HOH Volume 1 - Book Discussion Part 2

Makwa

Makwa

Undesirable Predator
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nothing wrong with quoting daks, in fact, for educational purposes, you can quote up to 10% of any given book or article without worrying about copyright.

Anyhoo, Im mixing it up more too, txs to 'Action Dan,' and am focusing on making myself harder to read (misdirection)... like a stealth poker player...

F

FITEMAN

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
HOH came in the mail today

HOH came in the mail from Amazon today. Only $13.00. Can't wait to join the discussion.

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well start reading and catch up with me m- not much discussion going on right now!

andosalado

andosalado

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hi, i would like to join this discusion since i reacently started to read harrinton on holdem vol1, and i'm getting very interested in the thing he puts in the book.
By now i started to try some of the things he says, but the one thing i can get to work for me is the mixing of the styles while you play, if any of you have managed to do it right please send me a few tips, because the book it's not very expecificic about it.

Steveg1976

Steveg1976

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
^^ don't be too concerned with mixing up styles right now if you are just beginning and aren't good at it. That is a part of your game that you can develop later after you have gained a lot more experience. For now being aware that not all players play the same way and being able to identify the differences is enough. imo

RickH2005

RickH2005

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hi, i would like to join this discusion since i reacently started to read harrinton on holdem vol1, and i'm getting very interested in the thing he puts in the book.
By now i started to try some of the things he says, but the one thing i can get to work for me is the mixing of the styles while you play, if any of you have managed to do it right please send me a few tips, because the book it's not very expecificic about it.
Like HOH said--basically get used to which ever style you are comfortable with FIRST! And then, after you are comfortable there, then start mixing it up. But 1st you need to learn just what exactly what makes those styles what they are, and learn how to use them properly!:smile:

Makwa

Makwa

Undesirable Predator
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Mixing it Up: I'm normally TAG, but thanks to Harrington and people like Hansen and Lindgren, I'm now playing more small prs and suited connectors (with gaps sometimes) when I can get in cheap. Playing marginal hands can flop you some monsters... I'll also play K or Qx sometimes, just to mix things up some more... then go to super tight for a few orbits.. I'm sure a lot of peeps think I am a donkey, but I ain't, and I'm glad they think I'm a fool when I take down a pot w Q9o...

Hesaf

Hesaf

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Also pay attention to the inflection point and the M-zones.
Lots of good stuff and the tournament indicator supports this approach!!:cool:

Makwa

Makwa

Undesirable Predator
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Also pay attention to the inflection point and the M-zones.
Lots of good stuff and the tournament indicator supports this approach!!:cool:
We are still on Vol. 1 early on, that stuff comes later. Read whats happening before posting is always a good idea, and try to follow the discussion and add to it.

andosalado

andosalado

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have a little doubt about the styles part: When he suggest wich opening hands work for each style, doesn't explain what he means with opening. What is opening? Making a 3bb raise? Just limp? calling a previous limper? Raising a previous raiser?

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have a little doubt about the styles part: When he suggest wich opening hands work for each style, doesn't explain what he means with opening. What is opening? Making a 3bb raise? Just limp? calling a previous limper? Raising a previous raiser?
An "Opening hand" is a playable hand.
I would guess to say opening is raising just because, for the most part, calling and limping are not in good form, which he had mentioned.
If unclear, ask another question.

Goldog

Goldog

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Calling has it's place, but it's best to open for a raise. This'll help define the possible hands against you and knock out the blinds. 3.5X or "the pot" is a good amount.

Using the TAG strategy early in the tourny limping with some hands some of the time is advisable. Examples are getting in cheap with a small pair or suited connectors. Occasionally with AA, AK for deception (although I personally find it very difficult).

goldog

Makwa

Makwa

Undesirable Predator
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey Debi, this thread reminds me of the sticky tape at the farm for flies... sooner or later might as well take it down???

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I un-stuck it cause I am a very bad bus driver.

Chiefer

Chiefer

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i was thinking about this thread today for some reason. this could be a good thread if we kept up on it. lol.

L

LizzyJ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have been really putting in alot of time on the HOH books. What I have been doing is reading the theory part several times then i try to answer his questions on the examples.

How depressing.

Now I know why Dan is considered one of the best players in the world. I have yet to answer any of his examples the way he would play them.

Not one.

On the positive side, the more I improve as a player the more I can appreciate his skill level. He spends a lot of time thinking what the other player could have and how to play against them. I'm trying to get to that level but it's not easy.

He is world class.

jaymfc

jaymfc

R.I.P DJ & Buck
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
thats for sure Lizzy , thinking is the hard part , I'm always to busy playing the hand to think lol . I'm reading along but remembering it and learning to think like that without straining my brain is the problem . I'll just have to read it over and over to get some small part of it . keep reading people :)