How could I have played this hand better?

J

jamesracing

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
GB
Chips

The obvious answer seems to be checking back, but knowing my luck he'd end up hitting a 3 to his 56 suited! I may be answering my own question here, but I'd honestly appreciate any feedback from more experienced players.

Additional rant below:

I've only been playing for three or four weeks, I've cashed in this $109 tournament three times now.
The highest I've been paid is $800, but tonight I've busted out for $248, and a couple of days ago I busted out for a similar amount.

I'm not being paid often enough when I have a decent hand, and don't seem to be getting much luck when I try to get creative either - I get punished whenever I do!
I feel like this is hurting me post bubble.

Was sitting on 200,000 chips, min raised UTG with AA - trying to entice some action, ideally a re-raise.
I'm called by the BB, flop comes 10d Jd Kd and he bets the 50k pot out of position. I shove all in, he calls then hits a 9d on the turn to complete his straight. I was literally telling myself that I'm about to be punished for slow playing my AA :cry:
I understand the straight flush draw on the board could have saved me a lot of chips, I accept my mistake in hindsight, but the same can be said about my opponent who was only holding top pair, and a regular straight draw.

The above play puts me down to 50k, I shove all in next hand with AJ and double up to 100k.
A couple minutes later I've been blinded down to 80k ish, I shove all in with 33 from the CO and I get called on SM with A8.
Board runs out Jd Kd, Js, 10h, Kh to serve him two pair with better kicker.

These two hands are not the main point of this, but I thought I'd give a little more context, I've also attached screenshots below.

I get into the cash positions but don't seem to be able to capitalise on it. These small stakes online tournaments are a proper grind - late reg is still open, yet everyone is forced shoving all in with 15-25 BB due to the level structure! I end up playing really tight and joining the bingo contest myself, almost takes the enjoyment out of it.

I apologise for my frustrations, but if anyone can offer any advice, feedback or words of encouragement then I'd really appreciate it. I don't have any poker friends, so it feels a bit lonely!

Thanks in advance
Jim

Attachments

• Slow Play Aces DOH!!.jpg
    Slow Play Aces DOH!!.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 12
  • Tournament Bust!.jpg
    Tournament Bust!.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands