How do I defend against a button raise when I'm in the small blind?

JeffSBrito

JeffSBrito

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
If the raise is small and there are still players left to act, I usually choose to reraise to isolate the player from the button or to get more information about his hand. If the raise is big and I believe the player on the button has a strong hand, I may choose to just call and watch the flop cautiously.

And how do you defend yourself?

S

sumdumguy

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends on the cards in hand, there is always a rank, remember that the BTN or OTG always tends to have ranks of pairs or consecutive cards of the same suit, in the small blind, if your stack is higher than the one or the villains, a pair rank higher than 33+ is playable, if your stack is lower than one, it would have to be, to be safe, a JJ+, but only considering the value of the stack using ICM, EV calculations. Practice with the free ICM Trainer, it's for SnG but it will help you to know what range of hands can be played in the SB and the other positions.

kon44

kon44

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Having a hand to start with helps for a start lol. Though many players apply pressure because they are in position to do so... Some with junk, many with mediocre offerings and occasionally solid to pre monsters... Same intentions across the whole orbit of the table if stacked up. It makes sense to observe the players at your table before determining how aggressive or lose they are when in position.... You'll benefit more the longer your sat with them

JeffSBrito

JeffSBrito

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
It's true, it depends on the amount of chips I have and the timing of the tournament. I believe that using pairs of the same suit and connectors is a good way to really defend yourself. ^^