bullishwwd

bullishwwd

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Just slow down and think through all of the aspects. What are you trying to represent it this bluff? How often does your opponent think you will be taking thins line with a k?
Judging from experience flat calling a k high flop then re-raising when another k hits the turn is a very peculiar play and would have rang bluff bells in my head too.
Most players will try to extract value and disguise the strength of their hand and a re-raise on the turn looks like your chasing him away.
it sounds like your read was correct so in improving the frequency your bluffs will work i would do two things:
1. Think hard about what range you are representing
2. If you have a good read and want to pull the trigger on a bluff, put your opponent to a decision. Raise more and don't leave him room to exercise his good read
I like this logic and clarity of presentation as well. Good explanation!

L

LaserCats

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pick a better, easier spot to bluff if it seems unlear at all... You can win chips with good cards and great draws on a semi bluff.

G

gsxr5221

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just slow down and think through all of the aspects. What are you trying to represent it this bluff? How often does your opponent think you will be taking thins line with a k?
Judging from experience flat calling a k high flop then re-raising when another k hits the turn is a very peculiar play and would have rang bluff bells in my head too.
Most players will try to extract value and disguise the strength of their hand and a re-raise on the turn looks like your chasing him away.
it sounds like your read was correct so in improving the frequency your bluffs will work i would do two things:
1. Think hard about what range you are representing
2. If you have a good read and want to pull the trigger on a bluff, put your opponent to a decision. Raise more and don't leave him room to exercise his good read

Good Response. I agree with a lot you are saying here. The other thing is that you mentioned you have maintained a tight image but then open on the button for 2.5X which is a wider range than you could be playing in other positions.

On the flop if he had a set about 85% of the time live players at that stake will check raise you on your c-bet there so when he leads out you can almost rule out a set of 4s, or 6s etc. A strong King is possible in his range however people like to re raise preflop in that area with AK or KQ with the blinds at that level for that stake even when they are oop. But even still I would think of a check raise on that flop with one of those holdings from your opponent there as well. So now you have to look at what hands he could possibly be reppin to lead out on this flop where he wouldn't want you to c-bet.

Possibilities would be the different straight draw combos, 56, 57, 45, 34, etc. since he would have a pair with a draw on top...Medium Pocket pair is also part of his range here or a king with weak kicker. (You could still include sets, however I feel it is very slim he is holding one at this point).

All of the responses with your re raise on the turn about trying to rep the king on the turn are true about it alarming a bluff here for two reasons I see..(Would be a sick play if you had a boat or trip kings there though).

1. You flat call on flop with the king out after raising preflop, then you re raise when another king hits on the turn after he fires a second barrel so from his standpoint why are you re raising with a king here after hes fired two barrels into you with the board representing the possibility that you have trip kings (you can ask yourself, would this line make since to me for what I am representing)
2. I believe your re raise amount was too much making it 4x his raise on the turn after you only raised it 2.5x pre..The 2.5 pre tells me your looking for one of two things.

A. To steal the blinds with a marginal holding or
B. your playing a marginal holding with flop potential hand but want to control the pot size by keeping it small.

So when you raise the 4x his raise here you are blowing the pot up after you already made it clear that you wanted to control the pot size pre. (especially after you float the flop)

Good luck in the future

TheKAAHK

TheKAAHK

CardsChat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Digging this thread. Good stuff here!

One thing has stuck with me here though"

"and so I started to look for an opportunity for a spot to pull a big bluff"

IMO one should never start a hand specifically looking to bluff it. If you have history with your opponent/opponents, and find yourself in a spot where a bluff would be profitable then by all means go for it. But when you start a hand with bluffing in mind you can be blinded by the effort and completely miss valuable information about the hand. In this case it was the fact that your opponent was a drooler who was so distracted by his pretty little pair that he wouldn't notice that there was a paired board even if it slapped him in the face. Twice.

MediaBLITZ

MediaBLITZ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Very good thread - but I might have to kinda disagree (but maybe not) with "should never start a hand specifically looking to bluff it." I say "kinda" only because of the word "specifcally". If you mean by that you should not start a hand thinking you are going to run a bluff by hell or highwater (do it no matter what) then yes - 100% agree. And I do believe that is what you are saying
However I think it should be said that it is okay to look for those opportunities when you see a table or an opponent who is susceptible to it. I just did this last night a couple times at my table (tight passive) and pulled them off. Where the OP went wrong (and many other people do) is not realizing that pulling a bluff off is like waiting for the perfect storm. A lot of factors should align before that "spot" to bluff is open.
If you are not playing on a level that defines "what does my opponent think I have (or does he even care?)", then you probably should not be trying to run too many bluffs (or even looking for those opportunities).
You have listed one factor - what level is your opponent playing on. Does he even give a thought to what you might be holding? If not, he is just not very bluffable. If he has top pair he might go to his grave with it (especially if he has a kicker to go with it).
Some of the factors that need to align are (in no particular order):
Table Image - Yours and Theirs (CRITICAL POINT - Is the other guy even thinking about what you might have? If not, bluffing is pretty pointless)
Board Texture
How Many in the Hand
Stack Sizes
Table Limit
I'm sure someone else can come up with some more (or elaborate on what's there) - I'm just not a patient poster :p
But IMO I think it's okay to look for those opportunities when the factors needed present themselves to you. You just need to know the factors and determine if the perfect storm is presenting itself to you.

Digging this thread. Good stuff here!

One thing has stuck with me here though"

"and so I started to look for an opportunity for a spot to pull a big bluff"

IMO one should never start a hand specifically looking to bluff it. If you have history with your opponent/opponents, and find yourself in a spot where a bluff would be profitable then by all means go for it. But when you start a hand with bluffing in mind you can be blinded by the effort and completely miss valuable information about the hand. In this case it was the fact that your opponent was a drooler who was so distracted by his pretty little pair that he wouldn't notice that there was a paired board even if it slapped him in the face. Twice.

TheKAAHK

TheKAAHK

CardsChat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Very good thread - but I might have to kinda disagree (but maybe not) with "should never start a hand specifically looking to bluff it." I say "kinda" only because of the word "specifcally". If you mean by that you should not start a hand thinking you are going to run a bluff by hell or highwater (do it no matter what) then yes - 100% agree. And I do believe that is what you are saying
However I think it should be said that it is okay to look for those opportunities when you see a table or an opponent who is susceptible to it. I just did this last night a couple times at my table (tight passive) and pulled them off. Where the OP went wrong (and many other people do) is not realizing that pulling a bluff off is like waiting for the perfect storm. A lot of factors should align before that "spot" to bluff is open.
If you are not playing on a level that defines "what does my opponent think I have (or does he even care?)", then you probably should not be trying to run too many bluffs (or even looking for those opportunities).
You have listed one factor - what level is your opponent playing on. Does he even give a thought to what you might be holding? If not, he is just not very bluffable. If he has top pair he might go to his grave with it (especially if he has a kicker to go with it).
Some of the factors that need to align are (in no particular order):
Table Image - Yours and Theirs (CRITICAL POINT - Is the other guy even thinking about what you might have? If not, bluffing is pretty pointless)
Board Texture
How Many in the Hand
Stack Sizes
Table Limit
I'm sure someone else can come up with some more (or elaborate on what's there) - I'm just not a patient poster :p
But IMO I think it's okay to look for those opportunities when the factors needed present themselves to you. You just need to know the factors and determine if the perfect storm is presenting itself to you.

Yeah, that's what I was saying.

Thanks for elaborating more on that for me :)

D

dlam

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A paired board on the flop or turn is most difficult to play HU in Holden. I find it easier to play a pair board in Omaha. A pair board on the flop or turn you are either way ahead or way behind against trips or better I think he obviously did believe you had an over pair either Most players with trips or better will generally not push until the river unless theres a str8 or flush draw Iif theres a monster like a FH they play it slowly A player with just a pair or overpair will play passive too by check calling

Last edited:
F

fugitive67

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
to waaaaay over simplify it, i prefer check raise, but betting out and continuing to fire can work

but like anything there are so many other factors ... you did feel you had a tight table image, which certainly helps

then, of course, not all board pairings are created equal ... A 6 6, is diff. from 2 6 6 ... ideally you are hoping that the other players totally whiffed and did not have a decent pocket pair either ... forcing them to make a stone cold bluff back at you or just give it up

in your particular instance, he probably didn't put you on a King, so he decision was more about whether you had a 6 or like AQ or AJ ... he probably put you on like an AQ

Last edited: