How to cope with poker badbeats?

MoryMorte

MoryMorte

Rock Star
Joined
May 10, 2016
Total posts
298
Chips
0
So what you guys do when you play with a fish and he plays idiotically aggressive and you call him/her with better hand and you loose. This happens a lot sometimes and just makes me pissed off.
What to do in theses situations?
 
T

Turn7

Rock Star
Joined
Apr 25, 2016
Total posts
101
Chips
0
Indeed, there are a lot of fishes playing for whatever but not with seriousness or any strategy. They are only speculating for the one lucky shot when you call them with a real good hand and they win with 72o :D But in my opinion that's no real bad beat! A real bad beat is if you are in front kind of 99% winning chance and the other one hits the 1% on the River, that's a bad beat.

But what could you do?! Perhaps you have luck the next time getting such a fish or you should select tournaments, SnGs, ... more wisely! The most fishes maybe playing the games with the smallest blinds. But if you are trying higher blinds your skills should be at this level, too.
 
MattRyder

MattRyder

🍏 Tech That Works!
Joined
Sep 12, 2013
Total posts
8,309
Awards
15
Chips
0
In the end, I'd rather be beat through pure luck rather than by being out-played. At least then I know that I did everything correctly. The only defense against the type of player that you describe is to simply play good poker. Part of that includes pot control - is there really any need to call a shove with top pair/medium kicker or a similar hand that can still be beat fairly easily? If you know that he wants to get the stacks in the middle every hand, it will frustrate the heck out of him if you don't cooperate until you have a monster. Sooner or later he'll bust, leave or be playing on tilt himself.
 
P

paulsmall007

Visionary
Joined
Feb 18, 2016
Total posts
571
Chips
0
Yea I agree Matt, I'd rather know that I made the right decision and was just unlucky then I believe someone and they got me to fold a big hand with complete air
 
I

ItryhardAA

Enthusiast
Joined
Mar 22, 2015
Total posts
73
Chips
0
my whole day today has been bad beats and them hitting the river. all I can do is meditate and not go on tilt and lose more money and know variance will go my way again sometime
 
B

B1BOMBER

Legend
Joined
Mar 1, 2016
Total posts
1,134
Awards
2
Chips
60
So what you guys do when you play with a fish and he plays idiotically aggressive and you call him/her with better hand and you loose. This happens a lot sometimes and just makes me pissed off.
What to do in theses situations?
I expect a bad beat every hand so if I win it makes me all the happier. When you see the crap the bingo playing fish win with it makes you sick. I am playing in a tourney with one rite now had a A high club flush, the board had a pair of 4's so I figured he had a boat, but only had trip 4's and doubled me up. When you expect to loose with a big hand and instead you win it's a much better feeling.:D:D
 
robertocoelho

robertocoelho

Rock Star
Joined
Jun 18, 2015
Total posts
306
Chips
0
Angry you always is, but if you played the right way this happens in the long run you will have more success.
 
B

borkokon

Enthusiast
Joined
Feb 19, 2016
Total posts
28
Chips
0
When i get angry i go for a run :D And when I cool off start playing :)
 
D

Dan Lucas

Rock Star
Joined
Apr 18, 2016
Total posts
475
Chips
0
I just take a deep breath, step away from the tables for a few minutes, then try to forget about it, and go on to the next table or tournament. These players don't really care enough to play poker, so I just try to play my game and take advantage of their mistakes, which is bound to happen. But it does take discipline to not go on tilt. If you are really upset, take the day off to recharge, don't try to get revenge.
 
O

ohydrostate419

Rising Star
Joined
May 19, 2016
Total posts
3
Chips
0
River Rat

There's always that player who will chase a hand to the river. Raising high preflop don't always help, I just tell myself some people just get lucky and unfortunately I'm not.
 
MoryMorte

MoryMorte

Rock Star
Joined
May 10, 2016
Total posts
298
Chips
0
Indeed, there are a lot of fishes playing for whatever but not with seriousness or any strategy. They are only speculating for the one lucky shot when you call them with a real good hand and they win with 72o :D But in my opinion that's no real bad beat! A real bad beat is if you are in front kind of 99% winning chance and the other one hits the 1% on the River, that's a bad beat.

But what could you do?! Perhaps you have luck the next time getting such a fish or you should select tournaments, SnGs, ... more wisely! The most fishes maybe playing the games with the smallest blinds. But if you are trying higher blinds your skills should be at this level, too.

I want to go and play higher stakes but I'm afraid to do that. I kind of got stuck at $140-150 bankroll and I'm playing mostly $3 buyins. Should I go play $5 or higher buy-ins?
 
