How do I keep focused to make it through large-field tournaments?

JBGoode

JBGoode

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
stay focused. lol I know that sounds rhetorical, but that's what separates the good from the great. Let go of emotion, don't give into fatigue and focus on the job at hand.

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have been a poker player for many years but I still can not find the formula to win a good tournament of 5000 participants. The moment always comes when I lose focus and I throw away the tournament that advice can give me to continue advancing in my game and to win a great tournament:D:D

Losing focus AND throwing away the tournament ? No no no .... this is very bad !

What are you feeling at the time ? Are you bored and fidgety and just want to play ball with the dog ?

Do you not want to be sitting anymore ?

You can adjust for these things....

But if you can not overcome this focus deficit as you describe then you should not play tournaments with that structure until you overcome that flaw in your game.

It might be best to just get up from the table when that happens. Bio-break, water, distraction - even if it is for 10 minutes. Yes you will still pay blinds in a tournament but that is much better than throwing a tournament away.

Good luck !

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
do you go in for sports? If you are in good physical shape, you can stay focused much longer and make smart decisions !!! this is said by all professional players But very few poker lovers pay attention to this !!!

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
And....good nutrition. Eating "brain healthy" foods helps.
Fish, fruits, vegetables, meats, low-carbs.

guccipix

guccipix

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the biggest thing with these huge field tourneys is to not play any hand that you dont need to play. Fold your J8o from the button, fold A8o from the hijack, just don't get involved in hands unless you really should. Try to multitask too so you're focused on a couple things at a time. Don't bluff unless you should as well.

mitchy boi

mitchy boi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If your only playing High entrant tournaments you are rarely going to string together wins within the same month let alone weekly, Try hit up SnGs they are a great way to test how good you really are.

My story was I would grind the $1.50-$3.50 Sngs and then make a nice profit but get sucked into the allure of playing the big fields on sunday.

SageSight

SageSight

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I focus on surviving, relaxing, executing my strategy, and getting to each break. Multi-tabling can help but that is a somewhat indirect solution and is probably only good for a temporary solution since multi-tabling is not practical in a live environment (sometimes not even in an online environment).

In addition, multi-tabling will also split ones focus thus reducing overall potential at any given time frame for a single game thus if one's goal is to become as skilled as possible this is not directly suggested; though it can be used to train in other areas but because of the split focus should be avoided in tournaments and matches that one is taking completely seriously where one wants to win with 100% of their spirit and will.

The simple answer is one must become stronger, one must resolve to never lose focus no matter what.

Clowntown

Clowntown

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
To increase your chances of winning try to carefully study how each player is playing once you get to the middle stage of the tournament. This can help you accumulate some chips without having to take a bunch of coinflips and get really lucky.

If you really have a hard time focusing on 1 table then you could always do another MTT at the same time.

S

Smokewood

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Best advice i can give is take note of how many places get paid.
1. Also realize that it is actually possible to get into the money because many before you have done so.
2. Don't worry about number of players but how you playing.
3. When you very close to the money, try play a little tighter.

I used to worry about number of players in a tournament but what helps me is looking at the number after 10 minutes, you'll find so many people get kicked out quickly.

Terrible advice.
When you get close to the money is when you want to get extremely loose because all the other players will start playing tight and will be afraid to make a move.