How do you handle aggressive players?

PokerJudas

PokerJudas

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This sounds cliche, but it is a good general rule of thumb: You should play the opposite of the table. If someone is overly aggressive, you should be as patient as possible in order to trap your opponent.
You don't bully a bully back by bluffing. Be patient and fire back when you think you have him dominated. And if you get all your chips in with the best hand, you cannot worry about the results. You did all you could to put yourself in the best financial position.

Amen!

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
At a ring game I always tell myself the 11 minute rule. 9 out of 10 times, this player will be gone in 11 minutes. Don't know where I got this rule, just from me playing at enough aggressive tables. For some reason these types of players I encounter do not sit very long, they hit hard and move on, usually having their buyin left at the table. They do get lucky at times, but the law of averages catch up to them. I hope that I am at a 9 or 10 seat ring game when this occurs. Takes longer for the blind to get to me than at a 6 seat ring game. If I fight the aggro player, it would be with AA, KK, or QQ, even a lesser hand if aggro player just lost a decent size hand and is on tilt.

NeverEnough

NeverEnough

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
At a ring game I always tell myself the 11 minute rule. 9 out of 10 times, this player will be gone in 11 minutes. Don't know where I got this rule, just from me playing at enough aggressive tables. For some reason these types of players I encounter do not sit very long, they hit hard and move on, usually having their buyin left at the table. They do get lucky at times, but the law of averages catch up to them. I hope that I am at a 9 or 10 seat ring game when this occurs. Takes longer for the blind to get to me than at a 6 seat ring game. If I fight the aggro player, it would be with AA, KK, or QQ, even a lesser hand if aggro player just lost a decent size hand and is on tilt.
I had QQ against the last aggro player I dealt with. K came on the flop & as big as he bet, I had to assume he had flopped a set or at least a pair. Was a tough lay down for me.

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I probably would have laid it down, too. Many chances to make money off this aggro player, no need to bluff it to win it.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands