How do you deal with being Card Dead in MTT's?

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I mutter to myself and try to keep a playable stack. The most common action toward this objective is stealing more than I usually would when it's folded to me in the later positions. Another is to look for opportunities to shove after an active player opens, which is why one of the reasons it's important to maintain a stack with enough chips to have some fold equity.

B

bernotas22

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
honestly sometimes i make bad plays if i am running below average and just need a double up to maintain my standing in the tourney that i would be ok with, so i may just end up shoving ok but not the greatest of hands like AT ,KQ, JQ, or Mid Pairs, because i would rather gamble than continue to wait for a monster, that's the biggest issue for me being short-stacked is rushing myself to get to average or better instead of slowly chipping up or waiting for monsters

B

Blue_Fossil

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
One of the reason's I like deep stack tourneys...helps with surviving the long stretches of junk. But I can relate...there are some games where you just get nothing, then when you feel like you have a playable hand, something goes against you.

When it happens to me, I try riding it out without doing something stupid. Worst case scenario is you finally get a hand you can shove with, maybe get heads up and double up with any two cards.

A

ahol27

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When the M is low enough, you gotta shove anything...no excuses

J

jangalang37

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Insight at its finest... But basically just loosen up in late position as said before just play your game. Hands will come eventually. If you just fold and fold, and all of a sudden u wake up with AA and raise, and u have played no hands for an hour. It's likely that even the biggest donkeys won't give u action

I literally just did this at French Lick. It was a small tournament with 16 players and for the first half of the tournament I was on fire got great cards made excellent decisions. Then we get to the final table and stone cold...... Not a single hand at all. Kind of hard to push all in with 68o when your small stacked to everyone else because you have just been getting blinded out.

Needless to say I finished just outside the money.

valkopt

valkopt

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When i card dead i just fold and wait, and fold and wait and fold and fold and fold and then i blind myself to dead and i blame card dead and dont think that i could do something...

This is so true :D

But still, sometimes, I really get impatient and frustated and see myself in fights where I only can loose. It happened in the CardsChat freeroll this week and was my dead in 30 position.

Really something I have to work im my game (among dozens of other things :biggrin: )

P

pokerclann1

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If its a turbo structure, dont go limping oop, shove your live cards from late position and pick up the blinds, dont let the ppl in ep get comfy, keep them guessing, theres nothing worse than nitting it up and ending up blinding away, remember its always advantagous to be the shover and not the shovee.

dolchinkov

dolchinkov

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Dead cards

My last 3 MTT's I was so card dead it was unbeliveable!

no suited connectors no pairs and dont even think about top pairs just random hands like 3-8os and j-4 for hours and hours.

How do you guys play an MTT While being card dead the entire tourny?
This is a MicroBuy Turbo MTT with alot of donks where table image dosent matter at all and russians are going all in everytime, and people dont care if you didnt call for 20 hands straight and then go all in you will still get called.

And people will call you with just about anything so bluffing trying to steal is plain stupid and kicks you out pretty fast.

How can you make it to final table like this? I mean the blinds go up fast and people are going crazy around you untill bubble and even after bubble, Damn I Hate being card dead lol I Guess to make turbo Knockout mtt's final table you must get good cards!

How do you guys deal with Being card dead for so long?

Just try to reading oponents & bluf them.tThis is an option for situation like this.This way is not easy :pepsi:

Bowman26

Bowman26

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
honestly sometimes i make bad plays if i am running below average and just need a double up to maintain my standing in the tourney that i would be ok with, so i may just end up shoving ok but not the greatest of hands like AT ,KQ, JQ, or Mid Pairs, because i would rather gamble than continue to wait for a monster, that's the biggest issue for me being short-stacked is rushing myself to get to average or better instead of slowly chipping up or waiting for monsters

So that's YOU that keeps shoving with ATo!!! :bootyshak

NeverEnough

NeverEnough

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The problem is when you are card dead for too long the players at the table think you're playing extra tight.

Then when you do pick up a hand, you raise and the table insta-folds. Not very amusing.
There are so many LAG & calling station players in the live MTTs I play that it doesn't matter. I am a very tight player, but even I get callers or raisers a lot of the time playing one hand after folding a million hands previously.

zEric7x

zEric7x

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The problem is when you are card dead for too long the players at the table think you're playing extra tight.

Then when you do pick up a hand, you raise and the table insta-folds. Not very amusing.

I know what you mean. It sometimes feels like when I have aces they are face up for everybody to see. Its like the other players are the heard of antelope and I am the lion and they see me so they run. I guess its my fault for folding my last 50 hands and it feels like I do that sometimes.

D

dumpy620_84

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Easy call, fold or raise.... Seriously call when the pot is really cheap, fold when the pot is to rich, and mix in some raises to steal pots. A good mixure of all is what you have to do otherwise you will not only be card dead but also chip dead.

dkoncc

dkoncc

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
SIMPLE.. JUST CLICK THE FOLD BUTTON AND DONT MAKE A BIG DEAL ABOUT IT...

PATIENCE IS VERY IMPORTANT PART OF POKER..

dkoncc

dkoncc

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I know what you mean. It sometimes feels like when I have aces they are face up for everybody to see. Its like the other players are the heard of antelope and I am the lion and they see me so they run. I guess its my fault for folding my last 50 hands and it feels like I do that sometimes.

BUT IF YOU ARE PLAYING SOLID HANDS THEN THAT SHOULDNT BE A BIG ISSUE...

ITS THE FISH THAT ARE CALLLIN ANYWAY..