people seeing the flop and then have people raising and calling with anything higher than a 10 on board then yea you might want to cut your losses and get rid of TT. However on the other hand if you have the bankroll and the bets are minimum then I say try for a set or 3 bet and see if you can narrow down some players. Again I would only follow through if you have the chips to. No use ending a tourny over TT

N

Nylan

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
whit 10 10 you realy have to know your players ...

Michael Paler

Michael Paler

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Some great advice here, some not so great. One thing I would recommend with 10-10 (or any hand, for that matter); DO NOT allow yourself to have betting tells! IOW, do not bet 2x when UTG with 10-10 and 5x when holding it on the button, for example. People will know your range with big pairs. They can use this to avoid you or trap you. Either one is not good.

Could be just me, but having a opening bet range of 2x to 5x is dangerous. I have noticed always opening for the same amount really throws people (say 2.5 or 3x) as they have no idea if you are opening with AA, AK, 10-10 or 67 suited. Bet some 2x and some 5x, however, you can be read like an open book after enough hands. Sadly, they then assume you are weak if you then limp into a pot. So, make sure you occasionally do so with a strong hand. This will avoid having them slam you when you do decide to limp in.

Loonbat

Loonbat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Some great advice here, some not so great. One thing I would recommend with 10-10 (or any hand, for that matter); DO NOT allow yourself to have betting tells! IOW, do not bet 2x when UTG with 10-10 and 5x when holding it on the button, for example. People will know your range with big pairs. They can use this to avoid you or trap you. Either one is not good.

Could be just me, but having a opening bet range of 2x to 5x is dangerous. I have noticed always opening for the same amount really throws people (say 2.5 or 3x) as they have no idea if you are opening with AA, AK, 10-10 or 67 suited. Bet some 2x and some 5x, however, you can be read like an open book after enough hands. Sadly, they then assume you are weak if you then limp into a pot. So, make sure you occasionally do so with a strong hand. This will avoid having them slam you when you do decide to limp in.

Great comments - I agree with the standard raise size amt 100%. Additionally, I do throw in limps with random hands and also monsters, depending on how I perceive the table.

MTCashman

MTCashman

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
10/10 is a good hand to bet with, do not be afraid of an overcard there is a better chance they missed it and if you think you are beat then you should have no problem getting rid of it, I like playing 10s personally

Airburn

Airburn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So many elements for this question - pot size players stacks/ position / image/other players style of play ect.... I cant answer this as something constent then I do with the 10 10 its always diffrent depends on the sitiuation

duggs

duggs

Killing me softly
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ask yourself the simple question, "Are you (am I) willing to die on the very first hand of this tourney with TT?" Then act accordingly.

You have a hand you certainly would like to scoop the blinds with, and maybe test the waters with, but is it really worth a shove, or a call of a shove?

And to PO, most every tourney, at any buy-in, will have it's share of maniacs until they either kill themselves (usual case), or satisfy that urge to get big fast. And I see that in live tourneys as well, especially those with re-entries or re-buys.

With TT I want to improve before committing all my chips. That means seeing the flop, and while I have a tendency to see a flop at most any price in these cases, I do have limits. So depending on my position, and HUD stats (if any) I might limp, or raise if I think the maniacs somehow avoided this game. But not gonna shove here unless the whole table has limped and I can at least pretend I am squeezing.... Sort of makes that a SB, or BB move.

It's hard enough shoving first hand of a tourney with AA hoping the table is full of lagtards. Why do it with only TT?

rebuys and reentries are fundamentally different from freezeouts. i dont think ever having a range where we 3bet shove 100+bb is ever going to be a good decision.

cardsking

cardsking

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When I have a 10 10 ,there is also a possibility that someone on the table also has a pair AA KK or JJ which cant be rules out . So best thing is to call and wait , and if a Ten turns then go to any extent . If not from the players see who are tight and who not , and someone tight rsise , they have a card , so if u think 10 pair is better go , if not dont :)

F

Flsnookman

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Imho just calling then folding if an overcard comes is not a good play. Standard raise which for me is 2.5x the bb then if I was first to raise ill make a c bet about half the pot. WARNING, good players who hit the flop will flat call you and let you keep betting. Keeping notes on players is huge. Good luck.

B

bernotas22

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
test peoples strength by min raising usually, and maybe shoving to a loose player, most of the time auto-shove to any stack that poses little risk if you lost, play this hand like it is and don't overplay it that's the key

WeenieSVK

WeenieSVK

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me its probably the hardest hand to play. Same with 99. Its hard to fold it on flop when there is 1 or 2 overcards for me :) Actually when I am thjinking about it now, probably I lost more hands with 1010 than I won :D

Anyway preflop in early position I usually raise little bit more cause last thing what you want is play 1010 against 2 or more players. In late position I usually reraise if somebody raised before, then bet on flop.

a true nit

a true nit

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
10s just like all mid pairs are tough to play ..if u get shoved on do u really think they would shove with 9s or smaller pair..even if they had two overs the best u can hope for is a coin flip

C

cotta777

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In late position after the bubble definately jam it up in late position,

your getting good fold equity with a respectable stack size, and your close to 50/50 against, AK AQ AJ - given the equity for a fold with 2 or 3 to act your making it profitable

I would normally fold when yet to act after a raise and a freebet preflop. unless this player is Laggy, and your deep

but in contrast their is no correct play depends on your table type.

10's are a great hand for the re steal, even if they call the freebet and it goes to the flop you got something to fire with,
it's going to be a huge risk for them to rep an ace if they dont have it and they are first to act,
given the free bet so aswell of having a hand you often have initiative on the flop after they check call,

M

matiusaa

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if i'm deep i would raise and see the flop, if there all cards below T, i bet. But if you are not sure how to play it, just play it like a small pocket pair and try to get the set. You need to have good read on your opponents, because this is a very difficult hand to play, so if you don't feel confident just play it like a small pocket pair

Abedin120

Abedin120

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
If you had 10-10 and have not to much chips, I mean if you have less than 12 BB than you should go all-in. If you have more than 12 BB than is more important to save your chips, so if somebody before you make a big raise than you should go fold, or if nobody before you make a raise than you can make raise 3xBB and if somebody make you a re-raise, than you should also go fold.
I read this in some articles, and it says if you have less than 12BB you have to play more aggressive and go all-in with following cards 55,66,77,88,99,TT,JJ,QQ,KK,AA,AK, and if you have more than 12BB than you should save your chips and play only the strong cards like QQ,KK,AA,AK.

BigCountryAA

BigCountryAA

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play 10 10 and JJ for that matter just like I'd play 99. You want to see a flop and you don't want to get yourself into a stack war unless you are short. That actually goes for any hand though honestly unless it's the rockets.

italiano

italiano

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Much depends on the situation should gain the whole hand or the move to help!

J

jamesponce

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If its in the beginning of the tourny dont expect people to call a shove.