How do you decide when to end a session?

RidersFan

RidersFan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I sometimes have a problem with ending a session when I start playing without setting a limit of tournaments or time I will play. This doesn’t just affect me when I’m losing but also when I’m winning, causing me to play for hours longer than I intended. It happens quite often when a play spin n go’s, I start out playing just one or two when my tournaments are on break and then I end up playing them for hours after I have busted my tournaments. How do you end a session?

wsbar

wsbar

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is a very important factor for those who play poker online, set a session time. I also have difficulty finishing or pausing the game, I start playing and I do not have time to stop. This ends up hurting me, because playing tired I can not develop a good game.

great_young

great_young

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
I set time for poker for the day, taking into account my other activities. Depending on the importance of the following activity, I may postpone it, but only if I feel very strong on the table. That's what works for me plus discipline. Like any other game, poker can be addictive.

Xesh

Xesh

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
when the bad game and fatigue need to to end

U

UncleConRon

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My opinion

I end tournaments by sometimes finishing them sometimes not finishing then even with big stacks of chips. I guess its because I never played for the big money so I really don't care if I lose. A 2000 dollar even a 20,000 dollar win don't help much. A 20,000 dollar win is nice if you get into the wsop. You would have buy-in and spending money for the tournament.

R

rudy988

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I usually end my sessions cause I have other things to do , or when I've won/loss few stacks (about 2-3h , unless I play MTT , then that can take up to X hours, so I don't play them when I have other things in mind) .
But mostly real life and duties tells me its over for that current day ;)

mitroff

mitroff

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
At the cash game tables 5 buy-ins lost the session was interrupted. In tournaments everything is much more difficult, you can not exit after the session. And in the cache this is essentially the defining moment of your profitability. The idea of the three levels of the game best, medium and worst (A-game, B-game, C-game) from the book Elements of poker Tommy Angelo helped. I advise you to read well written. In time I helped determine what level of the game I play during the session.

mistershrimpy

mistershrimpy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If we talk about online poker, then I, as a rule, stop playing when I feel that I am starting to be distracted from the game, to make rash moves, to treat them not so carefully as at the beginning of the session. Experience suggests that nothing good will come of it, so you need to stop the session.

freddydr87

freddydr87

League Champion
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That is the hardest think to learn,because, when you are winning you want to keep the sing up,and when you are lousing you want to recover your louses,so in any case you want to spot playing.
I have lose my bankroll in a night because of that,now i set and amount of louses or wining,louses about 10% BR i stop, and wining(in cash or spin and g) off 5 buyings i stop and as well.

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When I can not concentrate on analyzing my opponents' game, it's time for me to stop playing.

_420_420_

_420_420_

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I would say its time to go home when you start to feel fatigued.
Not just physically but also emotionally, like maybe if you just got bubbled it is a good time to take a break at least since that is always a bad spot.

R

ravhin

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
if i feel that i am getting too emotional during a game then i quit. an angry player is a losing player

rocketbox

rocketbox

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tough question, but its one that we all have to answer for ourselves. Echoing some of the other players here, I set a time frame for when I'm going to play, and when I'll pack up for the day. 4 hours on one tournament should put you in the money for most online tournaments. If you carry that on to 6 hours, you'll play worse. What I've found is that by the end of 4 hours, my mind wonders to other things. Stay healthy. Take breaks to stretch your body and DRINK WATER. You'll play much better when your body is hydrated and loose. Good luck! [ac]

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Set goals for yourself. Once you hit that goal, take a break and end that session for the day. If you feel tired or feel like you are not playing your best, walk away for the day.

smknginmaine

smknginmaine

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When you run outta weed.... You gotta stop. Or, at least pause. Priorities man, priorities.

an9312

an9312

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Set goals for yourself. Once you hit that goal, take a break and end that session for the day. If you feel tired or feel like you are not playing your best, walk away for the day.

i agree but what i am having trouble with realistic goals. i dont know how to start small. i just kinda go big or go home, how can you train this mindset?

N

nowyX

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just to make 100$ per day, then I go out

Ranish625

Ranish625

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The same thing happens to me, I recently just play one tournament a day, regardless won or lost, I quit the game until tomorrow.

neverbluff

neverbluff

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I figure a tournament can take upwards of 5+ hours to finish. So I'll quit when I don't think it would be wise to start up another tournament. Another sign to quit is if you feel you are getting "unlucky" and it is affecting your play.

Joco413

Joco413

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When you feel tired/hungry and you feel going downhill so it's better to stop and take a break.

J

jofieloviedo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
follow a schedule

That happen a lot I guess but a thing it can help you is just stablish how many tournaments and how much time you are gonna play and also is a good idea follow a schedule, discipline is necessary when we play poker and is one of the key factors to be a great player and follow a schedule is very important.

maybe if you are having a bad day is a good idea finish the session a little bit before but usually when we are playing bad or just losing cause of the variance is a good idea keep playing until the time we set is over or until the last tournament we set is over too

I

izpanol

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is intuitive, when I feel that luck has abandoned me since they do not stop raining terrible hands, what remains is to lower my head, take a walk and return to my life. Although there are some people who wear it better, with a strict schedule of when to enter and leave the games, for them luck has nothing to do.

masik6

masik6

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I end the session when I see that I am tired and make the wrong decision.

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I figure a tournament can take upwards of 5+ hours to finish. So I'll quit when I don't think it would be wise to start up another tournament. Another sign to quit is if you feel you are getting "unlucky" and it is affecting your play.
I find this the best approach.