How do you feel about strong starting hands?

Kashmir

Kashmir

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
CA
Chips
Just curious if you players find that you get dealt great starting hands in UTG positions and you raise pre flop. Then you get a few calls from MID and CO positions only to be beat with random 2 cards? My question is why give away your strength early position to be beat by the shark at the end who expects you to have a high value hand just to get burned by the 4 7 off suit???
Just seems to be the toughest position to win from.

dannystanks

dannystanks

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
US
Chips
That’s why we have to also bluff in EP when we raise. We don’t want to call and invite all kinds of limpets behind because now the strength of our hand goes down. We are trying to get heads up with the lead and what information are we gathering if they just call rather than 3 bet us. If I know a guy is calling my raises with a range as wide as 4-7 off, I’m not even worried that he caught on us this time. He misses way way too often and we are making money every time he does. Good luck!

M

miriancastro

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I love strong starting hands, good for going allin pre-flop

Fepitaph

Fepitaph

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
since I am a beginner, I agree with the person above, sometimes it’s really scary to play with strong hands, I constantly worry about the thought that there is a fish sitting on the other side of the monitor who will pass you with 32. you need to gain confidence and go to the goal

nakiesQUensyyy

nakiesQUensyyy

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Positively, I try to make a trap for an opponent with less power and then take as much cash as possible

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Just curious if you players find that you get dealt great starting hands in UTG positions and you raise pre flop. Then you get a few calls from MID and CO positions only to be beat with random 2 cards? My question is why give away your strength early position to be beat by the shark at the end who expects you to have a high value hand just to get burned by the 4 7 off suit???
UTG is the next toughest position to win from after the blinds. This is because there is a higher chance of playing the rest of the hand out of position.

We combat this by playing a much stronger range than say the CO or BTN.

If you're opponents are playing 47o pretty much ever, but especially facing an EP raise, please let me know where you play, because I want to get in on the action!

recerveau

recerveau

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm not feeling good. Makes you want to make a risky move.:)

dzsire

dzsire

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
HU
Chips
There are some strong starting hands that I'm happy with, and some that, although they look strong, I can actually already foresee that I'm going to fail big with them. A typical example is when I have AJ or AQ and villain has AK...

nameless

nameless

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Well if i get called loose u will win more than you lose yes when u have a premium hand and get called rubbish u will be mad but that happens even aces have 80 percent to win with most hands. In long run u will win more than you lose

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Generally it is nice when you get premium cards, and when it is at the beginning of the game it is positive sign, but it is too early and the profits will be limited because of the beginning blinds which are low.

Roobz75

Roobz75

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
If I've got a strong hand and first to act, most times I would probably check and just watch the reaction of others. I think going all in with a strong hand preflop, doesn't necessarily have much value, (potentially just the blinds) if everyone folds. You might get a couple of all ins with you, then you've got to hope your 'strong hand' is world champion at arm wrestling.....💪💪💪💪

Atararo14

Atararo14

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
Starting hands vary by position. It is recommended to choose strong hands like AA, KK, AK... when you are UTG.

Of course we start to play loose and open more hands when we approach the button.

yuriko oyama

yuriko oyama

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
under the gun.
difficult to escape or protect.
caution I consider a wise decision.
just my opinion.;););)

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Your point is very valid -UTG is very difficult when we play multi-way therefore we have to make decisions about open raise sizes to limit # of players if we can. If still multi-way pot control post flop is a must have skill and over folding also very important

kaynbergo

kaynbergo

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I always play aggressively with a good hand before and after the flop to prevent another player from converting my 47 or another hand like this one.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands