Getting to the final table

Galmedic

Galmedic

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well never forget the opening of the movie Rounders... Matt Damon's character goes 'Now, you basically just want to win one BIG hand every hour'. Alas, limp, free sneak peeks if your cards are luke warm perhaps, but I find playing very conservative early on helps.

In fact, I have found lately right before cashing - everyone tightens up so this is when I tend to let loose a bit, mostly because most people I figure are thinking 'I'm just not going to risk the 3 hours I put in while I'm 15 minutes away from at least cashing in this tournament ' so they fold more often.

I'm 3 years new to poker so, this might not be good advice.

I think your advice is worth a go

SoCalGrndR1

SoCalGrndR1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I find myself in this position as well. I can start a tournament really well and outplay some weaker players effectively. I am trying to analyze my play after the first couple of hours. There was a new thread created around playing out of position that I am going to follow intently. Protential has already commented that he found several issues with the content of the thread, I have asked along with several others for specific feedback on his thoughts.

I am going to be focusing on:
- Playing out of position
- Stack sizes

SoCal

M

Manifestor

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
play more hands and be aggressive, watch the position at the table, against aggressive players only play with a good hand

F

fievr

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I’ve noticed lately that I have no problem getting to top position at the beginning of a tourney but sadly loose my grip as middle looms. With even a short stack going into the bubble and final phase I can build my stack again. Why is my mid game lagging??

As the tournament progresses, your chip count decreases considerably. You can not open hands in the same way when you were 50bb that when you are 20 or 15bb you will often find that situation in final stages and therefore you must be more selective because you will be in a push or fold situation

P

pato1717

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Long tournament use to turn into a boring situation, when all the players are playing tight... All the final tables that i reach, was adapting my strategy byy the stage and rivals.
The very first final table what i play, i was so nerveous that i lose all my stack in two hands.

Sorry for my english

57noona

57noona

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Thanks for all the good advice for the middle of a tournament. I will put it to good use.

K

Kostik007

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I’ve noticed lately that I have no problem getting to top position at the beginning of a tourney but sadly loose my grip as middle looms. With even a short stack going into the bubble and final phase I can build my stack again. Why is my mid game lagging??
in online tournaments you need a lot of luck to get to the final table and it upsets me, and it's an offline tournament I have no money

vov4ik

vov4ik

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Better of course in the game if you type a normal stack at the beginning of the tournament, then later in the tournament play only on good cards on which you can raise or play all-in!