How to adjust your strategy to tournament structure

peaceofcoke

peaceofcoke

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi everyone, we all know how to adjust your strategy to table size, villains, the three streets etc. But how in Aces name can you adjust your game to tournament structure?
e.g. a 5-8 min suites everyone, you can play your cards adhering to the traditional strategies. VPIP 21-PFR 15- 3bet10. but how must one adjust it to a turbo or hyper tournament with 2-3 min shortstacked?

Adi8877

Adi8877

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do not know what level you are playing, and what site, but my my case, at micro, low level the 21-15-10 does not fit, work. Or at least follow that I am less profitable.

But I play 30+% of turbo, hyper tourneys, where I have 35+% ITM, if I am in the money, it goes really wild, mostly depends on the other players, some follow the same like me, so even under 5BB I play quiet tight against them, but there are the other 2 main type, the calling stations, and those who do not recognize it is turbo or hyper, so they still wait for monsters until their stack burns by blind raise, the favorite oppononents, they usually have pretty good stats anyway.

Generally under 5 BB every suited connector from 76 is allin for me from any position. from mid, late positions, I can't even make a rule, sometimes, even the worst cards good for a steal against the monster catchers, as they can fold BB even from 2BB without reason, no pay raise, bubble.

Even I do not get totally correct the turbos, especially hypers, but there are plenty guys, whose totally out of any logic, knowledge what they play, they just register for fun and for the fast game, I guess.

I have tried the hyper 1 table SNGs, and watched the regulars there, I recommend you try that, you can pick up something, how the profitable hyper regs play there, as almost all the time with 4-5 players the average stack size goes down under 5BB

Yesterday, I got call from them from BB with cards like 76o, 24s and they were about relegate exactly before money, they had room to fold.... so really hard to set a range, how to play it under 5BB

Oh, I forget the other favorite ones, the limping maniacs, whose are able to limp with everything from early position, too, and getting just a mini-raise, they fold... from 4-5 BB... hard to make sense in hyper tourneys, the turbo, with 5 min blinds is different, highly different.

J

JimTheBadger

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Study short stack poker. It’s different when everyone is usually 5-10 bbs deep compared to your average tournament with average stacks sizes between 20 and 40 bbs. Also familiar yourself with some basic ICM but that’s standard for any tournament player now.

peaceofcoke

peaceofcoke

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I do not know what level you are playing, and what site, but my my case, at micro, low level the 21-15-10 does not fit, work. Or at least follow that I am less profitable.

But I play 30+% of turbo, hyper tourneys, where I have 35+% ITM, if I am in the money, it goes really wild, mostly depends on the other players, some follow the same like me, so even under 5BB I play quiet tight against them, but there are the other 2 main type, the calling stations, and those who do not recognize it is turbo or hyper, so they still wait for monsters until their stack burns by blind raise, the favorite oppononents, they usually have pretty good stats anyway.

Generally under 5 BB every suited connector from 76 is allin for me from any position. from mid, late positions, I can't even make a rule, sometimes, even the worst cards good for a steal against the monster catchers, as they can fold BB even from 2BB without reason, no pay raise, bubble.

Even I do not get totally correct the turbos, especially hypers, but there are plenty guys, whose totally out of any logic, knowledge what they play, they just register for fun and for the fast game, I guess.

I have tried the hyper 1 table SNGs, and watched the regulars there, I recommend you try that, you can pick up something, how the profitable hyper regs play there, as almost all the time with 4-5 players the average stack size goes down under 5BB

Yesterday, I got call from them from BB with cards like 76o, 24s and they were about relegate exactly before money, they had room to fold.... so really hard to set a range, how to play it under 5BB

Oh, I forget the other favorite ones, the limping maniacs, whose are able to limp with everything from early position, too, and getting just a mini-raise, they fold... from 4-5 BB... hard to make sense in hyper tourneys, the turbo, with 5 min blinds is different, highly different.

35% is kind of too much, you FS to Folds will be high and will cost you a lot, furthermore,
there is no reason to wait until you have 5 BBs. your M-ratio will be around 2, which means you have only one option, all in even with 3To 27o 32o etc.

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Generally I wouldn't adjust to level length.

What I mean by this: If blinds are 2 mins long, you'll be in a lot more situations with 5bb and it's important to know these ranges better.

But when deciding on a range/line, level length usually shouldn't impact your decision. I'm going to shove a very similar range with 5bb UTG if blinds are about to go up or they're not.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree with Collin. If there are any adjustments to blind structure, they are for sure minor compared to other adjustments like adjusting to individual opponents and table dynamics. ICMizer does actually differentiate between regular speed and turbo SnGs. But if you try to run a calculation, the output is exactly the same. So I am not even sure, why they choose to have both.

Of course player pool tendencies might be somewhat different, and short stacks will be more common in a turbo. But there are also variations from tournament to tournament. Sometimes a tournament will play out really fast, if its full of wild maniacs or people going for the win and not caring about a min-cash. And other times the bubble or final table will drag out forever pushing the average stack size way down even in a regular speed tournament.

BelFish

BelFish

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Another interesting question, if we have, for example, 10BB at the moment when we need to make a decision, but after a minute or even after 20 seconds, these 10BB will turn into 6.7BB or 5BB. Maybe depending on the rate of growth of the blinds in the tournament, for some tournaments it is better to make a decision as if we are already at the next blind level, while for others it is better to act based on the current level...

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
There is really not a adjustment I would make but you need to be award of the levels and where you are. If you sit waiting for a hand you may blind out or become so short before you realize it.The faster the levels the more you want to be aware of the time left. Say you have 16BB and the next hand the blinds go up and you hit the BB. Some structure may have you going from 1K/2K to say 2K/4K. well you stack will go from a comfortable 16BB to 7BB once you put in you BB next hand. By being aware of whats about to happen and depending on your holding and what the table is like, you may want to push a hand before the level change that you would normally would fold with that stack. Its not about making the change but being aware of what happening around you more.