How do people deal with HU SnG micro donk who pushes every single hand?

R

RamdeeBen

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Basically as the subject says he pushed from the first hand up till I called on the 6th hand with A,6 suited. I'm guessing any Ace is good and wasn't incorrect to call?

He had 8,5 and caught an 8 but it's frustrating I dunno how best to deal with it?

seanDCFC

seanDCFC

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You need to widen your calling range against these players, it would be unwise to keep folding and hope you pick up a monster. I would include any ace, most kings, some Qx hands, maybe as low as J10 depending on stack sizes, im defo calling with any poket pair against this type of opponent. A,6 suited is a snap call for me against these players.

x2486

x2486

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Basically as the subject says he pushed from the first hand up till I called on the 6th hand with A,6 suited. I'm guessing any Ace is good and wasn't incorrect to call?

He had 8,5 and caught an 8 but it's frustrating I dunno how best to deal with it?

But note that it does not apply until the shorter stack is about 10bb or smaller, so basically you can do a lot of folding until you get a truly premium hand or your stack gets too small.

Last edited by a moderator:
W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
NASH is your friend against loose shovers.

E

engman

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just wait for best hand and pick him off. If you had a big enough stack, maybe wait for a better than a6.

Pbland

Pbland

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Totally agree with engman. Just wait and pick him off.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just wait for best hand and pick him off. If you had a big enough stack, maybe wait for a better than a6.

Totally agree with engman. Just wait and pick him off.

Think about it guys, you fold 3-4 hands in a row at 400/800 and see how you get on with "picking players off".

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Think about it guys, you fold 3-4 hands in a row at 400/800 and see how you get on with "picking players off".

HU SNG's don't start out with 400/800 blind levels, Wizz. Fool starts shovin 1st hand of match, you can afford to wait a bit for a hand, or until he has to sit out while his Mom changes his diaper. Either case get one of the decent hands mentioned above & shove or call his shove & move on.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
HU SNG's don't start out with 400/800 blind levels, Wizz. Fool starts shovin 1st hand of match, you can afford to wait a bit for a hand, or until he has to sit out while his Mom changes his diaper. Either case get one of the decent hands mentioned above & shove or call his shove & move on.

Pretty sure we're talking about 9 man STT and when we get to the heads up part of that. If not, then I apologize.

Edit: Yep, it is a HU, sorry guys.

New answer.

Just wait and pick him off, LOL.

CntryBoys

CntryBoys

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I kinda like playing donks like that and just sit and wait for a good hand

midgetfactory

midgetfactory

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Patience is the key, wait for a good hand, he'll push anyways, i now he might catch a card like he did in your game, but in the long run ull profit from playing these players with patience

forsakenone

forsakenone

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
NASH is your friend against loose shovers.

yep this is it if stacks are short compared to blinds, but if its a HU sng just wait, you have tons of time lol.

LargePecans

LargePecans

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
ok this is what u do...........

obviously absorb some loss....you wanna play top quality hands...why risk losing with a small pair when you know he will shove the next hand?....but my best advice is....sloooow down the game...wait until the last possible second to act....

this will undoubtedly infuriate him, as much as his maniacal play annoys you...

i love playing these fools...i will play them all day..easy money

x2486

x2486

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
ok this is what u do...........

obviously absorb some loss....you wanna play top quality hands...why risk losing with a small pair when you know he will shove the next hand?....but my best advice is....sloooow down the game...wait until the last possible second to act....

this will undoubtedly infuriate him, as much as his maniacal play annoys you...

i love playing these fools...i will play them all day..easy money

I would recommend the opposite of this. You should play as fast as possible so that you see as many hands as you can at the lowest blind levels and have the greatest chance of getting a good high pair. If you slow down you'll get fewer hands per blind level, so you'll have fewer chances to get a great hand before you have to make your move or be blinded out. Infuriating an opponent who is shoving every hand does not change the game. Hopefully you can infuriate him enough when you take all his chips.

Last edited:
B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i try to play these as fast as possible although occasionally i hollywood/tank on some snapfold decisions. I want to play with SPRs as big as possible.

BillyBrewington

BillyBrewington

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually sit and pick players like that off just pick my spots tighten up a bit more than usual. Usually works pretty well for me.

E

EstimatedProphet

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I have been struggling with this problem myself, and honestly, its quite annoying! When this is happening to me, I do three things:

1) Remember, he's getting just as aweful hands as you are!! He doesn't have the nuts every single time so try going all in first(if you have a hand to do it with!!) and see what his reaction is. If they're that aweful, they're gonna call but show some aggression towards these players. It seems to slow them down when I do this.

2) The blinds start out low, so WAIT! Don't wait so long that youre up to 30/60, 40/80. 50/100 on the blinds, cause by then you stack is gonna be short and that's no bueno. There's nothing wrong with being a patient player against these types of people. Honestly, I prob wouldn'tve shoved with A6. I'd wait around for a hand I felt more comfort with, such as a pocket pair(77 and up), Ace 9 and up, suited cards.. my point is, I would wait for a hand I felt COMFORTABLE with. Not get aggitated and be like Ax, screw it.. im sick of this, I call. Cause honestly, if you dont feel comfortable w/ a hand, why play it? Esp against a donk of this magnitude lol and last but not lease

3) Realize, it is poker... bad beats will happen! So if it doesn't, shake it off and go from there. Don't let these donks take the enjoyment out of it for ya! Maybe even put dudes name on a list so you know not to go up against him again cause its just gonna be random all-in calls with 2-7, and I say this from experience =P I had QQ and was like "perfect, I call!" Flop 2-Q-7... three of a kind! woo hoo! Turn 10... you can guess what happened on the river... and no, I did not win that hand.

But that's how I play those kind of players... I wait for a DECENT hand that I would play in an early position if I was playing a cash game, or MTT close to the bubble lol So that takes my range of hands down, but at least I feel comfortable when I do call... I dont think widening your range here is a good idea due to the fact that he's gonna call no matter what he has, or what he thinks you have so the old saying "patience is a virture" comes in handy here... but then again, once can't be to patient ;)

BigJamo

BigJamo

Aussie Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Everyone seems to have covered this one nicely.

But I do have one thing for you.

I play all my hands as if it was going to be all-in. This has worked very nicely for me in a MTT situation, so im sure it would stand its ground HU.

M

madhat4

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
You just got unlucky buddy. Against someone like that any ace would of been a good call.

Y

yotalover

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have been struggling with this problem myself, and honestly, its quite annoying! When this is happening to me, I do three things:

1) Remember, he's getting just as aweful hands as you are!! He doesn't have the nuts every single time so try going all in first(if you have a hand to do it with!!) and see what his reaction is. If they're that aweful, they're gonna call but show some aggression towards these players. It seems to slow them down when I do this.

2) The blinds start out low, so WAIT! Don't wait so long that youre up to 30/60, 40/80. 50/100 on the blinds, cause by then you stack is gonna be short and that's no bueno. There's nothing wrong with being a patient player against these types of people. Honestly, I prob wouldn'tve shoved with A6. I'd wait around for a hand I felt more comfort with, such as a pocket pair(77 and up), Ace 9 and up, suited cards.. my point is, I would wait for a hand I felt COMFORTABLE with. Not get aggitated and be like Ax, screw it.. im sick of this, I call. Cause honestly, if you dont feel comfortable w/ a hand, why play it? Esp against a donk of this magnitude lol and last but not lease

3) Realize, it is poker... bad beats will happen! So if it doesn't, shake it off and go from there. Don't let these donks take the enjoyment out of it for ya! Maybe even put dudes name on a list so you know not to go up against him again cause its just gonna be random all-in calls with 2-7, and I say this from experience =P I had QQ and was like "perfect, I call!" Flop 2-Q-7... three of a kind! woo hoo! Turn 10... you can guess what happened on the river... and no, I did not win that hand.

But that's how I play those kind of players... I wait for a DECENT hand that I would play in an early position if I was playing a cash game, or MTT close to the bubble lol So that takes my range of hands down, but at least I feel comfortable when I do call... I dont think widening your range here is a good idea due to the fact that he's gonna call no matter what he has, or what he thinks you have so the old saying "patience is a virture" comes in handy here... but then again, once can't be to patient ;)

Something smells fishy here. If he had 27, and you had QQ, and the flop was 2Q7, and the turn was 10, there's no way you lost the hand. Not sure why you would write down such an example from experience. He's drawing dead after the turn.

As for the all-in aggression. I'd wait him out for a good hand like most people are saying, but I think the A6 suited was fine to call with. You got unlucky with it, but you were ahead when you called. Maybe wait for a bigger hand to call if your BR isn't up to par.

x2486

x2486

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Something smells fishy here. If he had 27, and you had QQ, and the flop was 2Q7, and the turn was 10, there's no way you lost the hand. Not sure why you would write down such an example from experience. He's drawing dead after the turn.

A flush is possible, though it's kind of odd that EstimatedProphet didn't mention it if that was the case here.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands