High value tourneys

H

Hairybiker223

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
When it comes to high value tourneys, let's say anything from USD50+, do you always try to qualify through a satellite, or do you just buy straight in?

Also, do you rebuy a lot in rebuys? Personally, I don't like to, I really don't see the point as you've already doubled (at the minimum) your entry fee.

Good luck at the tables this weekend!

gaarsiass

gaarsiass

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
PL
Chips
Personally, I rarely use satellites, I don't know why, because I played a few times and I won almost 80%, but somehow I love satellites and prefer to buy a ticket. As for the re-buy, if I already register for the tournament with such a possibility, which I rarely do, I rebuy only once, if I lose the second time, I resign from the tournament.

H

Hairybiker223

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Personally, I rarely use satellites, I don't know why, because I played a few times and I won almost 80%, but somehow I love satellites and prefer to buy a ticket. As for the re-buy, if I already register for the tournament with such a possibility, which I rarely do, I rebuy only once, if I lose the second time, I resign from the tournament.

So you mainly use satellites then?

I used to enter straight through, but am now enjoying trying to qualify instead. I've only been able to use the lockdown as an opportunity to do this, as I've barely been in the office since last March. Prior to the pandemic, I was in the office 5 long days a week, sometimes 6, so trying to squeeze in a satellite before a tourney, was near enough impossible.

gaarsiass

gaarsiass

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
PL
Chips
So you mainly use satellites then?

I used to enter straight through, but am now enjoying trying to qualify instead. I've only been able to use the lockdown as an opportunity to do this, as I've barely been in the office since last March. Prior to the pandemic, I was in the office 5 long days a week, sometimes 6, so trying to squeeze in a satellite before a tourney, was near enough impossible.

No, i not use satelite a lot, a few times i used and i win but usually i buy prize for turnament. When i go to satelite i must Play 2-3 hour sometimes more, next i go Play turnament next a few hour for me is too long to Play, not always i have a full day to Play and i think that is reason why i NO Play satelite.
If someone have a lot of time i recommend to Play satelite, in my opinion is easier than normal turnament.

sharipov8090

sharipov8090

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Each player plays according to their own capabilities-according to the bankroll.But sometimes you want to play an expensive tournament, for example, some series.And people are trying to qualify for the main event through satellites.But unfortunately, I do not know whether it is good or bad.There were times when I raised the bankroll with such actions, but mostly it does not bring results.

black and

black and

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I always try to get a place in such tournaments by playing in satellites. My bankroll management system does not allow me to spend more than I can afford.

R

redmast

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don’t play more than $ 12.5 to enter the tournament. It is more profitable to try several times through satellites to get an expensive ticket to an expensive tournament.

manzanillo53

manzanillo53

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have never played in a 50+ buy-in on line yet. I try to avoid the rebuy tournaments unless it is only for the first 30 mins. Too many rebuys just means more BS poker. Players going all-in nothing knowing they can just rebuy. Another PP is tournaments' that pay 300 players starting at 3 cents for the first 100 out. Min payout should be 1 dollar with less payouts.

D

donpiatnik

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You need a large bankroll to play 50+ tournaments. And if the satellites are going well (which are usually turbo or hyper turbo tournaments), and you have time for them...silly thing not to play on them.

L

LFC_yllnwa

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Entering a tournament with a big buy-in is very difficult mentally for many players, because not every player can afford to lose a big buy-in. And I think when any player pays a lot and quickly leaves the tournament will worry). When a player is worried, it is impossible to show good results and not think about what percentage of the buy-in he will be able to regain.. Head problems are very important in poker, so I think you should use qualifications if you can. Of course, it is not always possible to qualify and get into a big tournament, but it is an experience, and I choose to try and experience the game, rather than pay a buy-in, worry, leave the tournament and lose a lot of money... Satellites are really amazing tournaments, and I think in a few years, the popularity of these tournaments will grow even more :)

E

EarnDAStack

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it's important to keep in mind that every decision you make so far as tournament buy ins should be related to the size of your bankroll at the time. Trying to satellite into tournaments that are way outside of responsible Bankroll Management parameters is going to leave you in spots where you're playing for a reasonable amount of money compared to your regular games and it might be difficult for some to make the best poker decision and not the one based on securing the most money from the individual tournament. Secondly you'll be playing better players than at your regular stakes and only a small percentage of players cash anyway adding more stress to the situation. And lastly depending on when the tournament starts and the satellite ends there's going to be some missed value from some of the weaker players already being out. I'd recommend not playing satellites that are to games too far above your average buy in range and think of them as more of a positive EV opportunity when played with volume as opposed to a lottery ticket to a tournament you're only going to cash in less than 20% of the time on average. And remember you only have so much room for tables so if you're more profitable with other games open than the satellite and the tournament you satty into you should just have that game up.

Just my thoughts on the topic, I hope it helps or at least offers something you might not have thought of yet and GL on your grind

N

natelearnspoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Even if you’re an excellent satellite player, it’s better just to buy into major tournaments for a couple of reasons. First, satellites are difficult to win especially with variance so there’s no guarantee that you’ll be able to get a seat for less than the entry fee of the main tournament. Second, it’s more effort than needed. If you can’t afford outright to enter the big tournament, then satellites are viable though incredibly risky and not a good +EV move in my opinion.

Roller

Roller

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
If your playing with in your bankroll then simply pay the price and if your giving it a shot then suggestion would be to satellite in.

E

eagleaces

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I buy in

When it comes to high value tourneys, let's say anything from USD50+, do you always try to qualify through a satellite, or do you just buy straight in?

Also, do you rebuy a lot in rebuys? Personally, I don't like to, I really don't see the point as you've already doubled (at the minimum) your entry fee.

I buy in with no sats. The rebuys i always have three or i dont play rebuy games. I only rebuy if i hit a cooler or bad beat or say i get it in with ace high flush draw three way and dont get there. I find Only one rebuy increases your variance and having the extra bullets in a format that promotes rebuys is more profitable.

pljosko

pljosko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The one who pays the buy in for the USD50 + tournament is either a top player or a fool. I don’t see myself in either of those two groups.

nuttea

nuttea

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

my opinion is that playing satellites is already a bad idea. unless, they are not at a regular rate (8-10 minutes), in another case, this is a continuous lottery, with terrible payouts and structure. if it is possible to play directly according to the bankroll. it is better that way. or if there are satellites with a good structure (not to be confused with a guarantee)

V

vittopio

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I think it's a bad idea to play satellites for tournaments that you can't bankroll! You won't be able to play them properly! The only exception is events that can change your life ( for example, Venom)

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it's a bad idea to play satellites for tournaments that you can't bankroll! You won't be able to play them properly! The only exception is events that can change your life ( for example, Venom)

I think, it depends on, why you play. For recreational players I can see the appeal of satellites looking for that chance to get lucky and turn a small amount of money into something much bigger. Pretty much like buying a lottery ticket.

But for people, who are looking to play poker for profit, satellites are mostly a trap. If we are not bankrolled for at tournament, its better to take a "shot" by playing a satellite than by buying in directly, since we spend less money that way. But we are still taking "shots", and while all of us have done that from time to time, it really should be kept at a minimum. "Shots" usually fail, so all, we are doing, is mostly to postpone the time, where we have build up enough bankroll to genuinely move up.

Which we should also do just one step at a time. If we are used to playing 11$ tournament and buy into a 88$ tournament, we are likely going to find ourselfes outmatched by the majority of the field. And as you say, we are liking going to end up playing with "scared money", if we run deep, and the next payjump is now almost the size of our entire bankroll. So instead we should continue to play 11$ tournaments and gradually add more and more 16,5 and 22$ tournaments to our mix.

P

popstani

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I’m pretty good in satellites, so I play them as much as I can. I’m a recreational player, and even if I can afford higher buy-in tournament to play, I always try to play through satellites.

messats

messats

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
LC
Chips

high value tourneys is the way to go, this is because most of the bad players wont be able to take part in it so less suckouts, satellites are an inexpensive way to qualify for a major tourney but be wary of bad players

D

DIANTA

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
MTTs $20+ I qualify playing sats. Reason - Bankroll. But up to $20 BI, I prefer buy in.
As for rebuy - I have never did it, but did addons if it was logical.