How to deal with monkey shovers?

M

MadDogMgee

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello all, i've been playing poker for several years, but only online fairly recently. I feel like im a pretty decent player, but keep getting knocked out of tourneys by people with crazy hands vs my premiums. My question is how do you deal with these guys in order to actually finish a tournament?

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First of all you need to understand, that is it completely normal to be knocked out of tournaments. After all this is the whole nature of tournaments, and if for instance 200 players entered, then only 9 will reach the final table, and only one will win. This mean, your chance of winning is 0,5%, and your chance of final tabling is 4,5%, if you are no worse or better than the other players.

Second you just make sure, you are calling with the right range and understand ICM. You need a much stronger hand to call than jam, so maybe some of those jams are actually not that crazy. And the other side of this coin is, that maybe you should also look for more spots to jam yourself, so you can pick up some blinds and antes as well, when everyone fold. Watch the video, Katie and Collin did recently on the subject.

Last night someone went abeshit crazy on me in the chat in a 3$ SnG on 888 Poker, because I rejammed light on him with T8s, when he had KJo, and I got there to win most of his chips. But really with his stack size, which was only around 12BB, maybe he should just have open shoved his KJo instead of mini-raising and inviting a rejam with a hand, that is rarely a huge equity favourite against anything, people rejam.

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
If you get it in good you have already done all you can do. The rest is luck.

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
at the end of the game luck counts for 60%. you have to play with max hands and choose your spots to try to reduce the effect of the variance. if I have a good stack that allows me to reach the final table. I tighten my game even more and do not hesitate to fold hoping that the other players bust before me.

B

bigd2172

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
This is really going to depend on your sample size..If you are talking only a few tournaments then I wouldnt be concerned variance will catch up....Keep in mind a really good tournament player is only finishing in the money about 20% of the time

demibar

demibar

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Shovers steal the blinds or playing aggressively if they find some tight or weak players so keep your playing and read your opponents .Not every tournament is successful no matter how good you are .

C

Criminal Bizzy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1. Make notes about players. If you keep going to the same site to play you will there is a good chance you might come across the same players. So the notes will help you remember what kind of plays they do.

2. Pick your spots. Try to be the one that is shoving All-In and if you can't be stick to premium hands when calling. For example KJo isn't always as premium as it looks.

3. Be more aggressive in your opens. Make sure that you are raising pre-flop more often and try not to limp very much. When you raise pre-flop the players should think about your raise more seriously than if you limped in.

swoopdonk

swoopdonk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Even so called perfect play can end up busted by luck. Ask Hellmuth, rofl.

Luvart

Luvart

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
MTTs need a decent amount of luck to make a big win or win the first position.

You need to have a good understanding of the push-fold ranges when the blinds get decreased. Also have patience and solid bankroll management.

B1731898

B1731898

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The key is keeping a level head, even when someone beats you with horrible play. It's going to happen, but trying to make all the right moves, and continuing to get better, should make you profitable. This is something I continue to work on everyday, and yes I've been profitable for years.

M

MadDogMgee

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you guys for all the replies. I wanted to run an experiment today on a freeroll tourney with about 140 players. On the site I was on(not ACR), I've always struggled to do well in any format, even though i've done ok on some other sites in mtt's and sngs. The players on this site are what I would describe as hyper-aggressive nits. Anytime they get in a pot its just bet bet bet any time they have any kind of value, getting a lot of playders to fold the best hand a lot of the time. So today I just used a push/fold strategy preflop, and ended up finishing 3rd.

D

dompoker

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Against these players, expect good hands, and they will give us all their chips, sometimes we lose against a bad beat, but most times we'll win.

Gaviria8

Gaviria8

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Only 1 word and you'll destroy them: PATIENCE

C

Criminal Bizzy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its here in the forum probably the tournament subforum. You can also just find in on Youtube directly at the Cardschat channel.

OK, should I just search for Katie and Collin?

M

molokheia

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi There
The best play is to limp in the first half of tournament
This will cut most oh fishes

Then go playing your play and get to the final table
rgds

SightUnseen

SightUnseen

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just continue to play solid, if you're always getting it in with the top of your range eventually variance will be on your side weather they're spewing or not. Keep playing solid, eventually you'll run like god and bink!

63burner

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
depends on your expected outcome...

If you enter tournie expecting to win, or just ITM, affects dealing with crazies. Disciplined play will get you "there", with a decent stack, in latter stages. Since you are where you want to be, you have options. 1- go for the win, not backing down, with a premium hand. 2- try for ITM, not the end of the world to fold even a premium hand, a little free money is better than no money. Option 3 is the norm: will play out anything close to premium, so blinds don't eat me alive.

C

canfoldaces

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Monkey shovers is the easiest player to trap in the table so you only need to wait for a good hand and boom!!!!!!

ventrolloquist

ventrolloquist

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello all, i've been playing poker for several years, but only online fairly recently. I feel like im a pretty decent player, but keep getting knocked out of tourneys by people with crazy hands vs my premiums. My question is how do you deal with these guys in order to actually finish a tournament?
Depending on his monkey shoving range you just wait for hands that have max equity like high pocket pairs, you'll be bored to death folding almost everything but when they pay you they will pay you big. These are some of the most lucrative players you can play against lol.

Personally I prefer a high pocket pair to play it safe. I'd be careful with any non pair broadways other than AK or AQ. It depends on how deep your stack is as well.

BoyNamedSude

BoyNamedSude

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You can call me any name you like... It won't help your game, and you will still lose.
AA almost always gets challenged... it's not an automatic win... and should never be an expected win...

shane4050

shane4050

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First of all you need to understand, that is it completely normal to be knocked out of tournaments. After all this is the whole nature of tournaments, and if for instance 200 players entered, then only 9 will reach the final table, and only one will win. This mean, your chance of winning is 0,5%, and your chance of final tabling is 4,5%, if you are no worse or better than the other players.

Second you just make sure, you are calling with the right range and understand ICM. You need a much stronger hand to call than jam, so maybe some of those jams are actually not that crazy. And the other side of this coin is, that maybe you should also look for more spots to jam yourself, so you can pick up some blinds and antes as well, when everyone fold. Watch the video, Katie and Collin did recently on the subject.

Last night someone went abeshit crazy on me in the chat in a 3$ SnG on 888 Poker, because I rejammed light on him with T8s, when he had KJo, and I got there to win most of his chips. But really with his stack size, which was only around 12BB, maybe he should just have open shoved his KJo instead of mini-raising and inviting a rejam with a hand, that is rarely a huge equity favourite against anything, people rejam.

This right here, amazing info. Work on your push shove fold game and value of your hands. Alot comes down to strong preflop play later in the tournys and how much or your stack your willing to risk to steal blinds from weaker players. Alot of the time as big stack its always +ev to shove weaker stacked players as the most they can do is double up and hold on for another round as long as it doesnt effect you.

SuzdalDEcor

SuzdalDEcor

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If it is a start of final table i never agree to deal. I can Just wait for HU with a playing only strong hands. I Will agree to deal only in HU, If my stack Will be so small[emoji16]