MoryMorte

MoryMorte

Rock Star
Joined
May 10, 2016
Total posts
298
Chips
0
In the end, I'd rather be beat through pure luck rather than by being out-played. At least then I know that I did everything correctly. The only defense against the type of player that you describe is to simply play good poker. Part of that includes pot control - is there really any need to call a shove with top pair/medium kicker or a similar hand that can still be beat fairly easily? If you know that he wants to get the stacks in the middle every hand, it will frustrate the heck out of him if you don't cooperate until you have a monster. Sooner or later he'll bust, leave or be playing on tilt himself.

That kind of makes sense but when he play super aggressive and bets his middle or bottom pair like crazy, if you fold you lose a lot of chips and your chips will get eaten by blinds and antes or preflop raises.
 
MoryMorte

MoryMorte

Rock Star
Joined
May 10, 2016
Total posts
298
Chips
0
I expect a bad beat every hand so if I win it makes me all the happier. When you see the crap the bingo playing fish win with it makes you sick. I am playing in a tourney with one rite now had a A high club flush, the board had a pair of 4's so I figured he had a boat, but only had trip 4's and doubled me up. When you expect to loose with a big hand and instead you win it's a much better feeling.:D:D

I like the term you used: bingo playing fish :))))
but the thing is, anytime I have a feeling in my gut that he has a boat or better hand than mine, he effing has it. I call and get busted :|
I really need to stop calling those hands but you will see them playing other hands like crazy and you can't believe it
 
MoryMorte

MoryMorte

Rock Star
Joined
May 10, 2016
Total posts
298
Chips
0
I just take a deep breath, step away from the tables for a few minutes, then try to forget about it, and go on to the next table or tournament. These players don't really care enough to play poker, so I just try to play my game and take advantage of their mistakes, which is bound to happen. But it does take discipline to not go on tilt. If you are really upset, take the day off to recharge, don't try to get revenge.

There are usually two things that happen:
1) Try to get revenge by playing really good and specially a bit tighter when I face these people. Sometime I think playing a bit stickier helps depending on the fish. Usually I will be able to bust these players. Boy that feels good lol
2) I go on tilt and shove where I shouldn't and get busted.
I should really try to avoid this from happening which is hard. I used to have a better discipline on poker table. I need to get that back
 
albosaltenio

albosaltenio

Legend
Joined
Jul 27, 2013
Total posts
1,977
Awards
4
Chips
0
I think there is nothing to do just breathe and move , it's just luck
 
A

AceRagdotcom

Rising Star
Joined
May 31, 2016
Total posts
5
Chips
0
Go home and poker stove the hands, then realize you werent REALLY that far ahead lol. Orrr just focus and believe in the process, if you are playing good poker and they are not, luck will equalize and they will bleed money to you.
 
B

beckyg89

Rock Star
Joined
Jan 31, 2016
Total posts
100
Chips
0
The mental game of poker is so important. Imo the most important tool for long term success in poker is that the only thing which matters is making the best decision you possibly can at any given moment. The results should not factor into your thought process ideally. Now this is the principle but it's way more difficult than it sounds. Tilt happens and when it does you need to have a strat to deal with it. If you feel yourself mindlessly clicking buttons try taking your hand of the mouse and speaking through each decision before making it.
 
MoryMorte

MoryMorte

Rock Star
Joined
May 10, 2016
Total posts
298
Chips
0
Go home and poker stove the hands, then realize you werent REALLY that far ahead lol. Orrr just focus and believe in the process, if you are playing good poker and they are not, luck will equalize and they will bleed money to you.


I totally hear you. Sometimes you are not ahead that much and you loose the hand. I know eventually that's how poker works. But sometimes you loose your hand to someone that just plays really crazy. Like the other day, I had someone very loose. I picked up AA and shoved beacuse I knew he is going to call me with a really wide range of hands. He called with A10o and got two 10 on flop and I got busted. I was not happy lol
 
MoryMorte

MoryMorte

Rock Star
Joined
May 10, 2016
Total posts
298
Chips
0
The mental game of poker is so important. Imo the most important tool for long term success in poker is that the only thing which matters is making the best decision you possibly can at any given moment. The results should not factor into your thought process ideally. Now this is the principle but it's way more difficult than it sounds. Tilt happens and when it does you need to have a strat to deal with it. If you feel yourself mindlessly clicking buttons try taking your hand of the mouse and speaking through each decision before making it.

Yup. Thought process is really important. Sometimes I know that the guy has it but just can't fold. I do my thought process and conclude that he/she has it but just won't fold IDK why :|
 
Top