playtheman

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This must be your lesson not to play anymore 94 :D

I wasnt playing the card preflop.
Maybe next time ill make sure its 95 suited so then I can have a straight option.

Lesson learned about preflop but I don't think the postflop play is why the hand was bad.

Anyway, its starting again now so off we go! :D

:party:

R

rhombus

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Easy fold for Hellmuth, he can dodge bullets for the rest of us mortals difficult :D

playtheman

playtheman

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
tourney is on a break and im doing bad compared to the last time I played, although the field is smaller this week.

lil over 11 bigs :( got ak in vs JJ pre and they hit a set (Shouldnt have risked my stack so early on, lessons being learned constantly!)

Wing and a prayer.

el_magiciann

el_magiciann

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think its hard to throw away any 2 pairs you've made , but i easily can throw them if it is big buy in tourney because the better players in. Even at CC freerolls i've seen a player that folded his full house because he knew he had the bottom of it.

S

SwiftHax

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ouch, these situations happen. Your play was ok, but I might even consider folding worrying that the 6 might have hit him. Then again, he was doing these plays without much of a hand, so I think you played it alright. He might even show some random two pairs like 64 and ect.

I ran into a set on CC Freeroll this Saturday with a two-pair. I was kind of short and had A2s in the SB. A lot of limpers behind, so I called the big blind as well and went to see a flop. It was A24 and I lead with 2/3 and got raised. I was thinking that I might be against pocket 4s there, but I snaped out and shoved. Sadly, those were pocket 4s and I went out.

playtheman

playtheman

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Oddly enough. I lasted longer in yesterday's Sunday storm than I did in the last weeks one and I didn't get a hand worth stealing with. Not to mention I got nowhere near my stack size of the first tourney.

Yesterday 5k - 600 - 8k to bust is how my chips went. Shoved A 9 with 10 bigs vs A10 ..finished 10 thousandth ish of 40 thousand

Last week was 5k -10k -32-35k to bust. Finished 12 thousandth.
I guess it's just the ebb and flow of poker.

So the lesson is that had I folded that two pair hand I might have cash well. (Preflight fold I mean) I still think most of the time I'm good here.

H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hard to get away from it.

Such situations would be if Im near bubble say one step away or the buyin is so high or opponent is so tight.

T

T_slu4ay

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
its a standart cooler, u gonna out of tourneys very often in that way((

P

pallav_pro

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i think you played it just fine.
But the BB just played his hand superbly just disguising the strength of his hand.
Moreover you were somewhat unlucky as he flopped his sets and you flopped 2 pairs simultaneously.It is just hard for you to get away.
Here you have not specified is he playing tight or loose on your table.
But you could have also put him on 2 pairs of J9 or J6 after betting on turn.

T

teplovoz

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
if you want win tourney you must risk at once

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
if you're STEALING (as you described) then it doesn't matter one lick what your actual 2 cards are. it's kinda nice they are suited I guess....but really who gives a rip what his hand is? good players are capable of playing any 2 cards from the button or cutoff, or heck even the hijack...as long as the situation is ripe for stealing (so if you raised the last 4 times it folded to you, maybe skip the 94....if you've got a reasonable image then raise up that 94 all day long!).

if one more person makes a comment like "don't play 94" I'm gonna reach out across your screen and give you a titty-twister! :)

so...the question is not about "gee whiz...is 94 good enough to steal with?" the question is about can you get away when you flop a well disguised monster vs an under-repped hand?

I cannot.

I think you played it fine and he got VERY VERY VERY lucky to have such a set-up hand drop in his lap. If the flop comes T94 you probably get his whole entire stack. I don't know what on earth he is thinking flatting you from the blinds....duh....

X at Tripaces

X at Tripaces

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good play. Like many have said... if your trying to STEAL, then it doesnt matter what cards you have. For him to slow play the set, thats unlucky for you (unless you had been "stealing" alot from late positions... then i would play the JJ just like he did. Without a RR from him, you cant possibly put him on a set, and believe you have the best hand.

G

guutox

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You played well but the villain played much better, there's no use being afraid and stop trying to steal the blinds, the game must go on, keep playing so you will go far.
Good luck in the next tournament.

playtheman

playtheman

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks for all the replies guys.
great to have people to discuss poker with as none of my friends understand the game.

I played in the Sunday storm again last night.
Was running luke warm.
34k people I think. Made it to 6500th. And busted with AQ suited vs 77. Had 12-14 bb so had no choice to but to shove after his 2.5xbb raise. He had made the same raise quite a few times so I put him on a small to medium pair or J10 QJ maybe KQ so I too take the chance..
He tanked a bit before calling as I had just over a third of his stack.
And he was a decent player.
All in all I wasn't mad busting 1k before the money as I felt I played quite well to last so long, while not actually making great hands. Or going to show down much at all.

Oh well onto the next one!

babydrago9

babydrago9

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Because of the fact the board was as dry as it was, i find it hard to put him on a hand which you beat. You say he shoved AJo before, but why wouldn't he have raised that on the flop this time. To me its clear he doesn't have just a jack, he either is beating your hand or something like 78, but IMO thats unlikely. When you bet a little over half pot twice its kinda hard for you to be bluffing because the texture isn't really one to do it on and the 6 was pretty much a brick.
I'm not sure though, you may be winning this like 25% of the time or something if this particular player has a semi bluff shoving range there, so given the price you were getting it may be a decent enough call to make a profit/breakeven, but im not sure.

T0mmmi

T0mmmi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey guys,

So I played the sunday storm for the first time today
Busted out in a lowly 12 thousandth of 40 thousand :/

I raised on the button with 94 suited trying to steal the blinds, (2.5x bet)
BB called and I flopped two pair

9 4 J rainbow

BB checks to me so I bet a lil over half pot.
He calls my bet. and the next card is a 6
he checks again
I again bet a lil over half pot and he shoves on me.
I called and he turns over JJ (I would have expected a reraise from him)
I called because he shoved AJ on J 7 2 board a few hands previously

Start of the hand I had about 22k and he had 24-5k, blinds 300/600
I had been playing tight and aggressive for the first 2 hours,
was 450th in chips at one point. I felt good.

So now im here licking my wounds and feeling sorry that a chance at 30k has slipped away.

Maybe trying to steal the blinds wasnt the right play as I didnt really need too as my tourney wasnt in danger, but I thought better to do it now then when I cant get away from my hand (ironic I know)

Does anyone else find it hard to get away from two pair like this?

Hi man !

In my opinion you made first and the most costly mistake by trying to steal with 94s >>> from that it was just bad, very bad Luck >>> by hitting two pairs on Flop >>> that was just more fuel in burning your chips...

If I look at it from Flop prospective> so you have hit 2 pairs >>> BUT >>>

1) you should realize that you do not have Top pair

2) you probably did not have any (or just some) history on that particular player

3) Villain gave you the rope and you just hanged yourself

I would recommend to tight your steal range and play it much tighter

Anyway Good Luck @TAbles !!!

L

LMelo1

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
OK two pairs! But he paid u 2 times... Im expexted something like a 3 of a kind in this hand...